Ryannn

Bring Back Map Modifiers!

Votemm poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a return of map modifiers to casual maps?

• Yes
    • Nope

Posted  Edited by Elemental

Although map modifiers plugin known by most as just !votemm mysteriously disappeared a while ago, there has recently been some interest seen on the server about a return. Until yesterday, I and seemingly many other players believed the plugin was broken, but it turns out it was removed for other reasons. This reason being that map modifiers take away from the core fundamentals of ze, and change up the gameplay too much. When we had the modifiers, they were almost always voted on casual maps, meaning they were rarely played normally. Personally, I can see the reasoning behind this idea, we voted it almost every chill map and would rtv if bad modifier, and modifiers really did change the way we played casual maps. I also think there is a different solution to solve this issue, instead of removing the beloved plugin all together.

What could be done: 

Set the vote percentage for map modifiers to pass higher. A percentage as high as 90% could definitely be a middle ground solution, so that a team of many players wanting votemm can still play it but it still would allow chill maps to mostly be played as usual.

If a !votemm is passed, make the team select which modifier they play by vote. This would prevent teams from just rtving or !undomm the undesired modifiers at the time. 

Add a bhop modifier, just because it would be amazing.

Edited by Elemental

Ahhh map modifiers. Truly great times for those late night casual runs. As much as I loved them, I think the problem with map modifiers was that casual players were wanting them to be played a little too often which conflicted the player base of casual and tryhard. 

Also if I remember right, an admin had to be on to turn them on -imo if they actually came back, I would leave the feature decision to admins (T2 ^) rather than a vote, as admins typically have good judgement whether its an unnecessary time or not to have them on.  

ORRR put a votemm cooldown / limit so that it is not abused (don't even know if that's possible) 

We didn't remove because of negative feedback, some of the modifiers were broken. It's been on a list of things to fix for a while.

I agree, I feel like we need to edit the modifiers, as people only wanted certain modifiers. I feel like changing the settings for chill maps to things like maybe nemesis mod, or maybe including fail nades as a default could add in a fun factor that would do wonders. 

9 minutes ago, Block said:

We didn't remove because of negative feedback, some of the modifiers were broken. It's been on a list of things to fix for a while.

After talking with snowy in discord last night he made it seem like nothing was broken, and he only removed due to the negative feedback.

And regardless if modifiers were broken, can't you just remove them until they're fixed?

Posted  Edited by GXP-10

BRING BACK AWP R8 KNOCKBACK

Edited by GXP-10

any luff maps -> ff maps -> random tryhard maps -> tryhard laser maps that isn't ff or irrelevant ff maps -> random tryhard map -> mars_escape -> atix_panic -> any surf maps -> crazy_escape -> atix apocalypse -> minas tirith -> random casual maps -> shroomforest 123 -> platformer -> repeat

Posted  Edited by lce
On 4/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, Block said:

Are you sure it was broken? From what snowy said in discord, it made it seem as if the plugin was working fine but was removed due to being undesirable.

Untitled.png.515c98053dc443d59782a675c02875cd.png

Edited by lce

Posted  Edited by Snowy

Just to clear things up, MM was not broken afaik.

It was first removed to rule out a memory leak that was happening on the server, however the memory leak was not due to MM.

I decided to keep it removed due to it ruining casual maps occasionally, where people would start:

- spamming in voice to force players to do !votemm

- rtv'ing if no one votes mm

- rtv'ing when a unlikeable mm was chosen (I know !undomm was an option, but sometimes, it was too late and ppl already rtv'ed)

- voting for a MM, then start to troll around

I know it kept those casual maps fun for some, maybe, just maybe... it'll return. Who knows?
And please stop suggesting retarded/impossible modifier for votemm, thanks.

Edited by Snowy

Posted  Edited by willywilson
1 hour ago, Snowy said:

Just to clear things up, MM was not broken afaik.

It was first removed to rule out a memory leak that was happening on the server, however the memory leak was not due to MM.

I decided to keep it removed due to it ruining casual maps occasionally, where people would start:

- spamming in voice to force players to do !votemm

- rtv'ing if no one votes mm

- rtv'ing when a unlikeable mm was chosen (I know !undomm was an option, but sometimes, it was too late and ppl already rtv'ed)

- voting for a MM, then start to troll around

I know it kept those casual maps fun for some, maybe, just maybe... it'll return. Who knows?
And please stop suggesting retarded/impossible modifier for votemm, thanks.

I have an idea to clear up these issues, about 1 minute into the map once everyone has joined, trigger a vote for votemm, where everyone has to participate, 1 yes, 2 no, 3 i don't care. Then have a second vote as to what the modifier will be, and things like uncapped bhop can be fine, but the current modifiers were horrible, why people spammed for shit ones to be removed, as very few people like things like sepiroth, etc. and instead wanted one hit knife, but if you add uncapped bhop, or something like increased awp / r8 knockback and restrict all other weapons, or pistols only, etc. more of 'challenge settings' or fun things than ones that are unpopular. 

Also, if the majority of the community wants something, why remove it? the vote is massively in favor of vote mm. (86%+ as of writing this)

Edited by willywilson

I think they're usually fun and wouldn't mind them added. But keep in mind the idea of the  "community'" only goes as far as those who participate in the vote and only consists of regular players who would obviously want something to spice up the casual maps they've played many times. A majority of the people that play on the server wouldn't even have heard of the forums and these newer players would probably honestly prefer normal settings. Just imagine your first experience playing ZE is 3/4s of the humans charging at zombies and knifing them instead of playing normally, it might not be an enticing way for the game mode to be introduced to newer players. Just something to keep in mind.

Posted  Edited by Elemental

What do you guys think about the idea of maybe having the option for modifiers only enabled on 1 day a week if that's possible? Admin setting a vote for giving the map a modifier and then voting for which modifier also seems like a great solution to me.

Edited by Elemental

Posted  Edited by Mavis
4 hours ago, willywilson said:

I have an idea to clear up these issues, about 1 minute into the map once everyone has joined, trigger a vote for votemm, where everyone has to participate, 1 yes, 2 no, 3 i don't care. Then have a second vote as to what the modifier will be, and things like uncapped bhop can be fine, but the current modifiers were horrible, why people spammed for shit ones to be removed, as very few people like things like sepiroth, etc. and instead wanted one hit knife, but if you add uncapped bhop, or something like increased awp / r8 knockback and restrict all other weapons, or pistols only, etc. more of 'challenge settings' or fun things than ones that are unpopular. 

Also, if the majority of the community wants something, why remove it? the vote is massively in favor of vote mm. (86%+ as of writing this)

Should also mute chat and voice until after the vote is done to get rid of any chance of influencing if it's at the start of the map. 

Edited by Mavis

7 hours ago, Im_not_ninja said:

I don't know if we should bring it back. I'm starting to think that if fail nades are enabled, some bozo will boost ZMs by throwing nades that will trim some of the human team.

It's just unavoidable tbh, the only way to stop it is if the humans just stop throwing nades completely. But where's the fun in that.

sisters camp GIF

• 2 weeks later...