Roy

Regarding Recent Developer Applications + Developer Team

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to talk about our Developer Team. An hour or so ago I noticed there were a few Developer Applications here that went unnoticed from myself for over a month. I haven't seen these applications up until today, but I should have been paying closer attention to these. I've reviewed the pending applications and I have to say, I am quite impressed. I'm not only impressed with the recent applications, but with the Developer Team overall. In the last few months or so, we've had a lot of people with many talents and potential join/apply for the Developer Team. We also have a very solid Technical Administrator team and this is definitely the strongest our Developer/Technical teams have been in GFL's history. Unfortunately, I do think leadership is lacking in this area, though. Please read below.

I apologize for the long delays on these pending applications. This is my fault. I will be trying to reach out to the individuals who have applied personally to see if they're still interested. I've also noticed some individuals who appear to have a lot of potential/talent from posts I've seen, but haven't applied. I'll be reaching out to these individuals as well to see if they would be interested in applying for the Developer Team.

With that said, I will be talking to our Technical Administrator team and discuss finding a new Developer Team leader as I feel the current team is too busy to manage the Developer Team (this is understandable given the workload). I will be working closely with the new leader to find out ways we can get our Developer Team closer together and communicating with each other more often. I feel we can all learn things from each other and given I'm currently trying to learn C and so on to create network-level software, I'm sure I would benefit from talking to some others on the Developer Team who have more experience than myself in these areas. I hope I can help others as well. We'll also be discussing what incentives we can provide Developers who write code for GFL or helps others.

There are also many projects we have to work on that requires a talented developer and some are pretty complex. I will work to organize a list so we can assign developers to these specific projects.

If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out!

Thank you for your time.

Posted  Edited by Joshy · Hidden
Hidden

I've been very impressed with the applications too and have had the pleasure to chat with some of them.  I'm in a complete awe when I think about their potential.  We could be talking with drivers and leaders of our next generation technology, and yet we're here on a gaming community.  Glad to see this acknowledgement because I have heard some concerns- this could be good enough recovery.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Coven · Hidden
Hidden

Sweet now we can have Tf2 Dodgeball 

But for real, Glad to see more people in the GFL community who knows how to code 

Edited by Coven

Achievements

Hidden

I am open to helping the team to keep the ball rolling. I can care less if I get some official "Team Leader" title lol. As it stands, I have recently gotten a lot of free time on my hands. Free time that I can't spend on what I actually WANT to do (which is programming). So most of my days are just nothing but trying really hard to occupy myself.

With this being said, I have the time. It would give me something to actually *work* on, something I've lacked here lately (and it's driving me up a wall). This may not mean I'm always gonna be available 24/7 of course, but I'm gonna be open for a while.

I know this is gonna be a decision that takes time to make, Roy. So if you ever need to contact me, you can. I just want to let you know I am open for that position. But even if I don't get the position, I'm still here to help out if needbe.

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

Hidden

A little motivation or something I placed in a thread elsewhere (here).  It's for a different "title", but the concept can really map to anything even outside of GFL.

On 4/13/2018 at 6:31 PM, Joshy said:

I have an additional suggestion if you haven't started your projects yet: Have the candidates facilitate a team in their project.  They're of more value to you if they can drive the team, delegate tasks, and mitigate or recover from failure.  I've seen a lot of very talented employees become terrible leaders where they'd be the only one on the team who could do anything; I've also seen the converse such that someone who wasn't really that great support a strong team.  A stronger team typically boosts each member within the team regardless of their title, and so maybe the team members would make great candidates for future roles too (cycle of leadership).

I think this'll really combat one of the issues with the Council positions: It has become more of a reward and title for the individual rather than a resource for the community.  Of course: The benefit to the individual should it be a resourceful position is they get to create the community they've always wanted and more easily realize their goals; they certainly have more swing on topics and can make it happen.  It's not to suggest that you cannot do it without the title and permissions, but you'll really want to amplify something you can work with (something they've already got - something good).

One question I've got for the candidates who are applying... and you don't need to answer me... it's something for you to ask and answer to yourself: What have I done?  Am I applying because I want to step up?  Why didn't I step up before?  We've seen a bunch of people "mysteriously" improve when they know they are being considered for a position.  Maybe if you don't get it this round...  would you continue?  You can get it later or find your way around.

You're on the right track about not needing a title.  I'd like to nudge you a little further and suggest something bold:  Don't wait for permission.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152