eueuq

The Director Dilemma

7 hours ago, eueuq said:

Lack of transparency with said community

but but but i can look at the logs of all purchases that is very transparent

6 hours ago, Rick said:

Tl;dr - read what i've said, sorry kiddos

okay nevermind a director is making me actually read this is not transparent this is very opaque :lenny:

VIOLATORSAIDSO.png

thanks @Violator

I wouldn't label this toxic, just pedantic, redundant, repetitive, etc. but more importantly, tiresome.

This feels like another appeal to the lowest common denominator sense of frustration.

7 hours ago, eueuq said:

While I have proposed several solutions in regards to individual Directors and the rank itself, I think the best solution is for a complete overhaul of the team itself meaning all Directors (aside from Ben since he just got it and he is the best one) would be removed and replaced with fresh blood who actually want to improve the community. This could go as far as to include Roy since I am not a fan of his attitude towards the community and his way of dealing with situations as of recently. None of these replacements would be people who have been Directors before (nothing directly against past Directors, just better to see new faces). I do not care at all who these people are as long as they are willing to solve all the problems mentioned above. It has got so bad that a radical idea such as this one needs to even be brought up.

As I understand the situation, GFL is struggling to find competent and motivated people to fill server manager slots. What makes you think there is any number of viable director candidates, let alone ones that haven't held the position before. This part screams naivety frankly.

I don't see any major flaws in the working of the current directors, aside from apparently a continuous failure to manage expectations.

please do something about the shitposts in this thread

44 minutes ago, juky said:

As I understand the situation, GFL is struggling to find competent and motivated people to fill server manager slots

Not only this but division leaders as well, with butterking and Violator gone from gmod Zebra is the only division leader left for gmod. Also CSGO, which (this has been stated before), only has Roy as a division leader.

banner_560x95.png?random=612065

banner_560x95.png?random=951309

1 hour ago, juky said:

As I understand the situation, GFL is struggling to find competent and motivated people to fill server manager slots. What makes you think there is any number of viable director candidates, let alone ones that haven't held the position before. This part screams naivety frankly.

I have already proposed solutions to make both Director and Manager more accessible ranks and would increase our options when selecting candidates.

27 minutes ago, Zer0 said:

Not only this but division leaders as well, with butterking and Violator gone from gmod Zebra is the only division leader left for gmod. Also CSGO, which (this has been stated before), only has Roy as a division leader.

Complain to our Directors for not choosing new DLs for as long as they have. Plenty of candidates have shown up with "potential".

Discord_qoN8aT2ZDX.png.f28687352471a3aed92f034cf759e7d1.png

9 minutes ago, eueuq said:

Complain to our Directors for not choosing new DLs for as long as they have. Plenty of candidates have shown up with "potential". 

:benthinking:

banner_560x95.png?random=612065

banner_560x95.png?random=951309

Posted  Edited by k2nod

GFL is getting better. Look 4 month ago I literally thought GFL was dying, now the CSGO division is on fire, Rust is doing pretty good too and we are getting more and more players. So tbh I can just say that we are moving forward and this is just making more drama and taking us back 4 months ago.

PS: 

12 hours ago, Rick said:

and Xy is Xy

:omegalul:

Edited by k2nod

(Private: k2nod) Russell Crowe: are you using hyperscrolll

Achievements

6 hours ago, Zer0 said:

Removing Vio was a big mistake.

2 hours ago, k2nod said:

GFL is getting better. Look 4 month ago I literally thought GFL was dying, now the CSGO division is on fire, Rust is doing pretty good too and we are getting more and more players. So tbh I can just say that we are moving forward and this is just making more drama and taking us back 4 months ago.

PS: 

Meh, CSGO only did well because of VirusKing.

Achievements

2 hours ago, k2nod said:

PS: 

This is quite something to note too. January is getting back into the grind of school for most people. I know a huge part of this resurgence was caused by Virusking and CSGO going F2P, but there's definitely a momentum that can be held. 

I will say though that I disagree with a lot of people in this thread, somewhat. I think we all discount the "community" aspect of things a bit too much. Like, I know most players only care for their servers, but I still think that it's worth focusing on trying to rebuild a sense of community between servers and divisions. At one point in time, the forums were bustling and people interacted more but now they're pretty dead.

