Roy

[3-18-18] OVH Expansion Update In North America

Hidden

I'm curious if the GAME-3 is the most economical option, I was under the impression that srcds was CPU limited at higher player counts, I would think with 32 GB of RAM you would max the CPU before you ran out of RAM. Also worth noting that GAME-1 and GAME-2 are 30% off for as long as you keep the server if you order them now, the normal prices for them are $49.99 and $59.99 respectively.

Dreae2.jpg

Hidden

What does this mean for us?  Will we be moving some of the servers we have?  Will we be opening more or a new server?  Is it all the same stuff at a lower cost or a change in performance?  It's a lot of technical detail, but I'm not absorbing it as anything meaningful.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden
15 minutes ago, Joshy said:

What does this mean for us?  Will we be moving some of the servers we have?  Will we be opening more or a new server?  Is it all the same stuff at a lower cost or a change in performance?  It's a lot of technical detail, but I'm not absorbing it as anything meaningful.

I’m pretty sure purge was talking about getting moved 

STEAM 

76561198079961574.pngAddFriend.png

4 hours ago, Dreae said:

I'm curious if the GAME-3 is the most economical option, I was under the impression that srcds was CPU limited at higher player counts, I would think with 32 GB of RAM you would max the CPU before you ran out of RAM. Also worth noting that GAME-1 and GAME-2 are 30% off for as long as you keep the server if you order them now, the normal prices for them are $49.99 and $59.99 respectively.

SRCDS servers do not use much RAM and 32 GBs is more than enough in my opinion. The CPU would indeed be limited before running out of RAM. Now that I think of it, with the Intel i7-4790K and Intel i7-6700K having similar single-threaded performance according to the benchmarks I've seen, we could easily go with GAME-2 and still achieve around the same performance as the GAME-3 machine. I'm going to look around for other benchmarks.

I wasn't aware that those first two machines were on sale. I apologize for not realizing that. I had a feeling $34.30/m for that machine was too good to be true!

I will look further into it and possibly see if purchasing the GAME-2 machine would be best.

Also, here's our RAM usage for one of our NFO machines running 19 online SRCDS servers:

1882026e1af4a6.png

Please note the machine has 32 GBs of RAM total. Therefore, those 19 servers consume a total of 12 GBs of RAM total averagely.

4 hours ago, Joshy said:

Whether or not servers are moved from NFO to this machine is up to the Division Leaders. I believe the Garry's Mod DLs were looking into moving some dead servers from NFO to OVH to see if they would receive more population. When moving from NFO to OVH, the server's IP will change along with location. On a technical level, the operating system will most likely change from Windows to Linux unless if the server is hosted on our NFO VPS which is already running Linux.

With that said, we are going to be opening new servers on this machine in Garry's Mod, Left 4 Dead 1/2, Killing Floor 1/2, and Call of Duty 4.

Thanks.

Hidden

Ah, that is super.  I think this is known to have helped in the past.  I'm assuming, when you say dead servers, TTT will be untouched.  Would a linux machine have better performance?  I thought it was generally more challenging for the leaders unless they are already familiar with linux; I was led to believe, that GMOD is a more difficult to server to faciliate or maintain, and I've noticed its instabilities as a player compared to the counter-strike servers.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden
31 minutes ago, Joshy said:

Would a linux machine have better performance?

Should not be of noticeable difference from a windows machine, with the exception of CS:GO due to a bug. Linux servers are easier to debug and support ZFS, which saves us a HUGE amount of disk space.

2 hours ago, Dreae said:

I'm curious if the GAME-3 is the most economical option

tbh would go with GAME-3 solely on the fact that it has 480 GB of disk as opposed to 240.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

Posted  Edited by Dreae · Hidden
Hidden
1 hour ago, Roy said:

I wasn't aware that those first two machines were on sale. I apologize for not realizing that. I had a feeling $34.30/m for that machine was too good to be true!

They do state that the promotional price is valid for as long as you renew the server, so it's still a great price. I just don't know how long it will be available, I got the email about the promotion on Saturday, and since then they've already sold out on the GAME-1 servers. And to be fair even $59.99 a month for a 4790k and 32 GB of RAM is a great price, similar servers easily run you in the $80 - $100 a month range elsewhere. Even the OVH MC-32 is $89.99 per month, and as you say the 4790k and 6700k perform similarly (PassMark even has the 4790k out performing the 6700k)

Edited by Dreae

Dreae2.jpg

3 hours ago, Joshy said:

Ah, that is super.  I think this is known to have helped in the past.  I'm assuming, when you say dead servers, TTT will be untouched.  Would a linux machine have better performance?  I thought it was generally more challenging for the leaders unless they are already familiar with linux; I was led to believe, that GMOD is a more difficult to server to faciliate or maintain, and I've noticed its instabilities as a player compared to the counter-strike servers.

