reduct

[CS:GO ZE] Possibly hosting a mapping event?

Mapping Event  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in seeing this community hold a mapping event?

• Yes
    • No

I think this is a great idea. We've seen similar unofficial events which have given us fun maps to play and this would help spice up the map rotation as well as give mappers somethin fun to take part in!:)

Posted  Edited by Flops

i think this is a bad idea cause

1. this community literally only has like 3 good mappers

2. incentive isnt gonna be good enough for someone to dedicate a large amount of time cause admins :money_with_wings:

3. judge panel would be heavily biased (ME LOVE LUFF MAP SMOrc)

let mapeadores keep their idea xd

also let the mappers who wanna participate choose whether themed or no theme - forcing theme upon mappers limits artistic expression

OVERALL 

Good idea, but probably wouldn't work for our community. 

maybe once it stops being trash it will :wheelchair:

Edited by Flops

I like this idea with a few details to create as a framework.

1. We need 3-4 (ideally 4) maps to play. 

2. 30 min per map (so mapper has to design it to be winnable, but not so easy we dont like it... puts a goal for the mappers)

3. must be 1 level, with a boss fight (why not)

4. Must be 100% Anonymous. We dont want the luff groupies all spamming for luff just because they want to taste his sweet man nectar... Map makers cannot be exposed until after the voting is done!

5. Community vote.... after the maps are played, up to the community to vote. 

6. Could we do some sort of a prize for the mappers to get them to try hard making a map? do they already get VIP? if not maybe winner gets free VIP for the month... 

I like this idea! would be fun to get some new maps  

I think it would be nice to focus on attracting young blood into mapping, so i'd suggest to avoid setting requirements on what to/not to make as long as it's within the realm of playable ZE.
I'd also suggest at running it somewhat short with smaller projects in mind. I strongly believe that dragged out projects tend to get easily procrastinated and/or scrapped completely.

Keeping it simple, short and juicy should hopefully incite more people to join in.

If you're interested in trying it out, i suggest checking out this site:

https://www.tophattwaffle.com/tutorials

The 100% anonymous thing to prevent bias sounds impossible to maintain as people will probably see who the mapper is based on the design itself. 
Also, if a mapper is to ask for help on things it would just make it harder to keep it a secret. And what if it's revealed who the mapper is? Does that mapper get disqualified?
All in all it feel a bit too cumbersome for its cause.

If a map is playable and gets added to the server you get the mapper-role, right? That alone is a pretty neat reward as you get a free slot on the server.
(though it would never hurt if anyone would like to throw in something extra to attract more people ;))

Don't worry about my man-nectar @hotEvercLear, i'm busy working on my current projects so i'm pretty sure i'll stay clear from participating.

Posted  Edited by hotEvercLear

I do often think and worry about your man nectar Luff! so many Pizza/Korea fags want to rob you of your sweet sweet juices!!!!!! There are already enough haunted dolls coming for you, we dont need young aggressive autistic cancers trying to drain you as well.... that is what bigfoot is for! @Luffaren

I think it would also be interesting to go the exact opposite route of what I was thinking originally....  1st time mappers only! we would have to do a lot of testing prior since we are all first timers, but could be fun way to get some new mapping blood into the mix! 

Edited by hotEvercLear

Yes pls

No theme would probably be the best bet tbh just so nobodies ideas are restricted, but i would also be down to contribute to creating a list of some sorts where we just give out a fuk ton of vague ideas for ppl who are interested in mapping but dont exactly know what they wanna do

A 1 month time limit would probably be good, since it's long enough to learn the basics and short enough for the event to not be forgettable

14 hours ago, Luffaren said:

If a map is playable and gets added to the server you get the mapper-role, right? That alone is a pretty neat reward as you get a free slot on the server.
(though it would never hurt if anyone would like to throw in something extra to attract more people ;))

I like this too :lenny: like a participants award or something to give a lil more incentive to ppl to start mapping

This event is mainly to start attracting more people to start mapping for CSGO ZE as a whole. I personally don’t really care which community the mappers who take part in is regular of, as long as they are familiar with this server’s rules and settings.

