Pyros

(SPOILERS) Star Wars The Last Jedi

Posted  Edited by Darkling - Edit Reason: added extra space for spoiler

Do NOT read it if you haven't watched yet and don't wish to read any spoilers, you have been warned

The opening scene started out fairly weak, but in the end the bombing scene perfectly set up the rest of the movie in terms of the rebellion.

Overall, I loved it. Some scenes were absolutely mind-blowingly good, and others just made you go "what the fuck?" Technically, Leia could probably have been able to use the force to keep herself alive like that. However, there were so many better ways to do it instead of demon space Leia. Why didn't she use the force to hold together the atmosphere of the cockpit? Imagine that scene, with glass floating and everyone looking around like holy shit while she just stands there holding it all together. Isn't that her power? Unity? Although the Kylo, Luke, and Rey scenes were amazing. The hyperdrive scene was amazing.

Personally, I was okay with the Rose and Finn storyline, as it gave both of them some good character development. That being said, there shouldn't have been the kiss at the end. Wasn't necessary.

The Yoda scene was a bit sudden, but I think it worked in the end. Yoda returned to his tricksy and wise old self like he was in the original trilogy, thank god. I think his ghost just could have been introduced a bit more slowly instead of just springing him on Luke like that. I feel the ghost also should have been more like the original force ghosts, this one seemed to have too much shape and opacity.

The action scenes were awesome. No contest.

The acting from Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley went up by 10 notches since the Force Awakens. Poe also became a better known character which was good to see.

This movie was clearly a setup movie. What really happened here was character development in all of our main characters. ALL of the character development came from failure. EVERY character failed.

1. Rey failed first to bring Luke back, and then failed again when she tried to bring Ben to the light again.
  2. Kylo failed to complete the Sith cycle of killing the master and taking the Apprentice. Rey didn't let go of the old like he had hoped.
  3. Finn has realized that he's now going all in with the Resistance. At the beginning, he's deserting them, trying to save his friend. After Rose changes him across the course of their mission, and finally when Finn (hopefully) kills Phasma for good (Phasma clearly representing his past), he takes the last step away from the First Order.
  4. Poe realizes that he can't do everything on his own, simple as that. Although a lot of people were like "WHY DIDN'T THE BITCHY ADMIRAL JUST TELL POE THE PLAN," there are a few logical reasons for why she wouldn't tell him. For instance, she clearly didn't buy his tracking thing. Maybe she thought there was a spy? He also completely destroyed all of the defenses that the fleet had. She got thrown into the situation with no fighters at all. She assumed that Poe was a trigger-happy guy only when in reality he just wants what's best for the Resistance.

Overall, I liked the movie because every twist and turn was unpredictable. Luke is actually a crazy murderer?!?! Wait he's actually justified in that action. Finn and Rose are going to save the Resistance with Poe! Nope, the admiral is instead. Luke's gonna have a crazy battle with Kylo! Nope, he's just gonna shoot him. LUKE IS FUCKING GOD?!?!?! Nope he's actually a ghost.

Rey's parents.... are.....

Nobody. Dead in a ditch on Jakku. Somehow, I didn't expect it. But it's perfect.

Comparing The Last Jedi to The Force Awakens is tough. The Force Awakens had a more straightforward story with less unpredictable turns, but that also made it less confusing and an easier watch. The Last Jedi completely veered away from all cliche, but it made the story difficult to follow and lead to some dreadful scenes.

Overall, I give it an 8.5/10.

Edited by Darkling
added extra space for spoiler

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

Posted  Edited by Bugbuffer - Edit Reason: elaborate text

are you an actual movie critic or did you copy paste this

*EDIT: agree with all of it btw, kinda hated tho how often you got jebaited into thinking now they gonna this but wait theres a twist they gonna da that instead

Edited by Bugbuffer
elaborate text

Just now, Bugbuffer said:

are you an actual movie critic or did you copy paste this

both tbh, my opinions are almost the same, and I was waaaay to lazy to type an essay about the movie at 1:11AM

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

I loved the movie. Some surprising twists, such as Yoda appearing, and making Luke realizing that he needs to let his failure go.

I'm just going to leave this quote out because this guy on Reddit post made sense enough about the movie in Luke alone. 

