Fertility

GFL Blackout

• Ben locked and unlocked this topic
Posted  Edited by K4 da bae4

If you truly want to honour George flyod, you should encourage for more communication  and discourse on the issue at hand amongst the community rather than to shut down servers and prevent  healthy interactions . All the blackout had done was mute important information from being seen for a day and it was a dumb way of saying look i did my social media activism and in no way is a form of solidarity to those who are affected by police brutality.  Stop having a sheepish mentality by following dumb trends like this, actually donate, sign the petitions, if you are going to protest make sure you are safe first and stop those who are there only to cause destruction and hurt others , if you see someone in need help them, if you see racism call it out 

Edited by K4 da bae4

590985571719970826.gif

1 minute ago, K4 da bae4 said:

If you truly want to honour George flyod, you should encourage for more communication  and discourse on the issue at hand amongst the community rather than to shut down servers and prevent  healthy interactions

Taking down the servers for a mere day will bring the issue up to a lot of uneducated people, other communities have done this with good effect.

2 minutes ago, K4 da bae4 said:

All the blackout had done was mute important information from being seen for a day

What important information do video game servers contain?

3 minutes ago, K4 da bae4 said:

actually donate

Not everyone has the privilege of wealth

Guest Saizy
Posted  Edited by Saizy

I get to escape the reality of real life and it's responsibilities to either play games or watch big tiddy girls in anime.

Taking down the servers for a mere day will bring the issue up to a lot of uneducated people, other communities have done this with good effect.

Most of GFL is under 18, they don't care ( sadly or not ). Stripping away a persons source of entertainment is kinda gay ngl.

I'm 19 & live alone, yet I still donated $10. ANY donation will help.

Edited by Saizy

I've gone to multiple protests, stroke up conversations with my friends who don't really care, and confronted some co-workers who've made some terrible remarks about this situation. I believe this entire "Blackout" is exactly the opposite of what people should do. Conversations need to be started, people need to challenge their own beliefs, and motives for anything in this country to ever change. If you knew anything about this community, you'd know it actually does an incredible job at striking up sensitive conversations, and challenging the way people think, by exposing them to ideas and people they never would of encountered in their own life. If you truly want to make change, go to a protest, donate, sign petitions, stand up for people. If you see racism, or discrimination of any sort. You need to tell yourself that you're going to stop it. The bystander effect is very real in america. I'll link multiple links for people who truly want to make a difference, not post a black square and never visit the topic again. 

JUSTICE FOR GEORGE FLOYD: 

http://chng.it/Rtpbxv2CdK 

CHARGE THE MINNEAPOLIS POLICE OFFICERS: 

https://www.change.org/p/change-org-the-minneapolis-police-officers-to-be-charged-for-murder-after-killing-innocent-black-man

HANDS UP ACT PETITION:

https://www.change.org/p/us-senate-hands-up-act

GEORGE FLOYD MEMORIAL FUND: 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/georgefloyd

Guest Saizy

To go further on what @startyourfire said, r/askhistorians has a great post about the history behind this as well.

17 minutes ago, Fertility said:

If people weren't aware of this situation already,thats on them, it has nothing to do with the servers, GFL in no way effects the lack of education on the topic, turning the servers off will literally change nothing, “What important information do video game servers contain?” I dont know what sever u play on but i can happily say that the tf2 servers has been A very positive environment for those who are trying to take a break from what going on outside Rn, And they have also been very helpful in giving info such as the details about whats going on and helping others in finding ways to help, as for donating, you are right not everyone has the privilege of wealth, And for those who cant donate luckily theres a video that Has been made where all the revenue made from it will be donated.

Edited by K4 da bae4

590985571719970826.gif

It's being called out even in places that are practicing it because t's being done blindly without sincere purpose or understanding.  Context always matters: GFL is not the right place and it doesn't make sense to do it here.  If it's working elsewhere, then good for them.

A lot of the other methods explained are much better.  In my personal opinion: The best way to do it is to educate yourself and take on a leadership role; champion for these ideas and drive the change.  It's truly the ultimate way.  I posted the quote before, but I think this is another good time to share it:

"No good idea succeeds simply because it is a good idea. Good ideas must have champions- people willing to believe in them, push for them, fight for them, gain adherents and other champions, and press until they succeed. Bad ideas don't die simply because they are intrinsically bad. You need people who will stand up and fight them, put themselves at risk, point out the weaknesses, and drive stakes through their hearts." - Colin Powell

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

2 hours ago, Saizy said:

I get to escape the reality of real life and it's responsibilities to either play games or watch big tiddy girls in anime.

