Roy

[Server Bug] Memory Leak

Hello,

This thread is being created for tracking purposes. This thread is the first out of three threads I will be making to track individual bugs in CS:GO itself. I expect to gather the required information/evidence and submit an official bug report to Valve once confirmed it's something with CS:GO itself and not our server's setup.

The Issue

Ever since the CS:GO DZ update came out in December, all of our CS:GO servers have been suffering from a memory leak. After 3 - 5 days, our servers crash due to being out of RAM. The server hits the 3.3 - 4.0 GBs memory usage range and crashes. This is expected since SRCDS is 32-bit (only supports up to 4 GBs of RAM).

Here's a graph of our memory & CPU usage from our CS:GO ZE server over the last year:

1033-09-24-2019-0UcLIiGG.png

This happens on both Windows (CS:GO ZE is Windows) and Linux (all the rest of our CS:GO servers are Linux). I wasn't able to find any threads online about this issue.

What's Next?

The next thing to do is to confirm this happens on a server without SourceMod and MetaMod. I will be setting up a CS:GO server on my home machine which will run on a Linux VM. I will add 10 bots (5v5) to the game and disable the server's hibernation along with prevent bots from leaving after the player leaves. After a few days, I will see if the server's memory usage is slowly climbing. I will also ensure that map changes occur.

I also plan to install software such as Grafana to constantly monitor the SRCDS process and its memory usage, etc.

Where Would I Submit Reports To?

If this is a CS:GO bug itself and not our setup, I plan to report this to Valve via email and their GitHub Linux repository for CS:GO which had success for my issues (e.g. the CS:GO Linux limitation). I also plan to write a Reddit thread as well.

I'm not sure if Valve would fix this, though.

If you're interested in helping or have any input, please post in this thread!

Thanks!