Guest Saizy

George Floyd’s Death & The US Riots Discussion

Guest Saizy

If you are sensitive to political or negative world events talk or you are immature, this thread is not for you & I recommend you go to another one.

Context before we begin.

I want to know GFL’s thoughts about the recent riots in the USA due to one mans unfortunate passing because of police brutality. This thread is for civil discussion, not a shit flinging contest. 

As always, stay safe & beautiful.

Guest Saizy
Posted  Edited by Saizy
21 minutes ago, bowoof said:

i think this is a forum points grab

No, OP doesn’t usually get reactions anyway. 😪

It’s also too serious of a topic to farm useless points immaturely like that.

Edited by Saizy

Posted  Edited by Neon Cat

I am overall a trump supporter, but I can't agree with how he has been acting lately. I do not like it when people protesting are killed, but they WERE protesting violently, so I am not sure which side I want to be on.

Edited by Neon Cat

NeonCat(2).gif.2714539153eb7163f372ea5b400ea8bb.gif

Overall just a terrible thing (no shit sherlock). The cop shouldn't have put his knee on Floyd's neck especially for 7-10 minutes. If it weren't for that, Floyd would've live and this whole thing would've never happen. As for the riots, it's the sad truth that riots will always be a solution for protesters to get what they want when protesting peacefully doesn't work. It's just how it has always worked. Welcome to civilization lads. Here's to 2020.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

This is inhuman. The police officer had no rights to do what he has done. According to the Civil Rights Act, discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin is illegal. The saddest is that the poor man begged the officier to let him go. For the riots, I understand the people’s reaction. Peaceful riots almost never work (except for the Quiet Revolution of 1960, I don’t know how that worked out).

𝓚𝓪𝓲𝓽𝓼𝓮𝓭𝓭

Qualified gamer and professional moron

Admin on Breach (loony bin)

Achievements

Let me burn down my own community and ruin peoples lives out of protest. The cop involved should not have been that negligent and im glad that justice is being served (hes being charged with murder). But i always hate when people go apeshit and riot like this because innocent people not involved are caught in the crosshair. Businesses destroyed, lives ruined; its like the fucking purge. 

TRUE.jpg

L9frmI0.png

Sometimes I spill my milk and I explode in anger.  Someone else seeing this might claim it's spilled milk; nothing to cry over.  What they didn't see is that I've been spilling my milk 300x per day everyday for the past 10 years and I've done everything I can trying to prevent my milk from spilling, but it still happens.  I'm not angry that the milk spilled once; I'm angry about it always happening.

This incident itself is horrible, and nobody should lose their life over a petty or nonviolent crimes.  Worse is that it's not even giving light to a greater problem; that greater problem has already been well-known for a very long time.  I mean not long ago exactly the same story, but people were talking about Eric Garner.  Still very recent was Ahmaud Arbery maybe just a few weeks ago because being a person of colour and going for a run is a high risk activity.  This wasn't just a racist white cop against a black man, but there are (subconscious) bias and systematic racism.  People of colour and minorities are always running against the wind (and possibly bullets); there are huge barriers for the most basic and fundamental needs or respect that people like me automatically have.

It's not a trivial problem.  There are a lot of programs aiming to wipe this bias and topics like this are being covered in school and elite universities.  I literally took a class at my university that basically told me that I was racist, and it was really challenging for me.  Something I've noticed between my younger girlfriend and I is that her lack of bias is very much natural compared to my thought process.  To me it's like translating a language.  It takes me a moment to tell myself "Oh, that's kind of racist" or "That's not fair."  I have to correct myself or go against my intuition.  I don't want to think the wrong way first and I am embarrassed, but I grew up in a society that was okay with this way of life.  A lot of people still don't even bother correcting their self.  So maybe as the next generation assumes many of these leadership roles where doing the right thing is more natural for them, that these problems will happen less.  Unfortunately, for now, being quiet about it doesn't seem to be working and so while being loud isn't the preferred method it's practically the only way to possibly get something.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Guest Saizy

This event is extremely unfortunate and has happened time & time again.

