Roy

[9-15-16]GFL's Current State, Many Decisions, Etc...

1cfb68433feb6d45.png

Yes, I know, I use the "etc" statement far too much.

Don't hurt me, @Shuruia

I will correct the post and remove some of the useless "etc" statements.

Thanks.

Hidden
8 minutes ago, Roy said:

MOTDGD Ads On Lowest Point

We run MOTD video advertisements to help pay for GFL's expenses. The ad money actually saved GFL from cancelling multiple machines/servers a couple months ago when we were hit by a series of negative events. Back in March/April, we received around $600.00/m from these ads. However, due to these ads being on our CS:GO servers only and a majority of our CS:GO servers suffering big population loss, there has been a big decline. I doubt we're going to even hit $100.00 from ads this month (yes, we went from $600.00 to possibly below $100.00). I believe we need to start running these ads on our Garry's Mod servers as well.

Currently, our donation income is still very unstable and I don't think we can last without MOTDGD ads helping us. While we are looking into getting OVH machines in the future, I have no ETA on how long that will take. It will also take a while for us to completely move onto OVH. I will try making this a priority but with what I want to do with it (for the best chances of success), it will take a while.

We just paid $100.00 for a TeamSpeak 3 license (annually) and that certainly doesn't help us battling our ridiculous NFO expenses. 

I support this idea, and would suggest seeing about possibly expanding the ads into other games, such as TF2 or PVK2, if possible. Other than that, sounds like you have a good game plan set.

GIF.gif

37c6a160ff76e7ef7db4db7df0d50dc3.png

9d668bb6162aaa048432fe2935d30458.png

129ef22cb8471b6c808a1ce582f493aa.png

7f018283383ed2d1d0bd4cafeb1e87ac.png

bce96f456cff8113e7d9e5c2c6f65fff.png

v1.png

Hidden
4 minutes ago, Roy said:

1cfb68433feb6d45.png

Yes, I know, I use the "etc" statement far too much.

Don't hurt me, @Shuruia

I will correct the post and remove some of the useless "etc" statements.

Thanks.

You shouldn't do that, although, if you're going to do that, you could consider the word "however"

1 minute ago, PB-n-J said:

support this idea, and would suggest seeing about possibly expanding the ads into other games, such as TF2 or PVK2, if possible.

That's not going to happen on TF2. Using ADs in community server is frown upon by players. If we add it in, we'll lose some regulars on Combat Surf.

Idea: Take away ad-free from members and start selling them as perk for Supporter and VIP. That way, we might get more donators. 

76561198043643390.png

Hidden

I think the major problem is the GMOD division, its a big division with a lot of admins and we only have 1 division leader (we used to have 4 in one point), we have admins trash talking each other (although the worst passed I think) and we have servers fading away. 

14 minutes ago, Benroyjam said:

You shouldn't do that, although, if you're going to do that, you could consider the word "however"

That's not going to happen on TF2. Using ADs in community server is frown upon by players. If we add it in, we'll lose some regulars on Combat Surf.

Idea: Take away ad-free from members and start selling them as perk for Supporter and VIP. That way, we might get more donators. 

or it could make us lose even more population, its a risky move in my opinion.

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

Hidden
5 minutes ago, TheKingOfPyros said:

I think the major problem is the GMOD division, its a big division with a lot of admins and we only have 1 division leader (we used to have 4 in one point), we have admins trash talking each other (although the worst passed I think) and we have servers fading away. 

or it could make us lose even more population, its a risky move in my opinion.

Man, put your signature under a spoiler. It's way too big.

Anyway, regarding ads, we should definitely encourage people to use the !ads command when there's a period of not doing anything on the map/gamemode. *cough* ZE admins *cough*

"Be good people"

Hidden

I can reassure that we're in the process of getting more higher ups, but Roy's point is that he wants admins to step up to higher positions. We lack people who are willing to step up. If you want to step up, please let us know by doing all the actions Roy stated above.

As for problems for the community, you can ask me or  other higher ups. I've been taking recent complaints to higher ups so feel free to tell me anything you dislike.  As Roy said, the BoD are discussing these problems and I'm willing to bring more up any new ones. It's nice to see that we're going to drastically improve :D

76561198088916523.png

Hidden
9 minutes ago, Major_Push said:

Anyway, regarding ads, we should definitely encourage people to use the !ads command when there's a period of not doing anything on the map/gamemode. *cough* ZE admins *cough*

Nice callout, there. :lenny:

But in all seriousness, this has given me something of an idea I want to discuss with Delta later.

23 minutes ago, Benroyjam said:

The same could potentially be said for GO, and yet we still have ads. I want GFL to succeed, same as most anyone else. If ads are specifically deflected from TF2, then it is what it is. At least, could still push for ads on GMoD and possibly request admins go each round with typing in ads. (Please note: I did say request.)

The only hesitation I would have about Roy's suggestion for improving yourself is the suggestion for installing a test server, more so is the question on if it costs money to install one. If it does, then it limits quite a few individuals out there, though this is really dependent on cost.

Nice update though. Thanks for keeping everyone informed!

GIF.gif

37c6a160ff76e7ef7db4db7df0d50dc3.png

9d668bb6162aaa048432fe2935d30458.png

129ef22cb8471b6c808a1ce582f493aa.png

7f018283383ed2d1d0bd4cafeb1e87ac.png

bce96f456cff8113e7d9e5c2c6f65fff.png

v1.png

Hidden
1 minute ago, PB-n-J said:

The only hesitation I would have about Roy's suggestion for improving yourself is the suggestion for installing a test server, more so is the question on if it costs money to install one. If it does, then it limits quite a few individuals out there, though this is really dependent on cost.

It is completely free. There's also a tutorial on how to do it: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers

Snow Owl.jpg

Achievements

Hidden
56 minutes ago, Roy said:

Expand into non-serious RP and other game modes such as DeathRun with a new approach (these type of game modes ARE our strengths!

If we end up expanding into Prop Hunt again, I'd love to help out or even manage. Naturally, with no experience (which I believe I needed to say right off the bat) I can and will watch the Manager training videos. I'm pumped to help out and I'll do anything necessary.

Aspiring OWL Player

Official Fat Cunt of GFL

• Former GFL Council Member
  • Former Deathrun Server Manager
  • Former Murder Server Manager (2x)
  • Former Forum/Discord/TS Moderator
  • Former Member Acceptor
  • Former Prop Hunt Admin
  • Former Breach Admin
  • Former Ragdoll Combat Admin
  • Former Hide and Seek Admin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

76561198080414294.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ad0d7752f3af933e823242707f002882.png

7ca15ba2adfc1cca1bbdd1b0e2899323.png

8a1fc7db81c9f9c55efeb06616369387.png

a23834bee8bd262ab85ddc004d8a52d4.png

37c2106e984c072a98986b80abc62302.png

ac8e16c80959c1400d7f78eb08d82b9a.png

d987b48e16877f03d3f4bd471f7a167d.png

7c3ddae8149571527b4fd382077c386b.png

addedjittogroupgay.png.b9cd0e35765a9eb4289086eb110830ed.png

crusty.PNG.ff0ad7f19b0b472ee3cf36cffd1138a4.PNG

eatcakeandcry.PNG.c3e7a72409b2c1a1bca7a659d6b0d5c5.PNG

fuckijustnutted.png.288a102240b0b61679c2a06089a8b4fb.png

quesadillaorriot.PNG.694be1708aeccc1771da16873fb0705b.PNG

Hidden
21 minutes ago, Dano said:

It is completely free. There's also a tutorial on how to do it: https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Counter-Strike:_Global_Offensive_Dedicated_Servers

do you know if it is the same to gmod?

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png

Posted  Edited by Nubz · Hidden
Hidden
5 minutes ago, TheKingOfPyros said:

do you know if it is the same to gmod?

