Neiva

Neiva's Graphics / Framerate Thread

Posted  Edited by Neiva

(Updated July 2020)

HAVING TESTED REAL WORLD VS DEMO PERFORMANCE, IT'S NOT 100% ACCURATE. FROM FINDINGS AVERAGE FPS WAS ~15% DIFFERENCE AND 1% / 0.1% LOWS ~40%.

Hey,

Out of curiosity, I have benchmarked CS:GO ZE with demo's / Fraps as I was interested to see what kind of performance I was getting and if I could improve. Wanderers v5_2 was the main map I tested as I think it's a good balance of particles, boss fights and also general optimization. 

All results are used with an overclocked GTX 1070.

System; i7-3770k (16GB DDR3 @ 1600Mhz)

https://imgur.com/a/ElRGm8g - Benchmark results

(Updated) i7-9700k (16GB DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, CL15)

https://imgur.com/a/169wIUT - Benchmark results

As multiplayer is impossble to test consistantly, I feel as though low settings gives more fps and lower input lag. Having played around with screenshots and quality settings, the best comprimise in my opinion is;

Global Shadow Quality: Low (very low / low is pretty much the same)

Model / Texture Detail: High (ideally like CS:S, would want textures high and models would to be low... Why Valve)

Texture Streaming: Disabled

Effect Detail: Medium

Shader Detail: Medium (need those high quality gun models)

Boost Player Contrast: Disabled

Multicore Rendering: Enabled (MAKE SURE THIS IS ENABLED)

Multisampling Anti-Aliasing Mode: None (2x or 4x is nice to have but I feel a slight input lag when the framerate dips)

FXAA Anti-Aliasing: Disabled

Texture Filtering Mode: Anisotriopic 16X (zero performance difference)

Random notes that may help

-Close all background programs. If you want voice chat in the background (ie discord), use Ripcord instead as it's lightweight.

-Turning Windows to High Performance mode will help for DPC latency and mouse input latency. Ultimate Performance Mode isn't recommended.

-Turning Nvidia Power Mode to "Prefer-Maximum Performance" for CS:GO may help as the GPU may go into power saving states.

-Remove any "old" performance options you might have picked up as they may cause issues. Back up your config and start fresh, this may help fix performance issues.

-Windows 1809 and newer, enable game mode. This surpresses background tasks and allows the game to be the main focus. Older versions of game mode had some issues.

-For Ryzen users, look up what the "CCX" for your processor is as Core Affinity can help heaps so that the task doesn't bounce between cores / CCX's. ie Ryzen 3600 has 2 CCX's, 3 cores each. CS:GO uses 4 cores so for the 4th core, it has to travel between CCX adding latency. The Ryzen 3700 performance a lot better than the 3600 for CS:GO due to this issue. Approximately 13% performance impact.  In later Windows 10 versions, the Ryzen Scheduler has helped do this automatically.

-The latest few Nvidia Drivers have been great overall. (446.14)

-Windows 10 2004 update - Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling. I recommend turning this off as it may cause issues. This will be great for the future but currently nothing properly supports.

-Changing to 1600DPI and calculate your sensitivity for a better experience.

Edited by Neiva

i have a i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz and gtx 960 4GB and some weeks ago my fps dropped from 200+ to 40-60 in some 64 player situations. i then installed new drivers and set everything to low settings but that only gave me like 20 fps more.

I then tried out the command mat_queue_mode 2 in console that actually gave me another 20 fps more, you might wanna try that too

I'll reinstall windows soon so maybe i fix it that way.

6 hours ago, donchill said:

i have a i7-2600k @ 4.5 GHz and gtx 960 4GB and some weeks ago my fps dropped from 200+ to 40-60 in some 64 player situations. i then installed new drivers and set everything to low settings but that only gave me like 20 fps more.

I then tried out the command mat_queue_mode 2 in console that actually gave me another 20 fps more, you might wanna try that too

the drop around players is just because csgo is shit

you cant do much to make it better other than lowering settings/other fps boosts

12 hours ago, donchill said:

Any 64- player server will have drops regardless, but it's more CPU related. As seen here on ze_nuke, graphics settings didn't really matter but having a better / or faster CPU gave a higher framerate. (ze_nuke is a really compact map and players are heavily bunched together).

mat_queue_mode 2 is hit or miss. Default (-1) recognizes your system hardware and acts accordingly. (2) forces the multi-core mode. While in theory, they should give the same framerate, people have reported either getting better or worse. Personally I just leave that one as default as Valve have said in "fps boost guides" that the default settings are pretty well optimized by their team for maximum framerate.

