WholeMilk

Population Schedule

Posted  Edited by WholeMilk

Suggestion:

Some GFL servers are under populated and that makes it difficult to get decent content to show.  I believe that we should exchange active hours so that if we ever wanted to try and populate these servers multiple members could join in together for better quality content.

It only takes about five to get players to join into a server, usually the ones that are there for" Low player base and less chaos" which overtime brings in more.  (This is especially true for GFL which already has members/admins and the like which all would like to join various servers, however aren't willing to wait for them to populate.)

I understand that due to where we are located our schedules may vary but I still believe that we could benefit.

My personal active hours are usually 7 P.M. to 12 P.M. EST (The hours I stream) while weekends I am mostly free.  :yes:

Edited by WholeMilk

When I go on vacation in about two weeks I don't mind helping out, just gotta get my sleep schedule all back to normal. Right now I'm busy from 12 am to 8:30 am then pretty much play for a couple hours then to bed.

swegbuster1.png

Which person is more likely to get promoted?

• PersonA who plays on SuperPopular server that is currently the top server in the community, and is decaying about 5 ~ 6 people per year
  • PersonB who has nurtured SlowServer server that has been growing 1 ~ 2 people per year

What if leadership were full of PersonA's and they're trying to populate a bunch of SlowServer servers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTFdjs_QGWc

The energy in this idea is noble, but its mechanisms do not fall far from previous efforts.  Focus on nurturing the server such that is intrinsically attractive to players; work on culture for incentives.  Nobody wants to put time on a dead server if it's not fun and they'll get nothing for it (If anything: They  might be treated as second or third class members of the community)

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

6 hours ago, Joshy said:

• PersonA who plays on SuperPopular server that is currently the top server in the community, and is decaying about 5 ~ 6 people per year
  • PersonB who has nurtured SlowServer server that has been growing 1 ~ 2 people per year

What if leadership were full of PersonA's and they're trying to populate a bunch of SlowServer servers?

The energy in this idea is noble, but its mechanisms do not fall far from previous efforts.  Focus on nurturing the server such that is intrinsically attractive to players; work on culture for incentives.  Nobody wants to put time on a dead server if it's not fun and they'll get nothing for it (If anything: They  might be treated as second or third class members of the community)

I mean you are not wrong

also just a tip of advice to any people in the future don't make a server appear to run on it's own in a fashion that seems so flawless start gloating as soon as you do it and make it the most common thought of anyone and everyone that you did that also best of luck @WholeMilk

Achievements

6 hours ago, Joshy said:

While it true that slowserver won't be as glamorous as superpopular server, and is less likely to bring the players any real attention, I feel like a true old school population team inherently isn't concerned with rank. The whole point is to populate until either they burn out or the server gets populated, then move onto the next one and repeat. Eventually it'll take a toll on them, and they'll quit the team to return to normal playing. But regardless, it's not really about the rank. The glory would be more so in being able to say "I populated CSGO ZE and made it into what it is today" a year or two from then. It's a slow thing, but it does pay off. 

Sometimes, the populating of the server can be as quick as 3 months. Breach didn't take very long to become one of our most popular servers. It helps that it's new, but it still didn't take too much time, comparatively speaking. Some servers take a long time to populate like GMod ZS which had a decent run at a semi popular server. At one point in time we were maxing out at 60/60 quite frequently. In the end, it died and was not salvaged. Such is the nature of some servers. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think it's self defeating to assume that a new/dead server is a "slowserver". It's only as slow as the effort put in. 

Although, for a lot of players that won't be enough incentive. Probably the best thing to do, as I've suggested in the past is to offer up an operator style rank to anyone willing to populate a new server. It'll help with the whole "not enough admins" aspect of populating a new server, and will also bring in a lot of players from other servers. Both as a chance to prove themselves, and as a way to get power. While it would be bad to give an abusive player admin powers, it's really not that bad to give them operator. A light screening process would make it ridiculously easy to prevent anyone going full overboard with it. It's not hard to train someone when to gag/mute unruly players. In fact, most mature normal players probably already know when and when not to gag/mute. 

So I guess I somewhat agree, especially with the whole focus on attractive servers and not just any server we feel like making. New servers for brand new gamemodes are definitely much better than trying to start up a new server for an already established gamemode. Players are migrating A LOT to try and find the best fit for them. And I mostly agree but slightly disagree on the whole people not wanting to play without incentives thing. Admins will want to help out due to the fact that they tend to be more involved in the community than normal members. Normal players will be resistant and will not want to help out unless there's something "in it" for them. Which is why I propose giving population team members an operator style rank on the new servers. Or at least dangle the possibility of it over them. Probably will want to limit it a bit so it doesn't seem like it's given to everyone. That might scare off some new players. But either way, there DOES have to be a reward to truly get a large team helping out. Otherwise it'll just be admins, which does lead to a whole not enough admins problem on the older servers and will prove to be problematic if their main server has no admins on it. Our population team will have to come from mostly normal members and not admins. And I think that this could be a great place for members to prove their worth and dedication to the greater good of the community which could lead to them gaining more ranks in the community. 

"Be good people"

You could try advertising events for the particular server that may or may not help the server. It just depends on how well it will succeed or fail. Another way is promote the server elsewhere like those websites that Roy gave out to advertise on.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I'm a glory type of person as you described, Push, and that's what I was trying to poke at in my first post.

My meaning is this: We need more glory people just like ourselves, but our current structure supports people who coattail success rather than drive it.  People who go for glory here are often creamed (often meaning that I wont deny a few exceptions although I cannot immediately think of any).  Asking for our own people to sit on low population servers is difficult to do because they aren't rewarded for their efforts, and sometimes are even frowned upon as if it's their fault the server is slow.

Last: I have always supported your operator suggested global and for introductory servers, which I believe falls into the category of nurturing the server (building leadership has to be a part of it).  I've made posts on the greater forums supporting it in various flavours.  I have additional ideas although I need to step away... too busy to type more for now.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

So much good stuff in here. Slowly working on an improvement of the exact issuse with People that do their Best to revive dead servers are frowned upon. I too experienced this and still take shit for it. There’s currently not much that Can be done, but I see a future where it’s possible. It Will not be a Day-Day thing more like a year at the pace we are moving.

Nerd

Achievements