RVFK

Constructive Criticism/Attempted art thread

Posted  Edited by YYZ

I just started photoshop today and decided to follow a YT video on how to make cool lettering, give me some constructive criticism and tips on how I can improve it

For context: Volbeat is a Danish rockband 

Volbeat.thumb.png.c485489df0720871145ed6f25341172b.png

Edited by YYZ

rudepog.PNG.3a1c25f3009ab8e9219ba200ef1a01a5.PNG

I can't really read the LBE of Volbeat. Also 3-D font within Photoshop itself is only good if you want the letters to stand out. 

I focus more on the picture itself, focusing that the background plays well with the letters and the font, and everything plays well together, while staying minimalistic. I don't try using complex images (like the guitar you used) because it's too much for the eye. 

Overall I just think you used the 3-D tab to make that image, and then used the blending options to overlay the 3-D render with a guitar pattern. 

For having started photoshop today, I like it. I would like to see maybe a little less with the 3-D function itself, try focusing more on creating things like this logo. That video hyperlinked is what I started Photoshopping on my own with.

Tips: Play around in Photoshop, get to know what each function does by trial-and-error. The pen tool is your best friend, as is the magic stick and the quick selection tool. Get to know how to use the gradients and it would be fantastic as well. Download a shitload of fonts and use them to play around and find fonts and designs that play well with each other.

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

3 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

I can't really read the LBE of Volbeat. Also 3-D font within Photoshop itself is only good if you want the letters to stand out. 

Now that you say that it does look difficult to read

3 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

Overall I just think you used the 3-D tab to make that image, and then used the blending options to overlay the 3-D render with a guitar pattern. 

I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_bcmoLDUoA

4 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

For having started photoshop today, I like it. I would like to see maybe a little less with the 3-D function itself, try focusing more on creating things like this logo. That video hyperlinked is what I started Photoshopping on my own with.

I will actually attempt to do this and give you an update on it if you would like

5 minutes ago, TheSadBandit said:

Tips: Play around in Photoshop, get to know what each function does by trial-and-error. The pen tool is your best friend, as is the magic stick and the quick selection tool. Get to know how to use the gradients and it would be fantastic as well. Download a shitload of fonts and use them to play around and find fonts and designs that play well with each other.

I have been messing around with it as well and will continue to.  I swapped out the gradients for the guitar but will try without. I also downloaded a decent amount of fonts as well

Thanks for the feedback!

rudepog.PNG.3a1c25f3009ab8e9219ba200ef1a01a5.PNG

7 minutes ago, YYZ said:

I will actually attempt to do this and give you an update on it if you would like

Yeah, I would love to see how you do!

here's one I did for @Tlar

Tlar.thumb.jpg.0d7dd67a5a8d86c66095e5d902b2b241.jpg

Posted  Edited by TheSadBandit

Also learn how to use Inner Shadowing, that blending option is awesome, and makes for the font to look like mine in my signature (if you're able to see it). Also mess around with opacity of brushes, eraser, backgrounds, of everything, and find designs that fit each other. For example, my signature is like 4 different wallpapers merged into one, different opacities, and different erased areas to make sure the font is legible, while still maintaining the space-y, galactic look that I was looking for.

I also watched the guy's video you linked, as I like the final design, I find it too easy to create something that cool, I tend to steer away from that function myself, and stick more to blending options (because you can add gradients and such) and make the whole think look simplistic (also when playing around with 3D I found that sometimes when you expand/decrease the size of the font it blurs).

Edited by TheSadBandit