Ash

The CS:GO Source Code Leak and You

Good morning/afternoon/evening/etc.

As you may be aware, a source code leak for TF2 and CS:GO took place today. I wanted to reach out to provide a bit of background on what this implies, and what useful steps can be taken to best protect yourself going forward.

In short, there is community wide concern because of security reasons. Specifically, posts will talk about RCEs (i.e., a vulnerability in software that can allow malicious actors the ability to arbitrarily run nasty code on your computer, which can result in malware). A previous example of this was when Valve disabled MOTD HTML, for the same reason of an identified RCE vuln.

As of right now, there is no public knowledge of any new RCE vulnerabilities, however these do not generally get made public. Malicious actors will keep them quiet so that they can use them as 0-day exploits, and security researchers will typically also keep them quiet (save for a post that will identify a danger in the platform) to allow the developers to fix them before publicizing the details.

While I don't believe that there is reason to immediately panic, I do think that it is wise to be cautious. Valve's official CS:GO twitter provided a bit of insight as to what the build is, and why they don't (at the moment) believe there is much reason to worry. We don't feel that there is a need to shut our community servers down.

If the more panicked reaction that a lot of social media has been seeing is worrying you, I would highly recommend in ensuring that any virus protection you may have is up to date, and that your computer is also up to date with the latest security patches. This is probably the number 1 best way to ensure you are best protected against any potential malware.

If there are any questions, please feel free to DM me. We will continue to monitor this situation

• Ash pinned this topic
  • Nick unpinned this topic