reduct

[CS:GO ZE] Possibly hosting a mapping event?

Mapping Event  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in seeing this community hold a mapping event?

• Yes
    • No

Posted  Edited by omarfire00

Considering the huge support for this contest (with the exception of Flops and Sniper), there's an amazing principle of life that can be exercised here with regards to possible issues of pre-conceived bias / favouritism. 

The principle is that if everyone has a biased advantage, then no one has a biased advantage. By what manner would this work or be executed?

It should be innately clear that server administrators are the most trusted members of the server, otherwise, they wouldn't have been accepted for their respective positions. As such, each mapper participant should be able to choose one server administrator to be a participating judge in the contest. Therefore, the greater the participation in the contest (which is amazing!), the more inputs will be available towards the judging period. 

However, it shouldn't solely be those admins on the judging panel, there should also be two guest mappers on the judging panel since they'd also be highly qualified to present their input. Finally, the community following the testing of all the maps should be able to vote for their favourite map, which would account for one vote on the judging panel. In addition, the votes of the judge panel members will be anonymous amongst themselves, the contest participants, as well as the community as a whole. This is to ensure that no inner or outer bias takes place. 

Edited by omarfire00

On 11/1/2018 at 9:31 PM, omarfire00 said:

Considering the huge support for this contest (with the exception of Flops and Sniper), there's an amazing principle of life that can be exercised here with regards to possible issues of pre-conceived bias / favouritism. 

The principle is that if everyone has a biased advantage, then no one has a biased advantage. By what manner would this work or be executed?

It should be innately clear that server administrators are the most trusted members of the server, otherwise, they wouldn't have been accepted for their respective positions. As such, each mapper participant should be able to choose one server administrator to be a participating judge in the contest. Therefore, the greater the participation in the contest (which is amazing!), the more inputs will be available towards the judging period. 

However, it shouldn't solely be those admins on the judging panel, there should also be two guest mappers on the judging panel since they'd also be highly qualified to present their input. Finally, the community following the testing of all the maps should be able to vote for their favourite map, which would account for one vote on the judging panel. In addition, the votes of the judge panel members will be anonymous amongst themselves, the contest participants, as well as the community as a whole. This is to ensure that no inner or outer bias takes place. 

so like when are you gonna finish wutai tho

if omar wants to talk philosophy and whatnot then lets talk incentives

human behavior is dictated by incentives

if you want high quality maps (work done for free with a huge learning curve) and not total dogshit, you better find the next luffaren or provide something a good incentive

4head 20 dollars for a month of work on top of learning how to map 4head

well i mean its a lil wack to expect high quality maps for a short contest, even mapeas mapping contests are full of poorly made maps with the exception of a few from the more experienced mappers, but the take-away isnt the broken/bad maps, it’s the fact that more people are learning to map, and while some may think mapping is boring and stop, others will wanna continue to make more

The incentive is mainly to try to push people who have wanted to make a map but never felt like starting, so a small prize is fine, i dont think anyones expecting anything extravagent for a csgo mapping contest lmfao

A big prize would be dope and probably would attract more people and mappers from other communities, but if the funds arent there i dont see a problem with just trying to pull in potential from our own community with whatever we got.

In short:

Dont do a contest -> nothing in the community changes

Do a contest -> potential for new mappers to join the community and a new flow of maps

i feel like everyone in support of this is being so optimistic (to the point of just having 0 foresight).. Does anyone honestly expect mappers to join gfl and for good maps to be made with such a low incentive?

sure, theoretically mappers can join and the next great map can be made

but are you kidding me this is gfl lol im willing to wager good money that 5 people participate who are already mappers/beginning to map and their maps get added

and then they are never played 4head

If there are NO negative side effects of hosting such an event (with regards to admin wallets or the hassle of getting this event out) then fine, I guess I'll concede and the event would be fine. But really, I'm positive that nothing worthwhile will come out of such an event. Hopefully, i will be proven wrong (but i wont cause im jesus)

You're not wrong, but its worth a shot lmao plus it'll be fun for people who participate, like that 2day challenge we did a few months back was probably some of the most fun times i had mapping tbh

Plus considering how people are always giving admins shit about hosting events that nobody asked for and a lot of people seem to be showing support for the idea (in the poll), it could be a good thing for everyone

For sure a lot of maps wont be played after the event (rip pokemon rivals) but what happens after the event is irrelevant when talking about doing the event cause it's more important to see whether it'll be fun during the event. Cause even if nothing worthwhile comes out of this kind of event its a lot more worthwhile than random toxicity tbh lmfao

The only real negative effect of hosting the event would be the 'admins wallets' argument, but im about 95% sure you dont actually care about how the admins are spending their money