BudRot

Experts find mass grave at ex-Catholic orphanage in Ireland

DUBLIN (AP) — A mass grave containing the remains of babies and young children has been discovered at a former Catholic orphanage in Ireland, government-appointed investigators announced Friday in a finding that offered the first conclusive proof following a historian's efforts to trace the fates of nearly 800 children who perished there.

The commission said DNA analysis of selected remains confirmed the ages of the dead ranged from 35 weeks to 3 years old and were buried chiefly in the 1950s, when the overcrowded facility was one of more than a dozen in Ireland offering shelter to orphans, unwed mothers and their children. The Tuam home closed in 1961.

The report found that the dead children may have been placed in underground chambers originally used to hold sewage. Corless said she found records stating that the sewage systems were used until 1937, when the home was connected to a modern water supply.

"Everything pointed to this area being a mass grave," said Corless, who recalled how local boys playing in the field had reported seeing a pile of bones in a hidden underground chamber there in the mid-1970s.

The government's commissioner for children, Katherine Zappone, said Friday's findings were "sad and disturbing." She pledged that the children's descendants would be consulted on providing proper burials and other memorials.

"We will honor their memory and make sure that we take the right actions now to treat their remains appropriately," Zappone said.

So such a sad part of history for Ireland. I'm glad some historian's were looking into where these children went.

Here is the link for the full story.

Just now, BudRot said:

I was expecting some priest jokes. :kappa:

But you didn't talk about the little altar boy.. :biblethump:

1 minute ago, Avelon said:

thats fucked up tbh whats this ww2?

No it's a fun friday night. :klappa:

3 minutes ago, Avelon said:

thats fucked up tbh whats this ww2?

It was in the 1950's so i guess Korean war was going on.

But I'm not too sure on why there were so many orphan's and death's in a fairly short period of time.