Roy

Recent Performance Issues - Created A Fix For One!

Just an update, I setup a test CS:S server on the new machine under our Anycast network. The server got to 32/32 last night (a completely stock server) and the TC BPF program was performing very well. All packets were being sent back to the client directly and I saw no performance issues on the game server. No packet loss and latency was good.

We will be moving some servers from GS10 to this machine today since GS10 is suffering from hardware failures most likely.

Everything is looking good 😄

Thank you!

Hidden

First of all, you don't get enough appreciation for the amount of painful work this stuff takes. And the fact that you even spent the time to make this post is really big to me, and I admire it. Anytime I deal with hours of headache trying to fix a problem the first thing I want to do is spend 2 days playing Tetris. So really, thank you for the hard work miboi.

This networking stuff is interesting but boi is it complicated. I think I'm better suited as a software/game dev hahaha

I write programs and stuff.

If you need to contact me, here is my discord tag: Dustin#6688

I am a busy person. So responses may be delayed.

1840045955_Thicco(1).thumb.png.87c04f05633286f3b45b381b4acc4602.png

Posted  Edited by VilhjalmrF · Hidden
Hidden
1 hour ago, Roy said:

Just an update, I setup a test CS:S server on the new machine under our Anycast network. The server got to 32/32 last night (a completely stock server) and the TC BPF program was performing very well. All packets were being sent back to the client directly and I saw no performance issues on the game server. No packet loss and latency was good.

We will be moving some servers from GS10 to this machine today since GS10 is suffering from hardware failures most likely.

Everything is looking good 😄

Thank you!

👌

So then what will happen with GS10? Just no longer use this machine since we have our new one (feels like a dumb question to ask since GS10 is kinda shitty, just toss it in the trash)?

Edited by VilhjalmrF

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

29 minutes ago, _Rocket_ said:

First of all, you don't get enough appreciation for the amount of painful work this stuff takes. And the fact that you even spent the time to make this post is really big to me, and I admire it. Anytime I deal with hours of headache trying to fix a problem the first thing I want to do is spend 2 days playing Tetris. So really, thank you for the hard work miboi.

This networking stuff is interesting but boi is it complicated. I think I'm better suited as a software/game dev hahaha

Thank you :) That means a lot! While it does take a lot of work and I did go through a lot of headaches at first since I'm fairly new to BPF and TC, this type of programming is definitely something I have a strong interest in! Since I have a better feel of BPF, I think I'll be able to make better TC and XDP programs in the future. I've also been communicating over the BPF + XDP mailing lists and I've been learning a lot from the people there. I want to try to help @Dreae the most I can with the new packet processing software since it seems very interesting. Micro optimization will be important with these programs and that's something I'm working on (you can see a lot of the optimizations I made to my TC program by seeing the latest commits, the usage of the likely() and unlikely() functions, and using specific integer sizes). We're still planning on how we're going to do everything with the new packet processing software (e.g. are we going to use plain NAT or use IPIP packets still?), but once it's made, our Anycast network will be A LOT more efficient and we'll be able to scale our POP coverage easily since we plan to make a backbone that controls each POP server. Now finding new hosting providers and so on is another big project I'll need to do afterwards.

Thank you!

13 minutes ago, VilhjalmrF said:

👌

So then what will happen with GS10? Just no longer use this machine since we have our new one (feels like a dumb question to ask since GS10 is kinda shitty, just toss it in the trash)?

The CEO of Nexril (James) is going to be performing more tests on it once we move our servers off of it. The new machine has a weaker processor than GS10, but it's going to be acting as a temporary machine regardless. Once we can get the TC BPF program working on the NYC machines and the hosting provider removes the ACLs that are preventing us from spoofing traffic as our Anycast network, we'll probably just move all the servers to that machine once the performance issues are confirmed to be fixed. We have plenty of room on the NYC machines themselves. Also, the server IPs won't change, that's the power of owning a /24 IPv4 block and Anycast network :) 

Thanks!

Hidden
4 minutes ago, Roy said:

The CEO of Nexril (James) is going to be performing more tests on it once we move our servers off of it. The new machine has a weaker processor than GS10, but it's going to be acting as a temporary machine regardless. Once we can get the TC BPF program working on the NYC machines and the hosting provider removes the ACLs that are preventing us from spoofing traffic as our Anycast network, we'll probably just move all the servers to that machine once the performance issues are confirmed to be fixed. We have plenty of room on the NYC machines themselves. Also, the server IPs won't change, that's the power of owning a /24 IPv4 block and Anycast network :) 

Thanks!

Beautiful.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

We've moved the servers from GS10 to the new machine and the TC program is performing very well (thank you @Xy for assisting with the server moves)! The bandwidth usage on the Dallas POP has already went down since outbound traffic isn't being sent through the POP server anymore (excluding A2S_INFO responses):

2364-04-04-2020-aKoVKn1o.png

With that said, it turns out our NYC hosting provider has removed the ACL rules that prevented us from sending traffic as our Anycast network. I tested this with a C program I made that spoofs the source address and I was able to send out as our Anycast network successfully. Therefore, the only thing we need to do is upgrade the kernel and run the TC program. I will be planning maintenance for this probably in the next couple of days after talking to @dagreek.

As for our Dallas machines, we will be doing the same thing. I will be looking to do this in the next few days.

Thank you!

Our NYC machines are now running the program successfully. I haven't seen any packet loss since enabling it!

Unfortunately, upgrading the last two machines in Dallas will be painful. Therefore, I am going to measure performance on our NYC machines and if things go well, we can start moving servers from those Dallas machines to our NYC machines since we have a lot of room in NYC.

Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I upgraded GS08 and GS09 today and started running the TC BPF program. Everything is running smoothly so far.

Thank you!

Hidden

Nice!

Token             

-Former Nerd-