Flops

How to improve GFL's broken map system

Posted  Edited by Flops - Edit Reason: Yeet

Hey everyone, we all know the map voting system is flawed and stupid (4 spam LUL me play Korea LUL). Its becoming commonplace to see maps that we are literally in the middle of beating being rtved by mindless subhuman normies.

Spacecow (who doesn't have good enough English skills to make the post himself) suggested to me that we include a little message to new players, telling them that they can change their map vote using !revote. I suggest we put this little message on the box that comes up when it is time to vote for a new map, specifically on the numbers 1-3 where we have the message "Choose ur vote wisely" or whatever the fuck it is.

This could possibly be a good solution to 4 spamming newbies who just want to get this annoying little box off their screen.

P.S - Hopefully, the admins will actually contribute something to this discussion rather than toss it out the window. OMEGALUL don't do their job OMEGALUL

Cheers!

Edited by Flops
Yeet

6 minutes ago, Auvora said:

Prime example being how we just switched from castlevania on the 2nd to last level to go to tv station :omegalul:

thats exactly why spacecow asked me to make the post

Posted  Edited by Flops
1 minute ago, reduct said:

Did you guys want something like what PSE has for their voting system?

what is this something?

also this kinda reinforces the NA PSE clone meme (xd)

Edited by Flops

Posted  Edited by reduct

Its a Disclaimer that pops up before you even get to see the map options. I believe 8 is to continue to the actual nomination list while 9 is "No Vote". So essentially, you have to press two numbers to vote.

I'm gonna be honest, it was a little too tedious and didn't make me want to vote since the big Disclaimer pops up when map votes started.

Edited by reduct

Just now, reduct said:

Its a Disclaimer that pops up before you even get to see the map options. I believe 8 is to continue to the actual nomination list while 9 is "No Vote". So essentially, you have to press two numbers to vote.

wouldnt that system just make it even more inconvenient for all parties? Assuming im a brainless newb, now I have to click TWO buttons just to get this shit off my screen

what if you have to toggle a menu and turn on the ability to vote getting rid of the issue all together just a thought lol.

Achievements

After having a discussion with Spacecow and Fetty, we will be looking to implement some minor messaging changes to help better inform players of our !revote command during map votes.

As for the Random Map Vote suggestion made by Luffaren in an older thread pertaining to similar issues  where it was suggested that players get individualized map nomination list to help prevent 4 spam;

Unfortunately, after gathering some intel and asking around, is not a viable option for us as it requires the plugin handling map voting to be completely re-coded and SourceMod would not be able to handle how the menu would be set up.

2 hours ago, Flops said:

also this kinda reinforces the NA PSE clone meme (xd)

dont worry its not a pse clone only 5 of the plugins are from pse

rest are just open source

PSE allows you to press 1 if you don't want to vote and press 8 to continue to vote, way better then current system and solves the problem. Also pls make it so the map changes at the conclusion of the round the rock the vote has passed not the very instant the vote passes. 

Posted  Edited by NARAKA

IMO You cannot solve this problem if there are still people who don't give a shit they just want to spam number 4 why ? ez look at your left hand the forefinger is easily to reach number 4. So some people just want to get rid of that notification by spamming 4. but why it works for PSE.

PSE is Japanese and you know they don't give up easily. They are fuckin tryhard people. Mostly you will see people dying from doorhugging or whatever. But PSE always die at " Overdefend " so yeah they don't spam 4 even extend number 9 or whatever. They want to finish the map they want to beat the map. So If the map is not done yet so yeah they will extend until its done. Not just okay im done Im dead because of traps or something so im giving up let play other instead.  TBH is all depend on " Players behavior " if you cannot change people behavior. This is like NASA wants to put a man on the Sun without melting. 

Edited by NARAKA

When we are talking about the first option in a map voting list, we are pretty much talking about the default choice (at least for a noticeable number of players).

I believe that Extending a map is the best option as a default. Unless there is a valid reason for changing the current map (such as winning it or being unable to make reasonable progress after several failed attempts), I am for extending it.

Getting to play further parts of long and multilevel maps takes time and requires extends. So it is complicated because it not only relies on the map being voted for, but also extended. Rare extends lead to repeating short maps and first parts of long/multilevel maps more often and to players getting bored with repetition more quickly. Extending maps opens access to additional content.

Not extending a long/multilevel map makes players who like it disappointed. While players who are happy with the current change will run into the same problem when one of their favorite maps is played. This will not make anybody happy in the long run.

So I think that changing a map should preferably be a conscious choice based on inner convictions, rather than a default. If players don't have their own strong opinion in the current case, why not to extend the map if extends are good in the long run?

The only time when I can see abusing the extend option possible is when players influence other players' choice by using ingame voice/text chat, but this can be done with any voting option on the list. Since chat spam is the problem, it is the one that should be deal with (by admins). Changing map order in the voting list will affect players' choices by itself, but will not solve the chat spam problem (maps can be called out by name before voting starts, even if the order is different).

A "No vote" option immediately followed by "Extend" option also looks good enough to me. I'm not a fan of menus with multiple levels, because they require more time/attention/actions to get through, which sometimes leads to bad consequences in tough gameplay situations.

P.S. I would also make it so that rocking_the_vote required more votes (try 60% of players, for example), and trust admins with more freedom in extending maps after making a poll (e.g. make it possible to extend after the time has run out; allow a bigger number of longer extends).