I understand the riots and the acts of defiance. Peaceful protests never resolved anything, and it's time people start getting angry at the inept police officers who can't decide what is right or wrong. Is it okay to target & harass police officers who have done nothing wrong? No, it breeds the cycle of hate. However, this is what comes with the job title. You are the enforcer of laws, you will always be the target in protests, it's why the job exists. Being half-black, it's disgusting to see this happen to good people. No one should decide if a man should die or not, even if they are Hitler re-incarnated. Yes, as mentioned above, the police officer is being charged with third degree murder. You know how many years max that is? 25 years. 25 years for a needless death that he has done. 25 years even though he took a lifetime away from a person. 25 years. That is disgusting.

I believe in the people & the USA. I have high hopes we will come out of this social unrest better united. I hope hate does not prevail, but it's time people take action into their own hands and show the government what this really means to them and start seeing change.

1 minute ago, Saizy said:

This event is extremely unfortunate and has happened time & time again.

I understand the riots and the acts of defiance. Peaceful protests never resolved anything, and it's time people start getting angry at the inept police officers who can't decide what is right or wrong. Is it okay to target & harass police officers who have done nothing wrong? No, it breeds the cycle of hate. However, this is what comes with the job title. You are the enforcer of laws, you will always be the target in protests, it's why the job exists. Being half-black, it's disgusting to see this happen to good people. No one should decide if a man should die or not, even if they are Hitler re-incarnated. Yes, as mentioned above, the police officer is being charged with third degree murder. You know how many years max that is? 25 years. 25 years for a needless death that he has done. 25 years even though he took a lifetime away from a person. 25 years. That is disgusting.

I believe in the people & the USA. I have high hopes we will come out of this social unrest better united. I hope hate does not prevail, but it's time people take action into their own hands and show the government what this really means to them and start seeing change.

"peaceful protests never resolved anything" what about the protest led by MLK?

L9frmI0.png

Everytime something like this happens, it's the LA riots all over again with over $1 billion in damage caused by the rioters.  Seems like the past unfortunately is being repeated again when it shouldn't be.  

Guest Saizy
7 minutes ago, DOOMSlayer_ said:

"peaceful protests never resolved anything" what about the protest led by MLK?

MLK wasn't the only protester.

While he didn't do & was against violent protests, he understood why they exist.
"A riot is the language of the unheard" - Martin Luther King, as said here.

He wasn't the only one leading protests either but was by far the most popular one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_civil_rights_leaders

Guest Saizy
21 minutes ago, Maury povich said:

I dont care at all.  None of this applies to me.

"They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

Posted  Edited by SS PigeonShit
3 hours ago, Saizy said:

"A riot is the language of the unheard" - Martin Luther King, as said here.

Bear in mind in that same clip, in that same interview, Dr. King also said about 50 seconds later that he condemns rioting as self defeating and socially destructive. People seem to be using that quote as a justification for rioting and insinuating Dr. King was in favor of riots when that is indeed not the case.

As for my thoughts on the matter: obviously it shouldn't have happened. Everything about it was wrong. But I'm not one to be too quick to pull the race card on this situation. Unless new evidence is revealed about the officer who I shall not name and his past, I believe had George Floyd been another skin color, he would have been treated the same way. If I can, let me take you back 4 years ago to the stone cold murder of Daniel Shaver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver). I'm not going to explain every single detail, just know that he was drunk laying face down on the floor, hands behind his back and legs crossed in a hotel hallway, begging for his life with a half dozen police officers aiming their guns at him. He made one mistake in the order they were giving him and he was shot dead there on the spot. He was unarmed. They believe he was just trying to pull his pants up as they were falling down. There's even pretty disturbing bodycam footage of the whole incident. What happened?

There were no riots, no looting, no mass protests calling for the officers arrest. None of that. It was just another story in the news for about a day before everyone moved on. None of the officers were convicted of murder. The one who did the most shooting (Officer Philip Brailsfor) was acquitted, is getting a pension from the police department and is receiving PTSD treatment being paid for by taxpayer dollars because of the whole ordeal.

It was because the victim was white. If he were black, we would have likely seen what we are seeing now. It would have been labeled an execution, Al Sharpton would be on the news every night discussing it, every officer involved would have been fired and the NAACP would be having a field day. Instead, Daniel Shaver is an afterthought. A blip on the radar.

Which isn't to say what happened to George Floyd should be let go or the severity of the situation lessened to any extent. When I first watched the video of the ordeal, I punched my desk and nearly broke a finger on my right hand in anger. But don't bring the race card into this when we have yet to see a single shred of evidence that any of this is because of Mr. Floyd's race. And as for the rioting, it solves nothing. Looting and burning buildings and destroying property isn't going to bring George back and it's not going to solve a thing. It's only going to make things worse. 2 people are now dead along with Mr. Floyd because they were killed by store owners while looting. It's not easy by any means, but cooler heads need to prevail. The officer who committed the offense is in custody and awaiting charges. Let this play out. Rioting will not get anything done any faster and only helps perpetuate stereotypes around protesters.

Also, in regards to "peaceful protests never solving anything", Gandhi and Dr. King among MANY many many others, would like a word...

Edited by SS PigeonShit

Guest Saizy
Posted  Edited by Saizy - Edit Reason: typo
21 minutes ago, SS PigeonShit said:

Bear in mind in that same clip, in that same interview, Dr. King also said about 50 seconds later that he condemns rioting as self defeating and socially destructive. People seem to be using that quote as a justification for rioting and insinuating Dr. King was in favor of riots when that is indeed not the case.

As for my thoughts on the matter: obviously it shouldn't have happened. Everything about it was wrong. But I'm not one to be too quick to pull the race card on this situation. Unless new evidence is revealed about the officer who I shall not name and his past, I believe had George Floyd been another skin color, he would have been treated the same way. If I can, let me take you back 4 years ago to the stone cold murder of Daniel Shaver (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_of_Daniel_Shaver). I'm not going to explain every single detail, just know that he was drunk laying face down on the floor, hands behind his back and legs crossed in a hotel hallway, begging for his life with a half dozen police officers aiming their guns at him. He made one mistake in the order they were giving him and he was shot dead there on the spot. He was unarmed. They believe he was just trying to pull his pants up as they were falling down. There's even pretty disturbing bodycam footage of the whole incident. What happened?

There were no riots, no looting, no mass protests calling for the officers arrest. None of that. It was just another story in the news for about a day before everyone moved on. None of the officers were convicted of murder. The one who did the most shooting (Officer Philip Brailsfor) was acquitted, is getting a pension from the police department and is receiving PTSD treatment being paid for by taxpayer dollars because of the whole ordeal.

It was because the victim was white. If he were black, we would have likely seen what we are seeing now. It would have been labeled an execution, Al Sharpton would be on the news every night discussing it, every officer involved would have been fired and the NAACP would be having a field day. Instead, Daniel Shaver is an afterthought. A blip on the radar.

Which isn't to say what happened to George Floyd should be let go or the severity of the situation lessened to any extent. When I first watched the video of the ordeal, I punched my desk and nearly broke a finger on my right hand in anger. But don't bring the race card into this when we have yet to see a single shred of evidence that any of this is because of Mr. Floyd's race. And as for the rioting, it solves nothing. Looting and burning buildings and destroying property isn't going to bring George back and it's not going to solve a thing. It's only going to make things worse. 2 people are now dead along with Mr. Floyd because they were killed by store owners while looting. It's not easy by any means, but cooler heads need to prevail. The officer who committed the offense is in custody and awaiting charges. Let this play out. Rioting will not get anything done any faster and only helps perpetuate stereotypes around protesters.

Also, in regards to "peaceful protests never solving anything", Gandhi and Dr. King among MANY many many others, would like a word...

Beautiful, beautiful argument and changed my stance somewhat.

However, I didn't pull the race card, but this happens to more black people than white people. I agree that all police brutality against ANY race is awful and should NEVER happen. This entire event was disgusting and hard to watch. Gandhi's peaceful protesting isn't what caused the British to leave India. The non violent movements were not actually the cause of Independence but were the cause of the unity of Indians. It was because of actions of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, but this is besides the point as well. In the USA, peaceful protesting has proven more times than not that it doesn't work. Especially in today's day & age. 

It is tiring to see police brutality against anyone in the news. You'd think they learned their lesson before, yet it keeps on happening. 

In regards to the Dr. King Interview, he did say it in the source I linked as well but he said riots wouldn't happen if the people were being heard. They are both equally bad, I agree, but all of this would have been avoided if previous mistakes were learned from and taken action to prevent against. I am not condoning rioting, and it's quite sad to see store owners, families of police officers, and the general public be affected negatively by the riots. However, once someone's peaceful protest is seemingly no longer heard by their government, they feel as if they need to show force to give the government a true incentive to fix their shit.

Riots is the effect of the government's inability to hear the people.

Edited by Saizy
typo

3 hours ago, Joshy said:

Sometimes I spill my milk and I explode in anger.  Someone else seeing this might claim it's spilled milk; nothing to cry over.  What they didn't see is that I've been spilling my milk 300x per day everyday for the past 10 years and I've done everything I can trying to prevent my milk from spilling, but it still happens.  I'm not angry that the milk spilled once; I'm angry about it always happening.

This incident itself is horrible, and nobody should lose their life over a petty or nonviolent crimes.  Worse is that it's not even giving light to a greater problem; that greater problem has already been well-known for a very long time.  I mean not long ago exactly the same story, but people were talking about Eric Garner.  Still very recent was Ahmaud Arbery maybe just a few weeks ago because being a person of colour and going for a run is a high risk activity.  This wasn't just a racist white cop against a black man, but there are (subconscious) bias and systematic racism.  People of colour and minorities are always running against the wind (and possibly bullets); there are huge barriers for the most basic and fundamental needs or respect that people like me automatically have.

It's not a trivial problem.  There are a lot of programs aiming to wipe this bias and topics like this are being covered in school and elite universities.  I literally took a class at my university that basically told me that I was racist, and it was really challenging for me.  Something I've noticed between my younger girlfriend and I is that her lack of bias is very much natural compared to my thought process.  To me it's like translating a language.  It takes me a moment to tell myself "Oh, that's kind of racist" or "That's not fair."  I have to correct myself or go against my intuition.  I don't want to think the wrong way first and I am embarrassed, but I grew up in a society that was okay with this way of life.  A lot of people still don't even bother correcting their self.  So maybe as the next generation assumes many of these leadership roles where doing the right thing is more natural for them, that these problems will happen less.  Unfortunately, for now, being quiet about it doesn't seem to be working and so while being loud isn't the preferred method it's practically the only way to possibly get something.

I couldn't have said it any better. Joshy basically took all my thoughts and put it into that post.

I really don't like the idea of rioting much because I think it will cause a lot of unrest and division, however, this issue really needs to be brought to the eye of the general public. I think people are underestimating the severity of the situation to people who are disadvantaged. I feel like people know about the topic of police brutality, but it's not resonating enough with them. I've seen and heard these stories before, and the cops are actually pretty scary. I can't imagine being attacked by a cop, especially in the way that George Floyd was. It's always really frustrating to see cases of this because it feels like we haven't learned anything from previous episodes of this. There are some times where I need to tell myself to think about other experiences and not go off my own. My experiences won't be the same as everyone else's experiences, which I also think a lot of people need to recognize. I'm a straight white male. I won't have the same encounter or thought process about a certain system as other people of a race, ethnic group, gender, and anything else you want to name here.

There are always those times where I think things about an issue just from my perspective and then I see the other side and I have to accept that I was very wrong about it. When I first saw this, I was like, "Why are they rioting? That's the worst way to go about this.", but then I remembered just how long police brutality has been occurring in the US and I really felt bad about what I had said earlier because I wasn't taking any of that into consideration. I remembered that there are people being traumatized by police brutality, whether it's directly at them, or it's at someone else.

After I took all of this into consideration, I came to a conclusion. Yes, rioting isn't peaceful, but people are making a point about a topic that has fallen on deaf ears for the most part. We all need to stand together as humans and hold ourselves accountable for treating each other equally, no matter if you're a minority or a majority, democrat or republican, man or woman, christian or muslim, and the list goes on and on. We're a different culture and we need to embrace it. Rioting isn't peaceful, but it's bringing attention to something that desperately needs it.

-Brotherwolf

Posted  Edited by VilhjalmrF
59 minutes ago, SS PigeonShit said:

Agree there lad. Riots don't solve anything yes. It's unfortunate that no matter how many times we say that, riots still happens. Even after all these years and past riots, we still get them. A good amount of people take advantage of these riots too. By looting and destroying things not because they care and want justice but because of their own greed.

Edited by VilhjalmrF

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

1 hour ago, SS PigeonShit said:

I agree that people misconstrue King's quote when he talks about rioting. I asked my dad what happened after the massive LA riots after Freddie Gray was killed by the police, and he said they were looting innocent people's stores who had absolutely nothing to do with Freddie Gray. Rioting is a tool for the fool, because if you're caught, you go to jail with a criminal record, and if not, you fucked some dude over. Whether the dude that was screwed over was a faceless company or a local small business, people and entrepreneurs are going to remember that and not coming back post riot.  People are rioting for the sake of rioting, people need to respect that he was killed by the cop and that the best thing they should do is be responsible, especially with this virus out, because you see footage of the protesters, and they're not social distancing or wearing a mask unless they're looting shit. Sure, some of them have signs and are chanting "I can't breathe" but there's a sizeable amount that are there to destroy innocent people's property for the sake of destroying shit to "make a point". I do not support the riots in any way because after this is all over, the places that were torched or looted will learn to not come back, therefore destroying the local economy from lost revenue and increasing human suffering by making people lose their jobs. Also, I live in California, so it was irritating that a crowd of people blocked the 104 freeway in the middle of the day. Blocking your average person trying to get to work or home or whatever they need to do doesn't advance your cause in any way, it just pisses people off and makes the movement look bad.

As for the actual death of Geroge Floyd, it should have never happened, that officer had 15+ complaints against him from citizens and officer's from the local PD and should have been removed. However, I do realize that police unions are a thing and fight tooth and nail to keep officer's from getting fired, so it's not as easy as giving him the slip, but 15 complaints should really say something about someone's character and how (un)well they do their job. There was the chief or whoever that said you are trained to know that the prone neck thing that the cop did to George Floyd was deadly to someone in a prone position, and in the video Floyd stopped resisting, so there was no need to use that sort of force. I for one am happy with the fact that the cop had copped a 3rd degree murder and manslaughter charge after the fact.

<CWRP SHOCK SGM LOL>
<HEY WHAT'S UP JOE>

2 hours ago, SS PigeonShit said:

Same as Saizy here, changed my point of view. But what do you want the people to do? They keep protesting and protesting, and it just gets worse. Even peaceful riots don't help. Sorry to say that, but this is the governement's fault. They don't take the matters into hands and instead, they let the police do what they did. Maybe if the governement took the riots seriously and fairly punished the officier, all this mess wouldn't have happened.

𝓚𝓪𝓲𝓽𝓼𝓮𝓭𝓭

Qualified gamer and professional moron

Admin on Breach (loony bin)

Achievements

Guest Saizy

This all boils down to the government's fault. No matter how you look at it. Things have to change for everyone regarding this subject.

Posted  Edited by King_Wailord

Do people even know how India gained their freedom from the British East India Company and Monarchy through peaceful and non-verbal protests? The fact that people are supporting riots that literally destroy innocent lives and society is just ridiculous to me, and I really just don't understand it, no matter how many quotes you throw at me.

As for the actual situation, yes, racism is an enormous issue in the USA and to be realistic here, the entire world. As pointed out by pigeon, though, every racial minority (and majority for that matter), does come under discrimination due to their physical appearances at some point in time due to the pre-built stereotypes that people have developed through living around certain peoples and cultures. I mean think, it wasn't long ago that Americans in California were being extremely prejudiced and racist towards the Chinese who were literally stuck in the United States after they sailed across the Pacific in order to find new jobs to provide for their family. After arriving, they simply could not make enough money to get back to China so many of them were stuck and decided to send all of their money back to their families. This led the American people to be seeing the Chinese as poor people who were useless to society and thus racial stereotypes were born against the Chinese on the East-Coast of America.

There are COUNTLESS other examples of racial prejudice against various groups, in which peaceful protest has resolved, or at least partially resolved a situation... and for people to be justifying the looting and raiding by saying that "we need justice now!", in my eyes its simply a brain-dead argument with no one looking and learning from the past. Just to be clear, of course I do not support the cops in this case, they were obviously murderers and deserve to be in prison for their crimes, however, breaking the law and tearing down this country should not be the reaction of the people who no longer wish to protest peacefully. 

Edited by King_Wailord

Achievements