Yeah, worth a shot reinstalling Windows. The rolling releases of Windows 10 always seem to bring some new issue and a fresh install fixes it.

just testing my laptop that i usually used for collage with i7 6700HQ ( 2.60 GHz ), DDR4 8GB Ram and GTX 950M ( everything low and disabled except Texture and Shader remain Maximum settings )
launch option :
-novid
-nojoy
-language japanese
-high
-tickrate 128
-nod3d9ex
-dxlevel 80
+fps_max 0
-freq 60
-threads 4
+cl_forcepreload 1

in 64 player situation never get lower than 30 fps ( average fps got 40 ~ 70 fps ) even i turned off the !stopsound ( turning off stopsound make your game lagging / loss i think ). ( on Competitive most of the map got 100 ~ 160 fps )

and also try with Maximum settings ( except V-sync ofc ) still never get lower than 30fps ( but the average fps goes down to 35 ~ 60 fps ) even turned off the !stopsound. this only happened when i'm defend position, doorhug could be diffirent story. ( on Competitive got 80 ~ 130 fps )

tenor.gif

On 11/20/2018 at 7:16 PM, Rune said:

just testing my laptop that i usually used for collage with i7 6700HQ ( 2.60 GHz ), DDR4 8GB Ram and GTX 950M ( everything low and disabled except Texture and Shader remain Maximum settings )
launch option :
-novid
-nojoy
-language japanese
-high
-tickrate 128
-nod3d9ex
-dxlevel 80
+fps_max 0
-freq 60
-threads 4
+cl_forcepreload 1

in 64 player situation never get lower than 30 fps ( average fps got 40 ~ 70 fps ) even i turned off the !stopsound ( turning off stopsound make your game lagging / loss i think ). ( on Competitive most of the map got 100 ~ 160 fps )

and also try with Maximum settings ( except V-sync ofc ) still never get lower than 30fps ( but the average fps goes down to 35 ~ 60 fps ) even turned off the !stopsound. this only happened when i'm defend position, doorhug could be diffirent story. ( on Competitive got 80 ~ 130 fps )

Most of those "more fps" commands are obsolete now. Best to just use default, as Valve themselves have stated this.

-high (not needed)

-tickrate 128 (not needed)

-nod3d9ex (debatable. Good if you alt-tab a lot)

-dxlevel 80 (Interesting you have to use that, keep that I guess)

+fps_max 0 (fps_max 999 is better apparently, but debatable. Also having unlocked framerate on a laptop will increase heat output a lot. Try 120 or something)

-freq 60 (not needed)

-threads 4 (not needed)

+cl_forcepreload 1 (only needed if you have game on a slow HDD)

Looking around, you should be getting 110-150 fps at Ultra Settings at 1080p.

8 hours ago, Neiva said:

-tickrate 128 (not needed)

its for setting local server tickrate so it is if you need a 128 tick offline server

8 hours ago, Neiva said:

fps_max 999 is better apparently, but debatable

Lower fps_max = faster loading times

4 hours ago, Malal said:

its for setting local server tickrate so it is if you need a 128 tick offline server

Lower fps_max = faster loading times

Yeah but what do you need 128tick servers for, unless you're offlining something ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Yeah, definitely have a lower fps_max for laptops too. There's a debate between fps_max 0 and fps_max 999.

2 hours ago, Neiva said:

Yeah but what do you need 128tick servers for, unless you're offlining something ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

For grenade line ups because cs:go is shit

most ze servers are 64 tick anyways so its pointless for laserfagging

2 hours ago, Neiva said:

There's a debate between fps_max 0 and fps_max 999.

theres nothing to debate

the best monitor wont benefit from 1000+ fps

you dont need more fps than that and fps_max 0 (any high fps_max value will but 0 the most) will cause loading times to be longer, its better to cap your fps at around 300-500 depending on your setup regardless for loading times as i mentioned