Rcool64

Guide to accepting Member Applications

1 hour ago, TheKingOfPyros said:

I have a few questions

1-If someone is a VIP should I accept or let a higher up take care?

2-If someone has 10+ bans, should I insta-deny or ask if they will promise to follow the rules?

1. Accept. Only admin and above should not be accepted by regulars instead tag a higher up like myself or any of DLs and BoD members.

2. Depends on what the bans were for. Just ask a DL at this point. 

Are we going to be strict about VAC bans?  Not everyone comes back to respond if we ask about it.

My main concern isn't so much that they'll be hacking on our servers (because we'll catch them), but the fact that they might do it on other servers and misrepresent us.  GFL use to have a negative reputation in other communities and it's because of people like this IMO...  some of these game modes are dying such as CS:S and reputation means everything because our newer members are typically people leaving other communities; however, I don't really think Member is such a prestigious rank compared to Server Admin, and he could easily become a regular here without Member and still misrepresent us if he chooses to -- Maybe it's worth a shot in accepting a person since we cannot really control the consequences of a bad person, but we have a chance of taking in a good person too (not sure if my wording makes sense here).

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

From what I recalled, someone higher up said that if that VAC ban is on Mw2 then it's okay because MW2 bans everyone for every small thing they think it's a cheat/hack. I usually denied the VAC bans that are less than 50 days but it also depends on the game and reasons. I ask Denros or Rcool about it since they're the ones controlling it pretty much.

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

• 1 month later...

What do you guys want to do with trade ban?

K9Srjk9.png

I circled his hours because with so few hours it implies he may have an alternate account with even worse stuff.

According to Steam/Valve website, the trade bans can be temporary or permanent.  Maybe we can reject while trade bans are effective and act as 3rd party observers while Steam decides on the severity of it?  If it's not so severe, then they can apply again when the time is up.

The reason we have concern is because they can join and start scamming the players.  I think a non-member person looks a lot more suspicious than someone who is registered as a member, and I would want people to be suspicious of this person if they have a trade ban.

56 minutes ago, Joshy said:

What do you guys want to do with trade ban?

K9Srjk9.png

I circled his hours because with so few hours it implies he may have an alternate account with even worse stuff.

According to Steam/Valve website, the trade bans can be temporary or permanent.  Maybe we can reject while trade bans are effective and act as 3rd party observers while Steam decides on the severity of it?  If it's not so severe, then they can apply again when the time is up.

The reason we have concern is because they can join and start scamming the players.  I think a non-member person looks a lot more suspicious than someone who is registered as a member, and I would want people to be suspicious of this person if they have a trade ban.

You are perfectly right, should be treated like a VAC. Ask what its for and then see what happens.

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, MrRabbit said:

Regarding VAC bans:

If a player has a very recent VAC ban, less that 10 days old, should I still ask about it, or just deny it?

Ask it

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png

Posted  Edited by Joshy
On 10/26/2016 at 4:27 PM, TheQueenOfDicks said:

Ask it

^ Can confirm:  Just ask.  They might have a legitimate reason and we can follow up from there.

Edited by Joshy

On 10/28/2016 at 5:59 PM, PB-n-JasonVoorhees said:

Is there a way to get a list of current member acceptors?

That could be a good idea to get a thread of everyone who can going.

Posted  Edited by MrRabbit

What do we do with "Game Bans" on players' steam profiles? I treated it like a VAC and asked them to explain, but should I just accept it?

Also, are non-member acceptors allowed to post on others' member apps?

Edited by MrRabbit

44 minutes ago, MrRabbit said:

What do we do with "Game Bans" on players' steam profiles? I treated it like a VAC and asked them to explain, but should I just accept it?

Also, are non-member acceptors allowed to post on others' member apps?

Lets see if the excuse is reasonable, and so asking is a great approach.  The whole purpose of not wanting VAC ban people here is not only because of cheating, but it also tells us a bit about the person and how they might represent us; are they going to be trouble makers here, or are they going to cheat in other communities and make GFL look like crap?  I'd say most people wont even bother replying if they're here to cause problems.  If you think they are giving a reasonably good answer or have a gut feeling, then I'd say go for it and accept them... you can also partner up with someone else for help.  You wont get in trouble if you make a bad call (it's just Membership).

We don't have a rule about non-member acceptors posting in Apps, so it should be fine so long as they aren't excessive or overdoing it.  Could be a friend or someone who has seen them and is getting the potential member stoked about our community, which is fine by me.

7 minutes ago, Joshy said:

We don't have a rule about non-member acceptors posting in Apps, so it should be fine so long as they aren't excessive or overdoing it.  Could be a friend or someone who has seen them and is getting the potential member stoked about our community, which is fine by me.

Good to know.

7 minutes ago, Joshy said:

If you think they are giving a reasonably good answer or have a gut feeling, then I'd say go for it and accept them... you can also partner up with someone else for help.  You wont get in trouble if you make a bad call (it's just Membership).

Ill probably just keep asking people with game bans less than a year old, just to get some context.

On 6/15/2016 at 3:14 PM, Rcool64 said:

UPDATE 7/18/16: We no longer take reasoning into factor for accepting member applications. From now on, do NOT delay or deny the member application if they don't have a good reason to be member. The whole point of member applications is to reward the user for showing appreciation to the community and for visiting the forums.

Is there a limit to how many bans a player has on GFL and to auto-deny that player if they exceed the amount?

Like, if they have 10+ GFL bans, should they be allowed to become a member?

4 hours ago, MrRabbit said:

Is there a limit to how many bans a player has on GFL and to auto-deny that player if they exceed the amount?

Like, if they have 10+ GFL bans, should they be allowed to become a member?

Depends, if they got all bans from over a year I would accept 

76561198048327544.png

@Ash-'s opinion on gmod: 

4smalUvk.png
image.png.c3ced03940ca3f9bff0b8c6b1b425d4f.png