So you get to ignore the real issues currently going on and not care about them, got it.

2 hours ago, Saizy said:

Most of GFL is under 18, they don't care ( sadly or not ).

This is how you make them care.

2 hours ago, Saizy said:

Stripping away a persons source of entertainment is kinda gay ngl.

Stripping away the life of an innocent black man is kinda gay ngl.

2 hours ago, Saizy said:

I'm 19 & live alone, yet I still donated $10. ANY donation will help.

Cool, I'm living below the poverty line and Covid has taken a deep toll on my pocket, I can donate $10, but what if I need those $10 because my job is gone or prices go up?

2 hours ago, startyourfire said:

If you truly want to make change, go to a protest

I am attending protests in my own city.

2 hours ago, startyourfire said:

not post a black square and never visit the topic again. 

We're not posting a black square, we're observing a down period of 24 hours, just putting a black square and continuing on obviously does nothing.

2 hours ago, Saizy said:

To go further on what @startyourfire said, r/askhistorians has a great post about the history behind this as well.

I don't really want to read a reddit post from a bunch of no name internet historians, I'd much rather read accredited ones.

2 hours ago, K4 da bae4 said:

If people weren't aware of this situation already,thats on them

We can make them aware.

GFL in no way effects the lack of education on the topic

GFL has how many daily players? If every player gets a message when they try to connect that would be one more person slightly informed and they hopefully would go on to read up more about it.

i can happily say that the tf2 servers has been A very positive environment for those who are trying to take a break from what going on outside Rn,

That's not information.

1 hour ago, Joshy said:

Context always matters: GFL is not the right place and it doesn't make sense to do it here.

Why not?

GFL can draw attention to the issue from it's playerbase.

26 minutes ago, Fertility said:

So you get to ignore the real issues currently going on and not care about them, got it.

This is how you make them care.

Stripping away the life of an innocent black man is kinda gay ngl.

Cool, I'm living below the poverty line and Covid has taken a deep toll on my pocket, I can donate $10, but what if I need those $10 because my job is gone or prices go up?

I am attending protests in my own city.

We're not posting a black square, we're observing a down period of 24 hours, just putting a black square and continuing on obviously does nothing.

I don't really want to read a reddit post from a bunch of no name internet historians, I'd much rather read accredited ones.

We can make them aware.

GFL has how many daily players? If every player gets a message when they try to connect that would be one more person slightly informed and they hopefully would go on to read up more about it.

That's not information.

Why not?

GFL can draw attention to the issue from it's playerbase.

This will be my final response to this and i wont answer regardless, your original idea is dumb just like blackout Tuesday was a retarded idea that muted information from getting to people  , you trying to force this downs peoples throats doesnt help, it pushes people away. People are allowed to have fun and enjoy the entertainment of their choosing all while acknowledging And caring about real life problems, their is nothing wrong with wanting to distance themselves and to take a step back from it.  the posts here have been reasonable answers from reasonable people, if you dont like it make your own community, shut it down for a day, congratulations you ended racism and police brutality 

Edited by K4 da bae4

590985571719970826.gif

13 minutes ago, K4 da bae4 said:

People are allowed to have fun and enjoy the entertainment of their choosing all while acknowledging And caring about real life problems

Sorry but if you're too busy playing a video game to do real activism then you don't care, not being racist isn't enough in 2020.

Posted  Edited by flyingjoe32 - Edit Reason: added disclaimer

Thank you for the recommendation but I doubt we'll put the community in a standstill. However you do raise a very important point, and that is that we should all try to contribute to the cause. Since not all of us are able to go out and march in the streets, I'll be leaving a link here with donation pages and other information. Supporting the cause is very noble but we shouldn't shame others just because they don't reach the level of "activism" that we do.

https://blacklivesmatter.carrd.co/

ALSO: A reminder not to donate to every site you see. Verify for yourselves that the site is legitimate and that the money goes where it is promised: in the hands of the victims rather than the hands of some corporation. Sites such as Change may not donate the money they receive directly to those affected. Once again, common sense prevails.

Edited by flyingjoe32
added disclaimer

big signature below

flyingjoes_signature.png

thanks you to @Aura

me.png

~~~made by @King_Wailord~~~