Joshy

Your thoughts on leadership from external

Your thoughts on leadership from external  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Are you okay with staff members coming from outside of GFL?

• I really don't care.
    • Yes - It's okay someone takes on a leadership role here even though they didn't grow within GFL
    • No - Only people within GFL already can become staff

We've been chatting about it in the Shout box and it sounds like some people want to let their ideas off their shoulders, and so I think it's worth a thread.  What do you guys think about staff coming from external?  External is meaning other communities or organizations ie. a Server Admin with some programming experience at another community takes on a Server Manager role here.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I don't care honestly. It's their choice. And if the manager want to make it where they don't want outsider in here that's on them. If this does become a thing, I am out. Personally I wouldn't want gfl to be like this type of community. The ones that restrict outsider are complete... Hm... I don't know how to nicely say it... It's not the first that someone from another community comes here and apply for manager despite being admin or manager for another community whether allied or enemies of.

I hope you get what I'm saying.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by JoelSmith

If they're trusted by the higher ups to do a job and work on a server I think it's a good idea to get fresh new faces. Either way decision aren't decided by us they're decided by the higher ups for the better of the community. Some people may think oh, they haven't  worked for the power but if they know what they're doing and have shown the potential to a higher up I believe that's a valid reason for a position in the community. We should welcome new people into the community with open arms.

Thanks ~Joel 

Edited by JoelSmith

76561198130815225.png

8EFBB426-F3D7-4A6C-B409-7372CCCD11F5-1640-000003D5E8AD4561.png

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

so when have we not been doing this?

almost all of our ways of putting out servers tends to be us consuming other groups when did we ever stop doing this? example balon setup so many others...

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

I'm fine with them helping out, but if say Roy just brought in a new CA from out of nowhere (not that he would do that) I'd be pretty pissed. There's are certain people within GFL who could and are qualified to be ca and should have these roles, becuase they earned them.

STEAM 

76561198079961574.pngAddFriend.png

Just now, Joshy said:

Who said anything about whether or not GFL is doing it?  The question is on how you feel about the concept.

ok ya sorry misunderstood I'm just viewing comments by others like we have not been doing this crap for years.

Achievements

I agree that it really depends on how the new person will fit in with the community. If they do a good job, I couldn't care less who it is or where they came from.

If they're taking a spot away from someone who deserves it though, that's another story.

Aspiring OWL Player

Official Fat Cunt of GFL

• Former GFL Council Member
  • Former Deathrun Server Manager
  • Former Murder Server Manager (2x)
  • Former Forum/Discord/TS Moderator
  • Former Member Acceptor
  • Former Prop Hunt Admin
  • Former Breach Admin
  • Former Ragdoll Combat Admin
  • Former Hide and Seek Admin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

76561198080414294.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ad0d7752f3af933e823242707f002882.png

7ca15ba2adfc1cca1bbdd1b0e2899323.png

8a1fc7db81c9f9c55efeb06616369387.png

a23834bee8bd262ab85ddc004d8a52d4.png

37c2106e984c072a98986b80abc62302.png

ac8e16c80959c1400d7f78eb08d82b9a.png

d987b48e16877f03d3f4bd471f7a167d.png

7c3ddae8149571527b4fd382077c386b.png

addedjittogroupgay.png.b9cd0e35765a9eb4289086eb110830ed.png

crusty.PNG.ff0ad7f19b0b472ee3cf36cffd1138a4.PNG

eatcakeandcry.PNG.c3e7a72409b2c1a1bca7a659d6b0d5c5.PNG

fuckijustnutted.png.288a102240b0b61679c2a06089a8b4fb.png

quesadillaorriot.PNG.694be1708aeccc1771da16873fb0705b.PNG

Posted  Edited by rapperdan
53 minutes ago, Runda said:

@Joshy Are you saying something like what happened with CSS Surf RPG? I am against that. I think if people wanna be doing staff and running stuff, they should be dedicated to GFL

ya banned lol @dubstep_kicks also I don't think you guys are aware a CA rank or a BoD member rank will never be filled by someone from the outside of GFL. also I just thought I would bring this up, I get better responses with technical stuff from outside of GFL while dealing with people and how we deal with people will always be internal at it's root.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: added response to Dan + emphasis
1 hour ago, Runda said:

@Joshy Are you saying something like what happened with CSS Surf RPG? I am against that. I think if people wanna be doing staff and running stuff, they should be dedicated to GFL

You're right: Someone from the external sabotaged one of the CS:S servers.  I'm not meaning to suggest my own preference or ideas about external leadership, but I am also recalling an event or two where long time leaders, trusted members, and people who grew with GFL who sabotaged our CS:S servers.  Is there always an element of trust or risk involved, and does choosing from within or externally dominate given our past events?  I'm not so sure.

Again: This isn't to suggest my own point of view, but I'm adding to the dialogue.  I think there are some interesting thoughts posted above.

edit:

1 hour ago, rapperdan said:

ya banned lol @dubstep_kicks also I don't think you guys are aware a CA rank or a BoD member rank will never be filled by someone from the outside of GFL. also I just thought I would bring this up, I get better responses with technical stuff from outside of GFL while dealing with people and how we deal with people will always be internal at it's root.

When was that established?  I don't recall seeing this.  Is it just inferred?  You are correct so far as what  has been done for those specific positions, but is it impossible or not considered in future decisions or choices?  I've seen a lot of comments about the lack of talent, and so I wonder if there will be a point where the candidate pool may need to broaden.

Edited by Joshy
added response to Dan + emphasis

Posted  Edited by Syntax

I didn't notice this post was about the conversation you and I had in the Chatbox until now, I'm retarded sorry.

Anyways, most of the votes are I don't care and No mostly, the idea isn't only about upper-management, the main idea for me was about Server Admins, we talked about it, basically @Joshy's main POV (which I respect) was that promoting an individual to the Admin position if he's experienced although he's currently admin on another server or even a GFL one isn't a problem, and my main POV was that a dedicated and active person can do the job far better than any extremely experienced mature one, the main idea behind this is that while an Admin is preferably better if he has previous admin experience, if he's not going to play that much then it doesn't matter, he's useless, and that I consider my offense, as defense, any experienced admin had a start, and if you check most of their history, they gained most of their experience from their very first/early servers, and these are the server they gave back to the most. As for Joshy, he claims that a non-experienced admin is not a good idea, while I do understand his POV, I still believe that everyone has to be given a shot, but we need to consider other factors, you need to understand that the most important factors for an admin are:

1. Activity: An individual that has the potential of becoming an admin needs to have this, it's the most necessary out of all 3 in my opinion, you can have an experienced admin, but he won't be active, because he's admin on another server/isn't as interested as someone who wants to experience the cons and pros of being an admin for the first time.
  2. Maturity: This is necessary, extremely necessary, without it an active admin is worth nothing, because he has the potential to abuse, if a person that has NEVER been admin in his life has this characteristic, then he's more than just fit to be in the admin team.
  3. Experience: Most managers insist on experience, some consider it the main factor that makes up a good admin, no it doesn't, you can be experienced but if you don't have the dedication or you don't have the time for it, then you shouldn't be admin, literally, if you're just here to apply, leave, and use us as Previous admin experience in your future application, then in my opinion you should never be admin, not here, nowhere.

Obviously, an admin with all of the above is a Perfect Admin, it's very rare to find these types of individuals, because they're probably already taken/occupied, or are even managers of their own servers, if you ever do get someone like this, that you know is ready to administrate the server like if it's his, then don't hesitate to pick him.

Anyways, these are just the ideas I posted in the Chatbox a few days ago, summed up in a post.

Thanks,

Syntax.