Here is the GMOD wiki's link for it

https://wiki.garrysmod.com/page/Hosting_A_Dedicated_Server

Or, a YouTube video, if you prefer that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-1c0NQtBIE

Edited by Nubz

sig.jpg

Ex-GMOD Jailbreak Admin 

Ex-GMOD Jailbreak Server Manager.

Ex-Rust Admin

#MakeGMODGreatAgain

Posted  Edited by HackingPotato · Hidden
Hidden

I was about to link the same thing nubz just posted lmao. 

1 hour ago, Roy said:

"How do I prove myself?"

• Act mature/professional.
  • Get along with people. Don't start useless fights on the forum with other members.
  • Take it upon yourself and learn a bit about managing servers (e.g. install a test server). I made a series of videos here for training.
  • Help members on the forum and in-game out.
  • Recruit as many players in-game to the forums and TeamSpeak 3 as possible.
  • Generally spread GFL's name around.
  • Give ideas on future expansions or on how to improve our current servers.
  • Stay active on the forum unless you have a valid excuse on why you can't (you'll be surprised at how many admins I plan on removing due to two+ months of inactivity without notice).

I like this list. Everyone should be aware tho, that it is ok to have debates in the threads but when it gets over board you should take it to PM or a voice chat and try to find a middle ground. Thats how we move forward as a community, much like what me and violator did when he had a 'disagreement'. 

Anyway, very nice thread. I look forward to seeing the changes and progression. I think we have been making some half decent decisions recently and although we are moving slowly, it looks like it is in a good direction. Also @Roy, you shouldn't been afraid of taking risks when promoting people(unless it is a trust risk). If the risks are performance and knowledge I think it would be more beneficial to try them then to not. You never know what could happen. 

Edited by HackingPotato

Image result for roo emotes

Achievements

Hidden

Nice little update about our status.

I think GMOD is such an interesting creature as someone who plays CS:S more often.  I had always wondered why people thought this was the problem server; without a doubt, it does have problems, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a problem division.  While I was working in retail I had two sets of associates in the returns department: A) the associates who helped with any kind of return including televisions, laptops, desktops, electronic components such as system boards and other hardware (basically everything), and B) associates who took back the most complete and easy returns such as a toy.  Obviously, type A associates were the ones that I wanted to keep the most; however, when I'd return from vacation or days off, other managers would write up and even terminate my type A associates, and my team would only have the remaining type B associates.  In the long haul, I could hardly get people with type A characteristics to join my team even if I had offered them the highest pay (I'm not even kidding that I offered them more pay than supervisors in all other departments), and I had a difficult time getting rid of the type B associates.  Some type A associates would eventually become type B associates.  Why did this happen?  It's because type A associates did a lot more and would make mistakes more often; type B associates did hardly anything, so they would never make any mistakes... it's difficult to get rid of someone if nobody makes mistakes, but the converse is true too.

With that story in mind... lets take a look at two servers I have been playing the most more recently:

My favourite CS:S Surf RPG DM

CTAUkIE.png

GMOD TTT (still awesome IMO)

UgixJ3L.png

Based on numbers or looking at the activity, and of course the number of complaints on the forums, I think it's natural for someone to quickly call out the GMOD TTT server...  "it's a problem server", but I'm honestly more worried about CS:S Surf RPG DM.  While we have the highest ranked CS:S Surf RPG DM server (gametracker), I worry about that server because we have very few players, a small team, and admittedly no incentives for players to donate or become a VIP; GMOD hardly has this problem by comparison.  So when people say we need to fix GMOD - I'm not denying that there are problems - but my retail story really resonates with me and I think we need to redirect our concerns.  CS:S players "have nothing" to complain about, but that's because we almost have and do nothing.

A great example of the income side problem is the advertisement.  I know it has become a necessary evil, but if we were more aggressive with our incentives (and especially now as we don't offer permanent VIP anymore), then we would have enough income to eventually skip it all or dampen it.  Without that incentive, we impose the advertisements; when we impose the advertisement, then current players begin to seek other servers or communities that do not have advertisement.  We're basically digging our own grave slowly and we are using a system that is not sustainable although it is working for now...  we'll be screwed if that nail in the coffin arises such as a bad attack or problem with untrustworthy leadership.

