Beaker

The addition of a testing server of some sort

I and other members of the GFL TTT community have agreed that we should have some sort of a testing server. This addition of a testing server would help use find and solve problems in the server.  These problems such as the spec burn exploit could be solved with experiments. This new server would also help out the staff team improve the experience of our players. By using this testing server we can not risk the repercussions of making mistakes, because this server is a sandbox of ideas and experimentation. I hold do true testament to the wonders of a testing server because I and other players have interacted with a rotation admin by the name of Paul. By having the community actively test and the  bouncing of ideas   we wouldn't have made his Workshop project possible.  This is a  project by the name of "Bullet Bill launcher", which is a very fun TTT weapon. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1988998212  By creating this server we would have new ways to experiment in innovation. By creating this server we would have new ways to improve the quality of the server. By creating this server we would have new ways of  implementing plug-ins without any worry.                                                                                                                                                                                                       There are many options on  how the the test server should be run such as player slot numbers or server hosting. But it is up to the higher-ups to have their final say, and I do respect their opinion on the matters of creating a test server.  We could also consider the other rotation community to have their own test server if not at least  a joint run  server.  Thank you for coming to my ted talk.

I support this idea, testing Bullet Bill on a server was pretty essential to help me developing it.

Also making changes to the live server code is a recipe for disaster. Having a seperate clone of the server for devs to test bug fixes and new add ons on would be a very good step for both mc and rot.

An exact clone of the TTT server would be beneficial for testing purposes, I agree with this suggestion.

Achievements

+1 Pretty much what Paul has said already. I believe since now that some of the main coders has left the server, it would be a cool learning process to do some codes/commands (for people who are interested in coding as a whole ) on the test server instead of the real server and could maybe break the whole thing. 

When Beaker brought this idea up, I was already on board. With possible new editions of weapons/models that in the future could be added would be cool to test out before actually dropping it in the main server (obviously). 

Posted  Edited by Bae

You guys do know that the tester server for TTT works more than the actual server? Like even if you guys do have a test server for TTT, and you test it on there and it works. Then you try to implement it on the main server, it usually won't work. Instead it breaks the server, you can confirm this with @MilkMan. That's why milk removed a lot of things, originally he did test them in the test server, it did work. But when he adds those things to the main server, it just went retarded. It's also the main reason why we only use one Minecraft map. 

Nonetheless, we do have a test server, technically all servers have one or did have one. This TTT, of course, have one but it's on a different machine so it'll work on there than this one. They don't make the old machine anymore, only one or few servers are still running on the old machine but the rest of them are on the new machine.

Edited by Bae

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

I've been gone a while for other interests and life and such, but I want to butt in as this is a great conversation and I think it could use some traction.

My experience getting the Halloween map together for testing and release onto GFL was bumpy. @MilkMan was a great help through so much of the process and very willing to work with me and I appreciate that so much. In our time working together the largest source of stress was getting the map onto the server and making sure it works. During that time we had a downtime of 1-2 hours troubleshooting. During this time @Zebra joined in to help us out and found that the filename for the map was too long...

If there was a testing server I wholeheartedly wish we could have used it and that it was configured as a mirror to the main server so we could have avoided the downtime and added stress. During this time I started renting a TTT server as well to test the map on before attempting to migrate it to GFL, but the problem remained that the server I rented could never be identical unless all addons, scripts, and configurations were packaged over and sent to me (what a pain that would be).

After all of that work I asked @Ben about the possibility of a test server to improve the quality of TTT Minecraft. I'm not sure if a test environment server exists or not, I believe the way I phrased my request was more aligned towards getting access to such an environment.

spacer.png

We have so many creative people in this community; having another outlet for them to share their work, receive feedback, and improve their product in a community environment would be fantastic.

I enjoy this community and would be thrilled to continue working on projects with everyone. I would feel much more at-ease with an environment we could work together and functionally test projects before moving them to production.

Posted  Edited by Toxic

Not sure if I'm really in a position to be involved in this conversation since I resigned recently, but I figured I'd give my thoughts on it.

First off, 

1 hour ago, Loke said:

I'm not sure if a test environment server exists or not, I believe the way I phrased my request was more aligned towards getting access to such an environment.

It does exist (in a way), Server Managers can request a test server from the Division Leaders/Directors for, well, testing purposes. This is because GFL's servers are ran on machines, which means that they can technically make unlimited servers, in the sense that they have enough resources for all of the servers on that machine to be able to add another server. If more servers were added than the resources are available for, it would cause issues with other servers, hence why requests must be put in for test server, yada yada yada.

I altogether agree with this idea, I think that it would be beneficial to have one of these as TTT development can be rough and cause issues, resulting in, as mentioned, server downtime and other issues. Doing this would prevent both the public from seeing updates before they are successfully added to the server and having players get errors/having the server go through downtime. In all respects, I think that the TTT Server Managers should request a test server so that the higher-ups can just allocate one on a machine that does not use many resources/has few servers on it, for the reasons stated above.

Edited by Toxic

Achievements