Joshy

Does pay matter?

Which do you care more about in a job?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you care more about in a job?

• Pay
    • Comfort/Culture

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Do you prefer pay or culture/comfort?

Both companies pay enough.  Both are in a field of interest.  You don't need to read below if you don't want a lengthy back story.

edit:

I made a big mistake and it has been agonizing me.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Is it wise to make assumptions of the company's internal culture simply from the interview process alone? I know that first impressions are important, but still...

If he still has time, he could ask for a tour of the work areas (if these particular companies allow for it; I know that some do for applicants they're willing to accept) to get a better feel for the internal culture. I realise that this is probably unlikely since he only has a couple of days left.

If I were in this situation, I think I would choose the second company. Even if he wants to move away from that company later, the higher pay that they are offering gives him a larger safety net to fall back on. There is something to be said for the comfort that financial security can bring you.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

I'd go to the second company. The pay is better and they are, like you said "all over the world" maybe they weren't as welcoming as the first job but that could mean various things. It could mean they have a sufficient number of people and don't really need me and the first job could have been very welcoming because they were in dire need of someone in his forte, this could lead to him being depended on everything and then the first job doesn't have the "comfort" anymore. On the negative side it could just be the second company actually doesn't care and the first is genuinely nice but even then the second company is in your words "very broad and would make him work on many projects of interest". Also maybe they don't seem nice for now maybe when he does start working he'll get to meet some great people and friends. In the end all of these are maybes but it's all risks on both in the end if both do end up being bad jobs as a whole he always can rest easy on the second job because it has more pay. Maybe he'd regret not going to the first but then again maybe he'd regret not going to the second job if he does take the first.

Achievements

Both of these matter. But there is some jobs that to some people, the pay will matter more then the culture/confort.

Per exemple, if you are working at Walmart which I would most likely think that its a horrible job. What do you think would matter most? My guess is that you are going to say the pay.

If you have a job that you wanted so much and its your dream job, I would most likely think the pay isn`t all that better then the culture/comfort.

It depends if the person likes the job so I wouldn`t be able to answer to that.

This is indeed tough and it depends on the nature of one's field or job. Personally if the question were applied to me I'd vote for believe it or not culture/comfort. I'll get to that in a moment. For your friend, I'd say accept the second job (more pay) not because of money but mainly because it is more broad. This is the deciding factor. Who knows if they're willing to pay him more then chances are after a year so or he will have a good say in how things should be handled. Possibly introducing the culture/comfort the first company has. That is if he plays his cards right.

Now for something like medical which is what I'm in. I would trade off pay. Heres why. I don't want to lose my license to a small mistake. If your coworkers are assholes it will happen. It will ruin your for life. I've seen people taken down with idiots before and its not pretty. Not to mention odd 12 hour shifts are FUUUUNNN. Day and night. In this area, you really have to rely on your coworkers alot for the sake of your license and the patient. If you're a doctor maybe this will be less than severe but you'll still get a bad rep on record which is huge. I've seen some horrible things like IV drips disconnected and leaking all over the floor... Pay does kinda have a factor but I would rather have a full staff that puts patient first while checking up each others work in a professional manner. Theres also another thing to think about pay. If you become a doctor, will you even have time to enjoy that pay? I personally don't want to be an old fart living the good life. How can you even hope to drink at that age. Same thing with sailing. You'd need a crew to look after you. I at most want to do those things at middle age.

We all start out as idealists only to slowly but surely become realists one day, the likes of which we'd never imagine we would become. Meanwhile we stare back at new idealists and see a reflection of what we once were.

Facing reality to get through life.

:cockatiel: I drink birds alive and whole while petting them :cockatiel:

devolver_future_future_gif_by_digi_matri

Posted  Edited by John_Ariana_Man - Edit Reason: English not good
1 hour ago, Outbreak_Prime said:

I asked for a plain buttermilk chicken sandwich with no cheese at McDonald's, they messed that simple order up and didn't even give me my large drink... And they want 15 dollars an hour..

Lol, cheese on a buttermilk chicken? Our mcdonalds doesn't do that lol. But, my friend always gets a quarter cheese with no onions. They always put onions on it and it's stupid how they fuck it up because they get stickers for what it is and it says "No Onions"  

Edited by John_Ariana_Man
English not good

Server Manager of Squad.

be2e3ce9254c6a1d33fee472ec4323a3.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I'm going to stipulate the two are retail jobs and one is for $50,000 and the other one is for $60,000.  I'm hoping to keep this conceptual, which is why I'm stipulating an example.

Great responses so far!  I think it'll really help me come up with a good idea for my friend.  The second company flew him out to the area and he wouldn't be able to fly back in time before the offer expired.

I also worry about myself for if I'm lucky enough to choose a job in the future.  Some great things to consider!

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152