TheClassyBandit

Completely wrecked

Posted  Edited by TheClassyBandit

I'll keep this brief while providing as many details as i can, I work soon.

So today I thought that I would start up my computer before work, and I was greeted by my normal desktop, but gmod launched and promptly crashed my computer. I received a message on screen after I restarted my computer from Dell anjd Alienware support (my support hardware) that the OI/disk could have been damaged and it needed repairs. And that it did, the support hardware went to work on restoring and recovering data and reparing the OI/disk (i think thats what it was called, the screen only showed up for a few seconds before it switched to a different support screen and began restoring the computer). But when it finished and I started my computer back up, I was not able to log into the account on my computer (I'm using a temporary one now). There are a few of my games and random files still accessable to me now, but everything else is missing. I cant call support yet, I work in 10 minutes. But in the meantime, since I can stay updated on my phone, can any of you tech savy members of GFL give me a general idea of what happened so I can go to Alienware/Dell support with as much info as possible. I know this isnt much but I can provide more information if needed, i just dont know what else to put.

Side note; I ran a quick scan with my Norton anti-virus software, it found nothing, so I can now doing a full system scan. I'll be back at 11:00 PM central time to reply to comments left on this thread.

Update:

All of my files were recovered, virtually lost nothing (But a few pictures). But now can't sign in to my user on this computer, basically I get a message saying that I am unable to sign in (I have internet on), so now I can only use a temporary account where any changes aren't saved. I can't switch my user normally, going to the start menu and clicking my name/profile picture does not show a option to switch users, neither does going to the lock screen. Yet I can go to ThisPC - OC: - Users - And see my other users (I have two).

Edited by TheClassyBandit

Ex TTT 24/7 Minecraft Admin.

Is Pretty Classy Too.

pyros.png.80bfa2fe08c28c8e48c94bc69e9b0f2a.png

Ok, so since no one has assisted let's go through some basics

When you go to log on are you able to see your old profile 

If yes have you tried no password, password, and old passwords

If yes and nothing worked then have you tried running things as administrator

Let's try these simple things first 

Achievements

Here's what happen when I log on.

I am greeted by my usual lock screen, along with the correct user, I can use my regular password, and it logs in normally. Until after the log in loading circle changes from "Logging in" to "Preparing Windows". It may take anywhere from a minute to several minutes for that process to complete. 

When I get to my desktop though, I am no longer on my regular user, it switched me to a temporary user. And a popup (from Windows) appears and says that I am currently unable to sign in on the account i requested and that I was provided with a temporary user until I sign in to my regular user.

For example, my regular user is named "CkDestop", and the temporary user is named "TEMP"

I am then given two options, I can sign out and return to the lock screen and either log back in (which just repeats what happens) or select a different user. Or I can dismiss the popup and continue in the "TEMP" user.

So far I have been able to re connect my Microsoft account, but when I go to change to a new user the option does not appear. I know to go to the start menu and click on my profile picture or name, but the only options that appear are sign out, shutdown, and account settings. If I go to the lock screen, the option to switch users isn't present. 

Note that I can also go into the Users folder and view the con tents of each user, my regular user is still there with all of its files.

Is Pretty Classy Too.

Posted  Edited by The_Mad_Hatter

Please read and try this 

https://kb.uwplatt.edu/page.php?id=33215

Or at least tell me if this sounds like your problem so that I know what vault to dig into so that I can assist you 

Edited by The_Mad_Hatter

Achievements

Posted  Edited by TheClassyBandit

This is what I see, and it does sound like my problem, but i dont see the .bak profile.

ting.png

Update: I actually realized that I had navigated to the wrong area, I found the folders listed in the link, I'll let you know if that link helped me.

Edited by TheClassyBandit

Is Pretty Classy Too.

What was on that page seemed to be heading in the right direction, but it didn't work, here's what I see in the last step opposed to whats supposed to be there; (didnt bother croping) 

Ting.png

Is Pretty Classy Too.

I talked to support, they said that the OS is corrupted, and that I need to reinstall it, thanks for your help though, doing that before I contacted support really helped knock a few things off the list to see what the issue was.

Is Pretty Classy Too.

Windows 10, I know how to reinstall it (while I'm basically wiping the OS and reinstalling it), I don't know how to re add the user information after that. I have it double backed up, do I make a temporary user first? Or is there a way to re add my old user during the set up?

Is Pretty Classy Too.

Well, I guess I could wipe the OS, then make a temporary user, add my old one, then make my old user an Administrator. Is that a good idea? or should I not do that?

Is Pretty Classy Too.