Baby

Travelling Experiences

I love travelling, so this came to mind. When travelling you come across fun times and some bad ones. I've heard some interesting things from people on this topic. I want to hear what has happened to you guys while travelling. Whether it be your worst experience or your best. Maybe even both. Whether it be a 2 hour drive somewhere or a plane ticket to another country. I want to hear about it if you're willing to share! :P

This isn't really a good story, but eh, So me and my family where heading down to new Orleans for vacation, and were about 1 hour away from our destination, I'm sitting in the front while my Father is driving, and he has his music on, and then a strange song comes on, I liked the beat, and the lyrics were funny to me. The song that was played was called "Boogie woogie wu" from the The great Milenko album made by Icp (Insane Clown Posse) and ever since then I've loved their music

I was in Egypt during the uprising against Mubarak in 2011. Understandably, everyone was on edge due to the unnerving atmosphere.

There was an abandoned construction site that I often passed in transit to the main areas in town. The road next to this construction site was littered with its remnants, such as discarded tools and jagged pieces of metal. I avoided crossing this road when possible to avoid the hassles associated with such debris.

What happened at this road one particular day is one that I'll likely never forget. I was walking by the construction site with my mother and her ex when a cargo truck was slowly passing by us. I looked at the truck with especial curiosity since I rarely saw any vehicles use this road. As I did so, a man in the passenger seat poked his head out of the window to look at me (presumably because I don't look like an Egyptian). A second after, I heard an explosion and I was struck in the belly and knees by small flying objects. The force of the impact combined with the instinct to duck for cover made me drop to the ground instantly. My mother let loose a scream with more vexed vigour than I previously anticipated from a human being. I shielded my face and looked around to try and figure out what was going on. A man came sprinting towards us from a nearby road with his firearm at the ready. Egyptians usually have fairly dark skin, but this man carried a deathly pale visage which was wrought with worry from the explosion and screaming. I got up as he approached and he alternated between Arabic and English as he asked us what was going on.

At the time, I thought that I was caught in a hostile attack. Luckily, this wasn't the case. What really happened was that the truck's tire exploded. My mother's ex and I were left with various bruises, but perhaps the true reason to thank my lucky stars is that the fragments from the tire didn't strike any vital areas; I was struck in the knee and belly whilst my mother's ex was struck in the arm, chest and face. A stray fragment to the eyes, neck or teeth would definitely not be advantageous for our health. My mother said that she thought I had been killed at the time, but now it's just something that we can look back on and joke about.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

• 2 months later...

I live in Michigan, so we occasionally go out of state for vacation. Whenever my family and I go to Florida, SOMETHING goes wrong.  The first time we visited Florida, back in 2009 for New Years, we were supposed to stay at this super nice hotel. We were there for Universal Studios, the most baller place on earth. Well somewhere along the way, due to overbooking, they downgraded us into the motel next door. During our stay in said motel, we got locked out of our room twice, and the toilet broke.

Another time, in 2010, we traveled to Miami, for we were going on a cruise. After waiting a couple of hours for them to find our room, we relaxed for the rest of the day. That night, however, the inside handle of our door somehow fell off, so we had to move all of our stuff to a new room. After that, fun times were had.

JUST KIDDING LULZ. Towards the end of our cruise, we stopped in Key West. Well we got off, traveled around for awhile, then grabbed some cookies, and headed back. Well according to security, we couldn't bring my cookie(Mine was the only one unfinished) on-board. So I had to eat a salty, melted cookie in the heat(I was crying at the time, that's why it was salty.... shut up I was 10). Well... after that fiasco, the rest of the trip went smoothly.

ANOTHER time, in 2014 for New Years,(Second to last) my family and I took a whole 24 hours to drive down to Florida (No stopping at a hotel). We were there again for Universal Studios, and to visit the grandparents. When we arrived at our hotel, we were a couple hours early, no big deal right? Well after those couple of hours, again due to overbooking, they had to outsource us to a DIFFERENT hotel, which basically saying we got downgraded again. 

LASTLY, last January, my family (This time just the parents and myself, siblings were busy) went back to Miami for another cruise. Cruise was fun, had a blast. DURING our stay in Miami, wasn't so fun. It rained most of the time we were there, the traffic was 2 OP for me, and they moved us rooms in the hotel to a 1 bed, so I had to sleep on a blow-up mattress.

So yeah.... my visits to Florida have been somewhat... unpleasant...

Cringe

I think I was 5 years old, I went to jamaica with my mum and dad.

We were on a cruise down the black river when all of  a sudden I saw a shadow in the water. It turns out it was a crocodile and it wasn't a very friendly one.

Now keep in mind, that this cruise ship was a very small one with an open back so that people can dive into the river or whatever to relax if the cruise stops at some point or whatever.

So there I am, at the back of the ship, witnessing a crocodile crawl onto the rear platform right infront of my eyes, screaming with every step it takes.

It only took my mum 10 minutes to realise that the back of the boat was being mutilatied by an angry crocodile so some staff bloke got a long stick and prodded it until it let go and swam back into the river.