Joshy

Member Acceptors and Server Admins

I believe Server Admins and above, and even Operation roles (Creative Team, Developer), should automatically be able to Accept Members.  If this idea is too radical, then I suggest at least dipping your toe in the water with higher positions such as Head/Senior Admins, and to work our way into this suggestion should it show promise.   I think applications for Member Acceptor and the review process is silly.

I am very confused about the high standards we have for Member Acceptors, and what the consequence of too many Member Acceptors are.  How can we possibly trust someone with Server Admin rights, but they can't even accept and welcome people into the community as Members.  Members typically receive small perks on the game servers and the Server Admins are already facilitating their activity there, and so I think it should be okay for Server Admins to determine whether or not someone could receive those small perks.  More damage can be done with their permissions on the servers compared to being Member Acceptors, and so - to me - it's like allowing someone to carry a loaded machine gun and not allowing them to use a butter knife at the table.

Our standards for accepting Members are pretty low and I don't think it will be making a U-turn any time soon.  This is okay by me because they don't receive huge benefits for being a Member anyways.  I think it's correct to prevent hackers from receiving these benefits and representing our community, and people with too many bans, but lets stipulate this worst case scenario such that a large team of Server Admins begins to make mistakes in accepting these people:  So what?  These people will likely get caught and banned, and they wont be representing the community neither receiving their perks anymore should that be the case.  I cannot think of one case where accepting some losers as members has been a noticeable burden to the community, and these people can create chaos in game and the forums without member perks.  We have accepted members and even Server Admins who hacked or was eventually banned, and so the filtering system doesn't work well anyways.

I think allowing Server Admins to really welcome Members into the community can help build a strong relationship with the players and the voluntary role could improve their activity on the forums should people ask to accept them into the community (ie. "[PLAYER:] How do I get Member perks?" "[ADMIN:] Let me hook you up!")  This looks beneficial to me.  The amount of work put into this prevention doesn't look worth it to me, but the (low) amount of risk is should GFL pursue this suggestion.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

I've seen alot of admins who are not friendly and or welcoming to new users at the same time I've seen some pretty stupid people have admin or even senior admin and I could see so many mistakes being made that are so basic and I could see us really even denying member apps from some admins who simply dislike said user I don't view this as a good idea at all. also member apps atm get answered pretty quickly and I truely don't understand why we are even accepting more people there truely is no point and people trying to provide help will simply not even get a chance.

there is so many other areas in which we can improve in and I don't see it possible to improve in this area.

just thought I would bring this up since someone recently said something in shoutbox about saying how admins should be trusted with this task. do admins go on another servers and are they admin across all of GFL?

also the demand for admins is higher then the demand for member acceptors leading to more of a risk with cons and pros since getting an admin for a server is in higher demand and can pay out in ways so much higher then people getting member acceptor it's more about the need for people then anything we simply don't need people while servers have a higher need.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

I remember denros saying no to this for reasons similar to what dan stated, so idk if this will ever happen.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

Posted  Edited by Bonk

I think this would be a bad decision due to how many admins there are it would become a mess. Also I would not want my admins to do this.

Edited by Bonk

Former: CSGO DL

Former: CSGO TTT Manager

Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: added note

We're worried about people accepting or denying members, but not very concerned about them having mute or ban on a server? This is a very interesting group.

edit:

I'd also like to say that I'm not worried about how quickly or slowly we're going through member applications.  I made this suggestion because I think we're putting a lot of time into vetting Member Acceptor applications when Server Admins and above are trusted with more risky/damaging permissions.  I think even with the concern of a large Server Admin team, then this idea could be trialed with smaller groups like Senior Admins or Server Managers (for goodness sake they have Root on their respective servers) while continuing the case by case applications for other groups.

Edited by Joshy
added note

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Nope Nope Nope. It has always been an application role, well before it wasn't much except you had to be deserve of the role. Although it's easy now, but who knows, maybe it'll switch back to the complicated version. The complicated versions is completely different from what we're doing now, and it had tons of access that a normal admin/operator shouldn't even have.

Before, it was a senior admin/global admin/manager only that can become a member acceptor. Unless, specifically chosen or dating a higher up to get it  :lenny: Well except at that time, there was only 10~ senior admins, and they were senior because they been in the community for a long time or respective admins.

I'll tell you the history or story of why it's complicated. Only a few of us knew of the access.

The access we had was:

• Full control panel of forums of user groups, members, even access to their email address that they've used to register an account with.
  • We also had access to somewhat like the backend of a sourceban. So that's where we set up their account whether they're member or not.
  • And then we manually put them to accepted or denied.

That was how it was back then, yes it's much easier now but... if you're going to say it like that it's an easy role why can't anyone be it. If we're going to do that, it might as well just be only CA+ instead, the amount of admins easily getting the role, and if you haven't noticed whom applied for the role, think that we're not doing our job because they don't answer the question we asked of them. So in turns into a deny and in which, most of them think that member acceptor role is an admin role where you can have fun with it to be powerful. But it is isn't at all. It's lower rank than a operator role better yet, its not even the highest role anymore. 

tldr;

I say no. If we're going to do that, might as well make ts3/discord not an applied role, just get it because you're admin is all I read from this.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements