CheapTactic

Removable replies

3 minutes ago, Major_Push said:

yeah.

People might say that the user can just edit their post if they want to cover things up but that still allows us to know that something was said. 

soo...+1 for the ability to hide, rather than delete posts

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

GM3PM22.gif

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) GFL PROFILE ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) STEAM PROFILE ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) BattleTag: Doctersalt#1734 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1033049.png

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6 hours ago, Major_Push said:

-1 for deleting.

I'm not sure if members can hide their own posts, but if they can't then let them do that.

As it is right now, no one is supposed to be deleting posts for the sake of having some sort of record to show that something was said.

Deleting posts isn't needed. People should be able to hide their posts, though.

So?What's the difference?The original post that was deleted would stay in his account activity, while the one in the topic is gone.

02-416x277.jpg

2 minutes ago, CheapTactic said:

So?What's the difference?The original post that was deleted would stay in his account activity, while the one in the topic is gone.

Hmm...

Does it?

Let me see.

Deleting it removes it from forum activity.

"Be good people"

Posted  Edited by CheapTactic
3 minutes ago, Major_Push said:

Hmm...

Does it?

Let me see.

No, I am just saying, that if this is implemented then if someone deletes his post it should be shown in his activity, so situations where someone says shit to someone else and deleting it won't happen.

Edited by CheapTactic

02-416x277.jpg

Posted  Edited by Azura
52 minutes ago, CheapTactic said:

No, the post would be deleted from the database, therefore, deleted from the stats/activity.

49 minutes ago, CheapTactic said:

No, I am just saying, that if this is implemented then if someone deletes his post it should be shown in his activity, so situations where someone says shit to someone else and deleting it won't happen.

As I said earlier, it would take a lot of time to code this system, correct me if I'm wrong.

And what's the point of having the post counted in your stats if it isn't there?

Sounds like a easy spam method to boost your post count.

Why don't we ask @denros about this?

Edited by Azura

If you wish to talk to me, send me a PM but it's easier to reach me on Steam.

vf05UJb.jpg

1 minute ago, Azura said:

No, the post would be deleted from the database, therefore, deleted from the stats/activity.

As I said earlier, it would take a lot of time to code this system.

And what's the point of having the post counted in your stats if it isn't there?

Sounds like a easy spam method to boost your post count.

That's what I offered to the claim that people here made that someone can delete something and make someone else look stupid(even though its completely possible with the editing that exists now),

And who said it would be counted?Just let it stay in the activity and that's not, not counting it as a post.

02-416x277.jpg

1 minute ago, CheapTactic said:

That's what I offered to the claim that people here made that someone can delete something and make someone else look stupid(even though its completely possible with the editing that exists now),

And who said it would be counted?Just let it stay in the activity and that's not, not counting it as a post.

If it's possible with the existing, working system, why not use the current one?

Posts are deleted when they don't follow the guidelines, that's the only reason that should exist for removing posts on will / by force.

What you are asking for here is rather complicated, I was cba to explain it but here you go.

To create a system like this, the forums would need to use 2 database records for the same information.

Let's imagine that the current forum uses only two database tables, Users and Posts (there are atleast 10 more, this is just a example).

The User table prints out the User Info and the Post table prints the Post.

When you have a delete button, when you click it, that button sends out information like this:

if(isset($_GET['Delete']))
                            {
                                $deletepost = $_GET['Delete'];
                                $usrq = mysql_query("DELETE FROM Posts WHERE post = '".$forumpost."' ");
                                echo " Post Deleted";
                            }
<input type="button" value="delete" onClick="changeview('forums.php?delete=<? echo $forumpost;?>')">

There you have a button that deletes a post from the database, it does the trick but it deletes the post FOREVER and makes it not traceable anywhere.

While, for the thing that you want added, the "Post" table needs to be duplicated, meaning that with every forum post that is made, there would be two database entries for it in different locations. Which is a pain in the ass to set-up.

Now that we got this covered, let's explain furthermore why this is a waste of time.

With every post that is made, the forum sends out a INSERT command, that command can only be sent to ONE table at a time, meaning that there should be a system that detects new entries in Database 1 and adds it to Database 2 where it's backed up and safe, so many operations at a time could cause the site to malfunction.
Tho, an easier method can be used, where the script catches the post before it's deleted and sends out a INSERT command containing all the information of the post that is about to be deleted to Database 2, this would also take a lot of time since we use IPS CMS, which is not written by anyone from this community, so the understanding of the code would be a bit hard, except if you worked on it in the past.

I tried my best to be polite here and explain it in the most simple way I can, if you don't understand it I will explain to you once more, just say the word.

vf05UJb.jpg

6 minutes ago, Azura said:

If it's possible with the existing, working system, why not use the current one?

Posts are deleted when they don't follow the guidelines, that's the only reason that should exist for removing posts on will / by force.

What you are asking for here is rather complicated, I was cba to explain it but here you go.

To create a system like this, the forums would need to use 2 database records for the same information.

Let's imagine that the current forum uses only two database tables, Users and Posts (there are atleast 10 more, this is just a example).

The User table prints out the User Info and the Post table prints the Post.

When you have a delete button, when you click it, that button sends out information like this:

if(isset($_GET['Delete']))
                            {
                                $deletepost = $_GET['Delete'];
                                $usrq = mysql_query("DELETE FROM Posts WHERE post = '".$forumpost."' ");
                                echo " Post Deleted";
                            }

<input type="button" value="delete" onClick="changeview('forums.php?delete=<? echo $forumpost;?>')">

There you have a button that deletes a post from the database, it does the trick but it deletes the post FOREVER and makes it not traceable anywhere.

While, for the thing that you want added, the "Post" table needs to be duplicated, meaning that with every forum post that is made, there would be two database entries for it in different locations. Which is a pain in the ass to set-up.

Now that we got this covered, let's explain furthermore why this is a waste of time.

With every post that is made, the forum sends out a INSERT command, that command can only be sent to ONE table at a time, meaning that there should be a system that detects new entries in Database 1 and adds it to Database 2 where it's backed up and safe, so many operations at a time could cause the site to malfunction.
Tho, an easier method can be used, where the script catches the post before it's deleted and sends out a INSERT command containing all the information of the post that is about to be deleted to Database 2, this would also take a lot of time since we use IPS CMS, which is not written by anyone from this community, so the understanding of the code would be a bit hard, except if you worked on it in the past.

I tried my best to be polite here and explain it in the most simple way I can, if you don't understand it I will explain to you once more, just say the word.

The thing is what I want if to be able to delete the post, what I have offered is not 100% what  should be made, all I did was show that the problem that was said here can be solved and that it still exists within the ability to edit the posts.

If someone regrets posting he should have the ability to remove it by himself in a few seconds, it has no negatives, really just none other than some what ifs that can be made in almost any other suggestion topic.

Edited by CheapTactic

02-416x277.jpg

4 minutes ago, CheapTactic said:

The thing is what I want if to be able to delete the post, what I have offered is not 100% what  should be made, all I did was show that the problem that was said here can be solved and that it still exists within the ability to edit the posts.

If someone regrets posting he should have the ability to remove it by himself in a few seconds, it has no negatives, really just none other than some what ifs that can be made in almost any other suggestion topic.

You really think people would use the remove function only for that?

Giving the users the abbility to remove posts; they can remove ANY of their posts, made ANYWHERE on the site in ANY time.

If there was a one minute window that gave you a chance to remove your post after making it, that and ONLY that would be fine. (by me)

Let's try to wrap this up with an example.

You want the users to be able to delete their posts, so if they made a post by "accident" they can remove it.

That sound good, right?

Well, America has a gun law that allows all citizens to carry fire weapons, the Government says "you shouldn't kill people with the guns that we legally sell you!one!!oNeOne!!!one" but people still kill others with THOSE EXACT fire weapons bought from the Government.

That doesn't sound good, right?

So, let's imagine this:

The US of America, prints a new law that allows citizens to "delete" their Police and Medical records, but only if the records were "added by mistake".

So, the Government has given the people an ability to do something, BUT, they didn't restrict its' use.

Meaning, that every citizen would be able to delete EVERYTHING that is on their record, prior to the "mistake".

So, a mass murderer could just "delete" all his records and be a free, innocent man.

Do you see what I'm aiming at here?

You can't give the "delete post on every post" option to the users because it WOULD BE ABUSED.

If you screwed up and made a post by mistake - report it or contact a mod.

So, if you are making a new function, it should have rules and guidelines. 

You can't just remove anything you want, you can only remove things that are determined safe for deletion by the board administrator.

The only thing that I can see working is when user makes a post = give them 120 seconds to delete it, after 120 seconds, the remove post button is gone and it can only be edited.

Quotes:

IP.Board has options for a member to be able to Hard Delete and soft delete their own topics & posts as long as being able to lock their own topics.

Source: Cozza from IPS

ACP -> Members tab -> Manage Member Groups -> click the name of the Group you want to edit -> "Forum" sub-tab -> Deleting section -> Can delete own topics?

Source: Mark H from IPS

The function would be you can delete your own post if it is the last post of a topic only. This is to protect the integrity of the discussion so you can't go in and remove posts that were replied to, but allows you to delete the last (unreplied to) post in case you made an error. It would not be considered disrupting the integrity since it had not been replied to.

I believe phpbb has (had) this.

Source: chilihead on IPS forums

vf05UJb.jpg

2 hours ago, Azura said:

You really think people would use the remove function only for that?

Giving the users the abbility to remove posts; they can remove ANY of their posts, made ANYWHERE on the site in ANY time.

If there was a one minute window that gave you a chance to remove your post after making it, that and ONLY that would be fine. (by me)

Let's try to wrap this up with an example.

You want the users to be able to delete their posts, so if they made a post by "accident" they can remove it.

That sound good, right?

Well, America has a gun law that allows all citizens to carry fire weapons, the Government says "you shouldn't kill people with the guns that we legally sell you!one!!oNeOne!!!one" but people still kill others with THOSE EXACT fire weapons bought from the Government.

That doesn't sound good, right?

So, let's imagine this:

The US of America, prints a new law that allows citizens to "delete" their Police and Medical records, but only if the records were "added by mistake".

So, the Government has given the people an ability to do something, BUT, they didn't restrict its' use.

Meaning, that every citizen would be able to delete EVERYTHING that is on their record, prior to the "mistake".

So, a mass murderer could just "delete" all his records and be a free, innocent man.

Do you see what I'm aiming at here?

You can't give the "delete post on every post" option to the users because it WOULD BE ABUSED.

If you screwed up and made a post by mistake - report it or contact a mod.

So, if you are making a new function, it should have rules and guidelines. 

You can't just remove anything you want, you can only remove things that are determined safe for deletion by the board administrator.

The only thing that I can see working is when user makes a post = give them 120 seconds to delete it, after 120 seconds, the remove post button is gone and it can only be edited.

Quotes:

IP.Board has options for a member to be able to Hard Delete and soft delete their own topics & posts as long as being able to lock their own topics.

Source: Cozza from IPS

ACP -> Members tab -> Manage Member Groups -> click the name of the Group you want to edit -> "Forum" sub-tab -> Deleting section -> Can delete own topics?

Source: Mark H from IPS

The function would be you can delete your own post if it is the last post of a topic only. This is to protect the integrity of the discussion so you can't go in and remove posts that were replied to, but allows you to delete the last (unreplied to) post in case you made an error. It would not be considered disrupting the integrity since it had not been replied to.

Source: chilihead on IPS forums

How the actual hell you go to Police laws and medical records in a suggestion to delete  posts that matter none anywhere including barely on the forums?

Also, what you have mentioned, should I even address?The government also allows sales of knives(which can be lethal more than a gun in some cases) yet prohibits from using them for murderous/criminal reasons.

The same also with allowing to buy computers yet not to use them for illegal reasons.

Guns are meant for self defense, also better at the job than a knife, and again probably needless to say that that situation is way off different than what we are talking about.

If already we should do the same, allow deleting replies and punish those who will somehow abuse the function.

Are you really comparing Medical and Criminal records to replies on a forum?So what if someone deletes all of his posts?So be it, who cares?It will make him have 0 posts and by so should be also demoted since he doesn't apply to the admin requirements anymore.

Sure you know what?Restrict the amount of times you can remove your comment, 2 times in a week, meaning you can for example delete one post on Sunday and another on Friday, but no more and you'll have to wait until the next week to get refilled.

And what is the point of abusing the delete function that would be available anyways?It gives nothing to delete all of your posts or 'abuse' it, and if there is any case of abuse, the abuser will be punished.

PS:Also about why not ask Denros about this, is because his vote isn't valued more than any other vote of any other member.

Edited by CheapTactic

02-416x277.jpg

32 minutes ago, CheapTactic said:

How the actual hell you go to Police laws and medical records in a suggestion to delete  posts that matter none anywhere including barely on the forums?