Now, there's nothing wrong with people sticking to their servers if they want to, but that doesn't mean we should only focus on the servers. If it's not negatively affecting the servers then there's no real point in not focusing on the community. Like, if I wasn't working on PR stuff then I'd just leave GFL in peace like last time and let it be since I have no time or interest in playing on the servers. I stopped caring about actually playing a long time ago. I only played so others could have fun in peace. 

So even though I haven't played on the servers frequently in a few years (I come on every once in a blue moon), I can still be useful to the community even if people don't see it that way. That is to say, even old members who don't play that often can still be useful in the community. Just on a non-server level. 

As I've said before, I like to think of GFL as a community of servers and not just as a collection of servers. It's not for everyone, but everyone who is here shitposting or seriously replying is someone who is a part of the community of GFL. Not just the servers. Otherwise you wouldn't bother checking the forums or having an administrative role. I also think that it definitely is the part of GFL that causes the most drama since people tend to take it too far so we should always be aware of how meaningless ranks are like Trusted.

Anyway, the whole point of my rant is that I think we shouldn't solely focus on the servers. Server people should. People who don't have the time or capacity to help server-side can and should still help community-side if they want to. 

Also, I have a lot of free time but it's still hard to balance life with GFL work. No one's getting paid for any of it so I understand why the directors don't interact with the community directly. They'd have literally no time left. Sure they can do it every once in a while, but it's kind of ridiculous to expect them to be like admins. It's also worth noting that almost all of the directors (if not all) are college aged or older. It takes a long time to get to that role and it takes a lot of maturity too. If you think they're immature then I don't see how you could possibly expect removing them for "fresh blood" would be any better. Theoretically, if there was any better they'd already be a director or close to the rank. I'd rather take inactive directors over hotheaded ones. They wield a lot of power and that's not something to be taken lightly. Furthermore, I'd rather take snail pace progress compared to swift and rushed actions like the cutting of council. A good idea but very poorly executed. So while I'm not happy with the activity of the directors myself, I don't expect too much from them. Life is hard. Anyone who has the free time to be a super active director is probably still in their early teens and not mature enough for the role.

People have work. People have families. People have partners. People have school. It's a miracle we even have any directors if I'm being honest. I ask them to do shit for me pretty much every few hours a day and I always feel guilty about it since I know they're busy. 

Anyway, it's a lose-lose. You get inactive directors who are mature/old enough to hold the job or you have active directors who are probably too young to be wielding such a role responsibly. Hell, we can barely get enough DLs and managers. It's no wonder that Directors is a burn-out machine. 

Also, it's 3:00 a.m. so this might not be my most coherent writing. I'll correct the dumb thoughts tomorrow so they make more sense. :omegalul:

Also, #CommunityOfServers

"Be good people"

@Major_Push

Your description of the GFL community is more or less what I had in mind and described myself elsewhere on this thread. I am glad someone sees it from that perspective as well.

As I said, I proposed ways to make Director a more accessible rank including reducing the amount of responsibilities they have. Since I have no reason not to, I will just share it here. Long story short, I want Directors to do less work, not more as the more work they do, the more bad decisions are made. Their outside lives should have little to no impact on their ability to do their tasks in this arrangement. It distributes the work load more. If this magically gets pushed by Directors and enforced the way I have in mind, then my idea of removing all the Directors will not be necessary. They would actually be doing what their role implies rather than being an all-doing oligopoly burdened with responsibility.

Discord_qoN8aT2ZDX.png.f28687352471a3aed92f034cf759e7d1.png

Posted  Edited by rapperdan

@eueuq @Major_Push I don't understand how people can actively say the shit you say but work against it completely also about that whole hot headed remark I would rather have some who is capable and is confident in themselves then actively seeking to dismantle anyone who is simply better at the job if it was up to me I would of hidden and locked this whole thread ages ago and to answer you on why some people may be active it's because they are forced to due to the endless nonstop damages and counter progressive actions people take who don't have a damn clue about the community and you are right pull it should be ok to focus on the bigger picture but gfl has proven to forget what matters the most and it's simply allowing people to enjoy themselves I'm stuck posting here because ik gfl has a stupid habit of completely destroying it's self and all I want is to ensure csgo stays the way I left it.

what you must ask yourselves is why do servers themselves do better without people in gfl who are in internal touching things it's so simple and it's because they don't know what they may be touching it does not work because when you touch or disturb even the smallest thing you risk a whole server crumbling and this has been proven time and time again your emotions have clouded judgement and you don't know what you may be doing and that is the sad truth.

Edited by rapperdan

Achievements

• Guest locked this topic