Edited by Syntax

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I highly encourage not speaking on my behalf.  I didn't post my point of view here for one, and two, I feel strongly misunderstood.  Thanks for posting your ideas, though ;) 

Edited by Joshy

Posted  Edited by Syntax
9 minutes ago, Joshy said:

I highly encourage not speaking on my behalf.  I didn't post my point of view here for one, and two, I feel strongly misunderstood.  Thanks for posting your ideas, though ;) 

I'm not here to argue but, that's exactly what we were talking about, and that's exactly what you said, else I wouldn't even bother commenting on this, just refresh your memory I'm pretty sure you'll remember, it was around 8 lines in Chatbox in form 1-2-2-1-2, just recall. I wouldn't mention your speech if I didn't remember it, because I know I would create an argument, and I wouldn't tag you either.

Edited by Syntax

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Changed "fulfill" to "fill"

Your interpretation of my point of view is flawed.  Just for a brief example: 

2 hours ago, Syntax said:

As for Joshy, he claims that a non-experienced admin is not a good idea, while I do understand his POV, I still believe that everyone has to be given a shot, but we need to consider other factors, you need to understand that the most important factors for an admin are:

I am firmly against this.  I strongly encourage a cycle of leadership and constantly say, that we shouldn't be waiting for the most ideal or perfect candidate.  Potential is a far more valuable measure for me, and so: Someone who may not be perfect for the role right now, but could be in the future, is likely a fitting candidate in my point of view.  This perspective on candidacy includes inexperienced members.  I often aim to have them on the teams long before others consider it, and to prophylactic-ly fill needs before they arise.  I am often running against the wind on those topics and I know I often have a very unique or radical perspective.  I'd share with you these posts, but I am certain most of them are stashed away in outdated threads on forum categories I no longer have permissions for.

Next, I would like to re-emphasize that I did not post my point of view here.  Thanks.

Edited by Joshy
Changed "fulfill" to "fill"

@Joshy I do understand that you did not post your POV here, that's why I decided to post yours when I posted mine, I just didn't want to feel like I'm saying unnecessary off-topic stuff, so I needed a reason to post my POV, anyways, I understand what you meant with "I feel misunderstood", but I still have to say that one mistake I made doesn't mean that I got your whole POV wrong/lied about it. I really don't want this to continue lol so if you want to continue this discussion it would be better in a PM, although I personally prefer things like these to be talked about in Chatbox so everyone can see what's going on and say what they have to say about it too.

Anyways, I understand what you mean now,

Thanks.

Achievements

• 2 weeks later...

Are you saying remove to Runda and give us some random guy who has nothing to do with the server? That's strange and unusual. Is it true that this was already done? Some random guy replaces Runda? Maybe not random to you but it seems that way to someone who doesn't know this random person... who isn't familiar from playing on the server. Please don't demote Runda, yet, who is the replacement? Initiative presence or is this guy lacking initiative? You will inherit the role but not yet then will he do what he needs to do first, being to familiarize himself with the community so that people even know who he is? I read about sabotage but um Runda still plays on the server I think even if he isn't the server's leader... Is the new leader lazy or can he introduce himself first? Coming in, resetting stats and stuff... sure, but umm... it's really quite a hassle and doesn't seem like the popular thing to do. We should know this guy first. Some random guy meets my daughter with a wedding ring and she doesn't know who this man is? That's like with the server... my daughter is the players of the server and this dude wants to marry us but ummm... we do not know him and he does not know us, it is flattering but don't try to marry us just because we look beautiful, it's the inner beauty that counts, yes? I don't think he lacks anything necessarily but how would I know, this is some seemingly random dude, how could we know if he is qualified? Will he change stuff? Was there a problem with Runda? 

8 minutes ago, Chrono said:

Are you saying remove to Runda and give us some random guy who has nothing to do with the server?

Is it true that this was already done? Some random guy replaces Runda?

Please don't demote Runda, yet, who is the replacement?

9 minutes ago, Chrono said:

Was there a problem with Runda? 

GFL doesn't revolve around Runda, nor does it revolve around our CS:S Surf RPG server. In any case, you can rest assured that no one from outside of GFL is going to replace Runda.