Luke spent much of the early movie explaining to Rey that what she's heard about him is a legend, but it's not an accurate representation of him and the events surrounding him. People see him as a legend he can't possibly live up to. Meanwhile he know that the truth is legends don't tell the full story, and he thinks his story is his failure to Kylo and the Jedi.

After Yoda's visit (who tells him "We are what they grow beyond. That is the true burden of all masters."), Luke gets that he can't let his failure hold him back, and actually embraces his status as a legend. Luke can't actually survive being buried in heavy blaster fire, but by pulling this trick he makes everyone in the resistance believe he just did.

I think his death is also somewhat needed. The resistance kept running to him to save them. He's always the only/last hope, but he knows he's failed them once and can fail again. It's time for the new generation and the new resistance to fight their own battles. So he saves them one last time by doing something seemingly impossible and badass (a legend to be told to inspire the new generation) and "retires" like a jedi master, by fading out under the binary sunset (that's why they show the sky imo, to kinda close the loop of his legend starting under a binary sunset and ending under another). The cut to the force characters was to show their reaction that they felt him die.

This post whole, make sense enough, which is why I accepted the fact that they killed him off. (Even Mark, the actor who played Luke Skywalker, even though he disagreed with the script that he was given, thus trusting the writers for this movie).

Other than that, this sums up in a scene alone with Finn and Rose lol

1326c995144c32.png

76561198043643390.png

1 minute ago, Kubnair said:

Me and @Violator were kinda dissapointed with the movie we were expecting a lot more and something a lot different. 

Watch it again for the second time and you’ll understand. People who wanted to share a theory didn’t like how it come. I ignored the theories, I’ve watched only one trailer, and waited, and I loved it. 

I kinda thought Rey would go into dark side while Ren would go to light side. I’m going to have to see it again and see if it make sense. 

76561198043643390.png

4 minutes ago, Benroy said:

Watch it again for the second time and you’ll understand. People who wanted to share a theory didn’t like how it come. I ignored the theories, I’ve watched only one trailer, and waited, and I loved it. 

I kinda thought Rey would go into dark side while Ren would go to light side. I’m going to have to see it again and see if it make sense. 

I thought some of the parts like the leia going into space and using the force part were dumb and over the top

Achievements

I just saw the movie yesterday, and so I hope I am not too late posting my opinions here.  I'd say it was overall good; I enjoyed it.

More people seem to really like that scene with Luke towards the end and calling Kylo "kiddo" after tricking him, but my favourite was when Kylo kills Snoke.  My jaw was totally dropped as they fought off the red guards.  I was suspecting he wanted to move up the chain and take Rey with him, but I the scene still got my heart pumping.  I thought the looting guy was awesome and funny.  I loved how you really couldn't get a grasp of his role, and I like that kind of twist.  I think it was hinted when they were looking who owned the ship and how the weapons were sold to "bad guys"... and "good guys."  Maybe we'll see him in future movies unless he died and I didn't notice?

Yes: That Leia scene was...  donkey...  Both in space, and I don't like when she shot Poe.  Maybe he couldn't be told the plan earlier (I don't know why but I'll stipulate that), but why did she have to shoot/stun him when he let his guard down for her?

I really like Rey's parents being nobody special.  Main characters always come off something special or have some kind of special background, and that bores me.

I like Kylo's story too.  Waking up to find Luke contemplating murder...  I'd probably give the dark side a shot too.  I think this would have really topped it off if Luke also killed all the children too (for the greater good), which would give Kylo even more reason to turn.  I think the "worst" of the "bad guys" legitimately feel like they are doing the right thing or are on the better side... not just doing something to be bad or to have more power although they are consumed by it eventually...  and I think this would make Kylo a more powerful character and interesting character.  I was still satisfied with the movie because it showed the ethical struggle good guys have too.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

The boi Admiral Akbar had the lamest death ive ever seen. They could have done so much emotional buildup with the characters death, like crashing the first order thingy instead of that stupid purple hair lady

D I S A P P O I N T I N G

For the most part, I loved it. For the most part... I just didn't really like the whole Fin and Rose subplot. And especially the awkward kiss from Rose at the end, and that shit about about saving what we love just made me facepalm. Otherwise, the movie was absolutely amazing. 

sign.png.a8db96f0c06c01a50197ab874bea2985.png

- Former HNS Manager

- Former CWRP admin

88.104.png

gary_no.PNG