Crazy_Jeff

Adding auto-retry plugin from zeddys

Zeddy's just made a plugin that auto-retries for players who have just downloaded a map for the first time. When connecting and dling a map the server automatically retries for you like on crazy kart.

I'd like to see this plugin added to gfl as it would completely eliminate the need for the !retry command in getting new players to see particles. I'm sick of telling people to type !retry when half of the time they don't even do it. The plugin is free for use.

Assuming that it only forcibly retries you when you first download a map with particles, that would be nice. However, the most common plugin that has this functionality that some servers run retries you EVERY time you join a map with particles, not just when you first download that map. This just leads to longer load times in general for all players, especially for the people that that already have the map downloaded and would have seen the particles anyways (iirc, this also has the risk of you losing your spot in the small time you are reconnecting like when you do retry in console, rather than getting a guaranteed spot on the server like a normal map change).

I've wanted to do something like this for a while, but I've also wanted it done right. Since any extra unnecessary retries creates confusion for players and higher chances of people losing their slots. Ideally an auto retry plugin would only retry players when 2 conditions are met.

1) The map currently being played is using custom particles.

2) The player had to download the map when joining

#2 would likely require some integration on the FastDL server side that passes the IP addresses of clients that request .bsp.bz2 files to the server and matches them to the player joining. I'm not even sure if this is possible with our CloudFlare implementation, it depends on what's possible with the CF API (admittedly I haven't looked into this).

None of the current auto-retry solutions that exist do #2, at least as far as I know.

I like the way it works on RSS. All players get the "retry" command automatically issued for them each time they connect to the server (and each time after the map changes). But this feature can be easily disabled by a player by entering the "!retry" command in the game chat. Since GFL has the "!retry" command already occupied, another word could be used instead (e.g. "!autoretry").

The result is that noobs always have particles, and when they start wondering if it's possible to disable autoretries, it can be explained to them why it exists and how to do it manually.

On 7/10/2020 at 8:10 PM, Vauff said:

#2 would likely require some integration on the FastDL server side that passes the IP addresses of clients that request .bsp.bz2 files to the server and matches them to the player joining. I'm not even sure if this is possible with our CloudFlare implementation, it depends on what's possible with the CF API (admittedly I haven't looked into this).

OkPVhZk.png

:lenny: