Joshy

Account Status

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Grammar + A numerical typo

I was going to reply to an earlier thread, but maybe a suggestion would be best in the suggestions forum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would imagine many are already rolling their eyes at the subject and are quietly thinking again "What the hell, Joshy?!"  I completely agree with most others: There is no real need to delete an account, but I think these requests have given rise to a technical opportunity and I've noticed several social media websites allow people to "disable" their accounts or use an extra parameter/status shown on their profile such as "Inactive."  Here's an example:

uilSQWI.png

Is it necessary?  I'm not suggesting that, but I think it wouldn't be difficult to have available; it would also combat these threads and make people feel like the option is available (although the outcome is effectively the same as not having it), and it helps GFL stay competitive by offering at least comparable features.  You can clearly see I've marked myself inactive on the exampled community, but the near 5,000 posts truthfully suggests continued activity.

I may follow up with an "Account Disable" feature although I think this one is more complicated and might require more technical skills.  I prefer suggesting simple and elegant ideas, but I am willing to continue some dialogue with that if the status idea is not satisfactory enough or I've inspired some curiosity.

Cheers.

Edited by Joshy
Grammar + A numerical typo

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

24 minutes ago, Joshy said:

I was going to reply to an earlier thread, but maybe a suggestion would be best in the suggestion forum ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I would imagine many are already rolling their eyes at the subject and are quietly thinking again "What the hell, Joshy?!"  I completely agree with most others: There is no real need to delete an account, but I think this requests have given rise a technical opportunity and I've noticed several social media websites allow people to "disable" their accounts or use an extra parameter/status shown on their profile such as "Inactive."  Here's an example:

uilSQWI.png

Is it necessary?  I'm not suggesting that, but I think it wouldn't be difficult to have available; it would also combat these threads and make people feel like the option is available (although the outcome is effectively the same as not having it), and it helps GFL stay competitive by offering at least comparable features.  You can clearly see I've marked myself inactive on the exampled community, but the near 6,000 posts truthfully suggests continued activity.

Reveal hidden contents

I may follow up with an "Account Disable" feature although I think this one is more complicated and might require more technical skills.  I prefer suggesting simple and elegant ideas, but I am willing to continue some dialogue with that if the status idea is not satisfactory enough or I've inspired some curiosity.

Cheers.

Not gonna lie, I've ran into this issue before @Joshy and my views have some what changed on this topic, but sadly that is due to some other communities and what I would are say stupid rules, which make it so you can not be a member anywhere else and they will kick you out. now picture you are someone who has a bunch of friends and stuff in another community contacts what ever and you like these people now picture you being pretty much thrown as an outcast that is the issue which has changed my pov on things and yes sadly that is the case for many.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Bae

I don't want a smart ass response from a specific person so I'm just going to say this as best as I can.

I feel that it's best to let them at least disable their account, not actually deleting it. If they wish to activate it again, they can do so on their own. I don't know the actual reason why people do this but I can name many things that could lead to a why:

• Notifications
    • Now before you start being a smartass and read. Despite disabling your notifications from emailing you or sending it to you on forums, it'll still send you an email, more so there's no option to actually disabled it entirely. 
    • It still sends me things when i disabled email notifications and it's pretty annoying considering there's something that you cannot disable it at all. You can only disable it for forum.
  • Virus
    • Depending on what kind of protection you use, this website can be detected as a Virus, especially if you're visiting it from a school's computer. 
  • Parents/Guardians
    • A parent or guardian may have asked them to get their account removed.
    • I mean in this scenario, I understand ya'll point of view on "It's their responsibility to even register an account" but the internet still has laws to go by when creating a website.

That's all I could think of but the last part is mostly like just imagination and bullshit but I know for sure virus one is a definite. I visited gfl on my brother's computer one time and it downloaded something from the website and send an error/threat thingy. So I mean, that's my opinion. Don't be an ass and argue over my small pity opinion that I may be completely wrong.

Edited by Bae

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

31 minutes ago, Tahytn said:

TLDR, however i do support the idea of deleting an account or at least disabling it. However more better or what social media sites do is, you can delete your account however if you do not re-log in within 30 Days your account gets completely deleted. 

Disable is much better than deleting in my opinion. It makes more sense. I have never been to a forums that just deletes your account for not being active. It only ever disable it unless they do an account wipe. 

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

24 minutes ago, rapperdan said:

tbh getting rid of member and assigning people to a player account will solve the issue I'm concerned about.

I know they used to do that for donator especially for perm vip. There was a rule on it that says if you broke a rule or something, your donator status will be removed without refunds. But I don't think they ever actually did that despite it being on there. 

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
8 minutes ago, Bae said:

I know they used to do that for donator especially for perm vip. There was a rule on it that says if you broke a rule or something, your donator status will be removed without refunds. But I don't think they ever actually did that despite it being on there. 

The issue I'm concerned about has nothing to do with breaking any kind of rules. it just involved being able to talk with old friends in communities that outcast people who are a member else where. the simple fix involves giving members an api button to pretty much take away there member. and assign them a player rank instead of a member rank. also this would be a huge lift on the shoulders of any member acceptor who gets contacted by someone who does not want to be a member anymore.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

I do think that having a "Disable account" option would be something that could be implemented. Maybe by just adding a Primary group of Inactive/Deactivated/Disabled, which has all notifications off.

The option should be here

c662755c5dc00bba1395d95b12dff057.png

When you click the option a prompt should appear like this

e9dcf1174fd3446434758a0258e61942.png 

Then when they sign back in they get a prompt come up like this

9cbafed4e5f4a6f3c0efc3ad50ef2cd4.png 

3 minutes ago, rapperdan said:

The issue I'm concerned about has nothing to do with breaking any kind of rules. it just involved being able to talk with old friends in communities that outcast people who are a member else where. the simple fix involves giving members an api button to pretty much take away there member. and assign them a player rank instead of a member rank.

If someone wants to have their member status removed they can just PM a CA and we will have no issues removing it.

Achievements

If it's too ambitious to have a disable account option, then I would imagine Account Status would be an easy alternative.  I don't want my suggestion to be turned away due to a more ambitious follow-up suggestion not working out, which is why I left that in the spoilers.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

17 minutes ago, Joshy said:

If it's too ambitious to have a disable account option, then I would imagine Account Status would be an easy alternative.  I don't want my suggestion to be turned away due to a more ambitious follow-up suggestion not working out, which is why I left that in the spoilers.

That is very true. Least amount of effort for what could be called the same results. 

I think your initial idea is what we should implement as that would be incredibly easy to add. A disable account option may take longer and wouldn't be what some would call a priority.

Achievements