Coolest Cat

Is GFL dying?

I know that it's easy to say this and I feel like it has been for a while. We have MG, 1V1, surf rpg, surf timer, and bhop on CSGO, and all of them are dead except for ZE. On GMOD we have deathrun, prop hunt, and imperial RP. 

Not to mention all the other games that have 0 fire left burning in them. 

It just seems like we only have 3 or 4 active servers with all of the others either dead or dying. I know GFL will never die as long as our core servers remain alive, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that everything else is dead. We have 23 servers but I can only think of 4 living ones. It feels like a star burning its fuel fast due to growing too large.

Anyway, I know it's not a popular suggestion, but maybe we should face the truth and cut our losses. I would volunteer to help out with populating a server, but there's 20 that need the help. How do I pick one? The last remaining members of each one want their server to live, and it pains me to see GFL in its current shape. The summer just ended and we're going to see even bigger drops as people have to focus on school. I just hope that we can some how bring ourselves into better shape by summer of 2019.

I guess. I want to know what you guys think and why you think it. I think we've bit off more than we can chew. I just want to see us cut down back to 4 or 5 servers and work our way back. The gambler fallacy is strong with us, and we want to believe that if we just keep trying then things will work out, but we don't change our ways. Sometimes losses are necessary for victory, and I hope that we can one day see that. I want to help GFL but there is just too many servers to help out with. I wish we could just do it one at a time. 

Anyway, feel free to share how you feel. I love GFL, and I've spent almost a third of my life with the community. I want to see it back to how it used to be, and I do think it's possible if we put the time and effort into it. I am hopeful and have no doubt in my mind that we can bring it back if we all work together. Anyway, remember to always be civil and not use this thread as an excuse to level jabs at other people. We're all people who care for GFL in our own way. 

Thanks. 

"Be good people"

Yeah, it just seems that we've been trying so many servers that don't really work out...

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

We were discussing flaws and how much the changes made it worse. We aren't saying change is bad, but some changes were too much of an effect toward the community itself. I personally noticed the amount of admins resigning for reasons of "dead server". Excuse me, I thought it was the admin job to keep it up. Dead or not, you apply as an admin to help the server. If you just want it for appearance or just to make it look like you are admin and only help if necessary. Please don't. The changes right now needs to go slow and wait patiently for what comes. Don't give up just because things aren't going so well. Wait till it's for sure, it's over. At least it shows that you tried and dedicated your time to the server. 

The only thing we are worried about is the expansion on games that shouldn't be expanding due to population issue. Especially when there is competition that is obviously not going very well. Take it slow.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

Posted  Edited by k2nod

Maybe focus more on servers than other stuff don't want to point anyone but like all these teams if they had a primary role as a server admin and secondary as media team exemple they would have to be active on a server to be apart of that team. And tbh a lot of people are active on a server until they get admin and that's when they start fading away because they achieved their goal. Anyway I just think servers should be a priority. Not pointing to anyone but the forums don't need too much moderation as it's semi-active and PR isn't really needed at this moment. If all the people in these teams would be server admins I think it would increase chances of populating. I know it can be annoying to stay on a server alone to populate it but it's something that is needed to increase the chances of getting players. I think we should go back to the old ways and instead of making stuff for the community that we have we should start building it back up because it's been down. Anyway I suck at talking but yeah I hope you guys understand my point.

PS: SM+ already moderate the forums so there isn't a need for a dedicated team at least until it starts becoming active like it use to be.

Edited by k2nod

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

30 minutes ago, k2nod said:

PS: SM+ already moderate the forums so there isn't a need for a dedicated team at least until it starts becoming active like it use to be.

I know some people on the moderation team don't even play GFL servers or any games really, and this is just something they do, while server managers DO play servers and SHOULD focus on that.

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

4 minutes ago, Duc2000 said:

I know some people on the moderation team don't even play GFL servers or any games really, and this is just something they do, while server managers DO play servers and SHOULD focus on that.

I totally understand your point but being active on the forums is also part of the server managers duty. And it's not like the forums are in need of active moderation. And btw I said SM

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

Posted  Edited by strawberry crab

If GFL is a "star" as so you put then it's probably a white dwarf at this point with players being condensed to a few servers If the original statement holds true.

Edited by strawberry crab

space.png

I've said it internally for PR that we might open a population team and dedicate it to ONE server at a time. @Xy and @Darkling would probably be rather excited for a population team as they both really want to see servers grow. Cutting some servers would most likely help as they actually get 0 population and then re-build and re-open at a later point. People not having admin but being part of a team is really NOT an issue. If you really think it's an issue then give me 1 reason for it being so. Most that are part of a team are already admin or former staff in GFL. Most are also former admins but can't return as admin or have no intentions to ever admin again based on experience from their servers. They however like GFL and really want to see GFL flourish and grow to a community where people can have a great time and loads of fun.

If you have any issues with a team member then feel free to contact any of it's leaders and tell them the issue. (the team members not being admin is NOT an issue, but feel free to rant away in a PM to me)

Nerd

Achievements

I said it in the Global chat just a couple of days ago.. I felt as if servers are dying and it NEVER was like this.. As you stated... GFL won't  "die" but what about the servers our players have come to love? 

It;'s sad to say it Pull, but we do need to do something as a COMMUNITY.

I like the fact you addressed this, as no body else has.. or even agrees with me when i said it. 

I wanted to be brief- whoops about last night.

I'm not against population teams; on the contrary: I encourage it, but I also know it isn't enough to make it happen.  I think we have a lot of great suggestions lurking around the suggestion forums and lingering deep within trusted.  We have to break away from convention.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

idk about breach, and how many players it pulls, but i know ttt pulls about 30 players, which is 75-80% of the server's max player count

Former Gmod Prop Hunt Admin

Former Media Team Team Leader

Former Media Team GFX Member

On 9/22/2018 at 10:56 AM, strawberry crab said:

If GFL is a "star" as so you put then it's probably a white dwarf at this point with players being condensed to a few servers If the original statement holds true.

im confused about your terminology of "star", in the marketing world, a star is something that will become a cash cow, and grow exponentially, gfl seems to be split in half between dog and cash cow though, lots of dead servers and some servers that are well, as well as a fairly active forums. 

I agree with having the servers that are dead and have been for a while to be removed, it is fairly useless to have servers that aren't running as they used to up anymore, especially when they have 0 players at peak times. im not sure if some information was disclosed about the servers, so i will not say them, but we are working on growing the population of the servers, and I would be much more for removing them if after the population attempt fails.

2 hours ago, TheSadBandit said:

idk about breach, and how many players it pulls, but i know ttt pulls about 30 players, which is 75-80% of the server's max player count

well, it depends for breach. It's usually 30-45 during the evening EST. with less than 10 even 0 at times during the mid-day for weekdays and 3-5 am EST.

space.png

1 hour ago, strawberry crab said:

well, it depends for breach. It's usually 30-45 during the evening EST. with less than 10 even 0 at times during the mid-day for weekdays and 3-5 am EST.

Yeah, that's usually when everyone is out of work/school, so I wouldn't assume people to be getting on mid-day like they would during summer