I haven't done any testing between Linux & Windows performance apart from CS:GO. In CS:GO, there is currently a networking thread limitation that I've reported on Valve's GitHub here. We don't plan on running any big CS:GO servers on this machine, though.

Our CS:S servers ran completely fine on Linux and honestly, I'd prefer Linux due to the debugging we are able to do with crashes and so on. Unfortunately, I don't believe SRCDS provides Windows symbols for crash dumps and so on.

As for Garry's Mod, I don't truly know if there is a difference between Windows and Linux regarding performance. The only difference with Linux (apart from being a different operating system) in Garry's Mod that I've noticed is each addon folder must be lower-case. Otherwise, it won't be loaded. This is a bug in Garry's Mod and I will probably report it sometime in the future. Though, it isn't a high priority as of now. We haven't hosted a very popular Garry's Mod server on Linux before, so this will be something new to us. I believe we will be fine.

Other than that, our servers should be performing great with these future machines.

Thanks.

Hidden
1 hour ago, Roy said:

This is a bug in Garry's Mod and I will probably report it sometime in the future.

They know. Seems to be an issue with SRCDS.

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

13 minutes ago, Xy_ said:

They know. Seems to be an issue with SRCDS.

If I remember correctly, Garry's Mod tries loading addons using all lower-case characters. This is fine on Windows because folders aren't case-sensitive. However, on Linux, folder names are case-sensitive. Therefore, if it tries to load "addons/testfolder" but the folder is actually "addons/TestFolder", it won't load.

Not a big deal in my opinion, though. When I first experienced that issue, it did take me an hour to figure it out haha.

Thanks.

An Update

I tried ordering the GAME-3 machine on Monday but ran into a bug while ordering the machine. Currently, when trying to order a GAME-3 machine for Montreal, it displays as France on the order page.

I called SYS support on Monday and they made a ticket stating they escalated the request to their web team. I haven't heard back from them since then. I replied back to the ticket today asking for an update and if it's possible to reserve a GAME-3 machine for us because I notice the machine running out of stock quite often.

Initial ticket email:

Hello,

This is Taylor from SoyouStart, we spoke earlier over the phone. I'm sending you this message as a follow-up to our conversation regarding problems purchasing a GAME-3 server located in Canada.

As per our discussion, I have escalated this case to our web team, and we will contact you again as soon as we hear back from them in this matter. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and thank you for your patience in this matter.

For any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us through a support ticket or through our toll-free line at 1-844-768-7827. We’re here 24/7 to help you!

We thank you again for choosing SoyouStart,

Taylor G.
Customer Advocate

My reply today:

Hey Taylor,

I apologize for the delay.

I was wondering if there were any updates regarding this ticket. I saw the machine available again a couple days ago but it displayed as France on the order page.

Would there be a way to reserve a GAME-3 machine in the Montreal data center for me?

Thank you for your time! 

I will reply back to this thread once I receive an update from them.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh March 29th, I decided to purchase an OVH machine in Canada. Unfortunately, SYS has taken three weeks and still haven't restocked their GAME-3 machine for Canada. After exchanging emails addressing a bug along with asking when machines will be available, I've decided to just purchase an OVH machine due to SYS not knowing when stocks will be available. This is very unfortunate since the SYS GAME-3 machine was $20.00/m cheaper and had an additional 32 GBs of RAM.

I spent the following two - three days setting the new machine up (networking + firewall + machines + control panel). I want to thank @Xy_ for the help with the control panel and game server machine. We are currently working on implementing auto-updates into the control panel. Once this is done, we will set up L4D 1/2 and KF 1/2 servers along with starting our expansion into Garry's Mod, Rust, and other games. We will also be looking into how we can set up servers that need to run on Windows such as Red Orchestra 2 and Chivalry: Medieval Warfare.

I've already sent a request to one geo-location company about getting our OVH IPs (198.50.132.56/29) geo-located to Chicago, US. I've done this for MaxMind so far. I will look for more companies in the future. This can take up to a couple weeks depending on how long it takes MaxMind to respond.

We will be posting an announcement about our expansion into Garry's Mod and other games soon. I just want to finish getting everything set up first.

I just wanted to thank everyone for being so patient while we waited to order the machine along with setting it up.

Thanks!