Based on initial feedback, it seems like setting a theme for mappers is not ideal right now. 

And as for incentive, there is only so much server managers can do since we don’t typically have access to the funds. We are willing to reward the “winner(s)” for the contest but with exactly what is still in the air. Any of the maps entered into the contest that are relatively bug-free and playable by the end will be added into the server and new mappers who are successful do get to earn the [Mapper] role in-server.

Maybe people who know how to map can get it done in a month... but if the goal is to attract new people as well then how playable are those maps gonna really be if they have 30 days?

We could think of something server side to help raise money for a prize pool like $5 to not be mother zombie for a week. Or donate a certain amount to become a judge. Because if we do extend it past a month like everyone is saying, I would like the mappers to feel motivated to keep going and get them submitted and a decent prize would do that.

Posted  Edited by hotEvercLear

I have been hammering!!!!!! 

you know what I realized... I can make more LOTR maps!!!!!!! MORE MORE MORE!!!!!! EVERY PLACE IN MIDDLE EARTH WITH A GENERAL DESCRIPTION IN THE BOOKS IS RIPE FOR HAMMERING!!!!!!!!

Edited by hotEvercLear

I voted No because of the aforementioned reasons given by Fetty (if he even means them anyway).

This mapping contest, by paper, seems like a pretty good idea at first, but looking at the current state of Zombie Escape on GFL, it's hardly worth it at this present time because:

-There are only a handful of good mappers now. There's lack of innovation for the mod since all I'm seeing that is the major fad are maps that revolve around lethal, low-ping fast-moving lasers, and memes "of the highest quality". The newer mappers blindly follow these tropes and have absolute lack of innovation, and only a few makers like Eastern Swiss Power show some creativity. 

This is also one of the reasons why people like SoadY1991 have quit Zombie Escape entirely.

In this potential map making event, I would only favor those that make maps of high caliber (such as Enviolinador and Soft Serve) and rule out the cesspool that other makers would end up with which consist of maps that use lasers and/or memes to an absurd degree.

-There's not enough incentive for those wishing to join the contest. I understand the managers can only do so much with the rewards, but since the mappers have a month-long or weeks-long deadline to work on, the rewards better be something worthwhile.

Skins? Going down the Hannibal and Kaemon route now, are we?

-Judge panel can potentially be biased towards a map and its maker. The chosen judges for this event should be balanced with their judgement/evaluations for a certain map and a certain maker. Not one judge should be heavily in favor of a casual setting nor a tryhard setting. Furthermore, there's a chance that one might favor a certain map maker just because "he/she has made a plethora of great maps and never fails to impress me". Such impressions should be dropped when evaluating one's map for a contest.

A map making contest is nice and all, but my vote will stay at "No".

I feel like thats a lil backwards sniper lmao if there's a lack of innovation then perhaps we need more mappers rather than less, everybodies gotta start somewhere and not everyone wants to just pick up mapping for fun, so starting a contest to set up a little incentive for new minds to pick up the hobby could really help out the community in the long run. If the flow of maps being made is against what you prefer, then pick up hammer and make one to try and change the tide. I agree that if we do a mapping event we will probably get a lot of meme maps, but people wont rely on memes forever. After they get their first map done chances are they'll wanna do another which means we get more maps to play and if people dont wanna play em, they won't. Also it's kinda odd to call out mappers who use lasers and/or memes then praise the Rush B mapper in the same sentence since Rush B is truly a meme map of the highest quality with lasers lmfao

Plus with it being a contest, if memes are truly an issue, the theme for the contest could be 'no hardcore memes' :omegalul:

15 hours ago, Snip13r said:

Everything he said in this post

Pretty much everything he said in this post. Now i've been a ze player for a very fuckin long time so i've seen everything shift in maps n such. And considering 90% of the good mappers left the community (with only luffaren and cunizcek left) mappers tend to make the most obnoxious garbage i've ever seen created.

If you want to make a mapping contest make sure people come up with their own ideas and not steal it from other maps.

Putting a million lasers in a map doesn't make it good.

Make something original like the guy who made platformer.