Also, what you have mentioned, should I even address?The government also allows sales of knives(which can be lethal more than a gun in some cases) yet prohibits from using them for murderous/criminal reasons.

The same also with allowing to buy computers yet not to use them for illegal reasons.

Guns are meant for self defense, also better at the job than a knife, and again probably needless to say that that situation is way off different than what we are talking about.

If already we should do the same, allow deleting replies and punish those who will somehow abuse the function.

Are you really comparing Medical and Criminal records to replies on a forum?So what if someone deletes all of his posts?So be it, who cares?It will make him have 0 posts and by so should be also demoted since he doesn't apply to the admin requirements anymore.

Sure you know what?Restrict the amount of times you can remove your comment, 2 times in a week, meaning you can for example delete one post on Sunday and another on Friday, but no more and you'll have to wait until the next week to get refilled.

And what is the point of abusing the delete function that would be available anyways?It gives nothing to delete all of your posts or 'abuse' it, and if there is any case of abuse, the abuser will be punished.

PS:Also about why not ask Denros about this, is because his vote isn't valued more than any other vote of any other member.

I was making an example, which can be understood.

Yes, I'm comparing it, because all records contain almost the same info, don't they?

In the police there's a file with your name on it and everything about it, in a database (example: My Profile stats page) your info is stored the same way like it is anywhere else.

Your name will be on it (the "username", not your real name, except if you fill all that out on your profile), everything about you will be on that stats page, including your profile picture.

It's the same for any type of record that holds information about a person, so yeah, I can use that as an example.

No, don't restrict it to 2 times a week, I didn't even say that. Don't twist my words.

If you've actually read what I wrote, you would've seen that I posted some quotes, the last one pretty much explains the best solution for this situation.

Did you read that? I don't think so.

It clearly says that users should be given an option to delete their post IF it's the last post in the thread, so if he made that post by accident, he can delete it witout a hassle.

This option can be used as well as the 120 seconds option, it comes down to the same thing.

If you really want to keep a discussion going, please start reading what I'm writing.

Hmm, maybe, because he's the one who can code something like this, in case you didn't know that.

I wasn't calling him out to abuse his admin powers to decide the output of this thread, I tagged him and want his opinion on this because I know coding something like this would take some time.

Actually, I doubt he has time for this right now, so informing him about something like this might go into consideration to be added.

Don't jump into conclusions. 

vf05UJb.jpg

22 hours ago, Azura said:

I was making an example, which can be understood.

Yes, I'm comparing it, because all records contain almost the same info, don't they?

In the police there's a file with your name on it and everything about it, in a database (example: My Profile stats page) your info is stored the same way like it is anywhere else.

Your name will be on it (the "username", not your real name, except if you fill all that out on your profile), everything about you will be on that stats page, including your profile picture.

It's the same for any type of record that holds information about a person, so yeah, I can use that as an example.

No, don't restrict it to 2 times a week, I didn't even say that. Don't twist my words.

If you've actually read what I wrote, you would've seen that I posted some quotes, the last one pretty much explains the best solution for this situation.

Did you read that? I don't think so.

It clearly says that users should be given an option to delete their post IF it's the last post in the thread, so if he made that post by accident, he can delete it witout a hassle.

This option can be used as well as the 120 seconds option, it comes down to the same thing.

If you really want to keep a discussion going, please start reading what I'm writing.

Hmm, maybe, because he's the one who can code something like this, in case you didn't know that.

I wasn't calling him out to abuse his admin powers to decide the output of this thread, I tagged him and want his opinion on this because I know coding something like this would take some time.

Actually, I doubt he has time for this right now, so informing him about something like this might go into consideration to be added.

Don't jump into conclusions. 

Did you even read what I have said?It is not comparable between a place that matters in real life to a forum who barely anyone knows in the world, so what if someone deletes their entire info/replies?If he does that then he should be demoted to a member.(And maybe even banned to not be able to post for a certain amount of time).

(Do you still even speak about the replies?If already deleting your own account should be a possibility too).

I made a suggestion to restrict it to twice a week as a solution to the "abuse" problem you said that can happen, don't twist what I say and say I said that you said/meant that.

I don't care what you have posted because its not the mechanic I want to be implemented, all posts should be possible to delete, the only thing I can agree is about the time restriction(not 120 seconds though), like I said, if someone abuses it, he should be punished.

Then you should have specified why you want to ask Denros about this.

Edited by CheapTactic

02-416x277.jpg