While it may seem risky, I definitely think more leadership members, access to resources, and aggressively pushing for incentives will help our community a load.  I think the slow time such as the school year is a great time to be taking risks (I'm talking small risks just as @HackingPotato meant too), then we can tune these updates as we better understand how they affect us or people will master them by the time our activity improves.  I've made a few proposals and definitely support ideas regarding multi-disciplinary leadership where Server Admins can work with each other on other servers to a certain degree beyond talking on the forums, and opening up about the community and our goals to improve community relations (I think the eSports stuff is a great example [SM+]).  Another set of resources aside from informational/opening up is possibly train leadership members for the next position before they even have it or apply.  I think it would be a great idea to get Server Admins stoked for other positions- even if they stayed as a Server Admin for their entire GFL career, I'd really like for Server Admins to think more like SMs, CAs, DLs, and BoD leaders; when positions open up, then the hard part would be selecting one not because everyone has a weakness, but because there would be too many great candidates to choose from ;) . 

I think we focus a lot on the technical side, and quite honestly, if we wait for someone to come here who already knows it all, then it's going to take us forever.  We're better off taking someone with the right attitude and philosophies, with ideas, and letting them learn on the job or training them to our best ability (again, @HackingPotato already mentioned this).  I think there will always be people who complain about the mistakes, which would happen if we did this, but the majority of people would rather see us try and make a mistake here and there compared to doing nothing while we wait for this awesome person to arrive.

This post isn't a complaint- I think we have a lot of great things in discussion and I think we're going to do great as we continue moving forward.  I'm really stoked about all of it!  Sorry for dabbling too much and it's not clear to me how bad my grammar is, but this post is getting too long even for me, lol!  Thanks for reading if you made it through!

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Hidden
3 hours ago, PB-n-J said:

I support this idea, and would suggest seeing about possibly expanding the ads into other games, such as TF2 or PVK2, if possible. Other than that, sounds like you have a good game plan set.

TF2 will not bring in any money and in fact it'll most likely harm GFL more then benefit it by killing off whatever little activity we've been able to muster recently.

11f4263ab6c30a3489f8db3145340861.png

So everyone is listing their former stuff so I'll just be cool and list mine :3

Former @HackingPotato's White Knight and Boss Former Director Former TF2 Division Leader Former Community Advisor Former TF2 Technical Administrator Former TF2 Server Manager Former TF2 Trial Manager Former TF2 Admin Former TF2 Revivalist Former TF2 Player Former TF2 God Former Media Leaderish Former somewhat Media team person Former VIP Former Supporter Former Member Former TF2 Player Former Player

Hidden

I would like to mention, not all the csgo servers have the MOTDADS still. At least the few I played on. At least the US ZM was never set back up after I resetted it awhile back. Sidenote: I have been laid back on trying to run US ZM while EU ZM takes priority since it is more populated at times. This is a sad excuse for me. I had done better when I first took it over. We all make mistakes, we just need to learn from them and try to push making the communities within our servers better while trying to promote GFL.

I like everyone's point of views on things. But my concern is pretty much like @Joshy's comment about type A and type B people. I have been working in retail for almost a year now. My time on here has been affected due to it. Anyways what I am trying to say is we should really be looking for the hardworking admins and asking them if they are willing to at least learn how to run a server. I know it is not easy as it sounds, but even with help nominating admins via other admins would be a nice way to get that system going.

swegbuster1.png

Hidden

in my opinion, if possible, we should have a few adds on the forum, that way regular players who doesnt play CSGO and doenst have spare money to donate, can help the community, and by add Im not talking about the ones that cover the whole screen, more like a small banner above ChatBox, but it can also make us lose a few forum users, and it coud be also good to add adds to in big servers in Gmod such as TTT and Purge, but making that Member+ get almost no add and Supporters+ get no add at all, could be a way to get more donations, or it could kill the server

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png