Roy

Recent Performance Issues On GS12

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to briefly address recent performance issues with our GS12 machine. Unfortunately, the machine's processor down-clocked a lot more than I expected at higher load. As of right now, it clocks to 4.3 GHz on all cores at ~50 - 60% load. This is because the processor is getting too hot running all cores at > 4.3 GHz and it needs to down clock. At 20 - 30% load, we see 4.6 - 4.9 GHz on all cores which is what I was hoping we'd get at 50 - 60%+ load. This is resulting in bad performance with servers on GS12 that include all of our Rust servers.

@Xy and I have been talking for the last few hours in voice and we've been talking to our current hosting provider in Texas. We believe we've found a solid solution and will be looking to order a new machine in the next day or so depending on the benchmarks we get back from the hosting provider (which are likely going to suit our needs). Our hosting provider also has better solutions coming at the end of the month that'll result in better cooling. Therefore, we'll be able to get higher clock speeds with the same processor. We will be using the same processor as the GS12 machine (the Intel i9-9900K). However, we'll have higher clock speeds at the same load GS12 is running at (likely > 4.6 GHz).

Once I have another update, I will let you know. I apologize for the poor performance as well. I wasn't expecting the machine to down-clock this much at 50 - 60% load.

Thank you for understanding.

One other thing I wanted to add is we are also looking into using OVH. However, I'd like to know if we can:

1. Overclock their servers with the KVM access given. OVH does water-cooling to my understanding. Therefore, temperatures shouldn't be a big issue.
  2. If they're able to remove ACLs preventing us from using the IPIP program I made that sends traffic back to the client directly by spoofing the traffic as our Anycast network.

My biggest concern is #2. I know OVH can do it since they own all of their infrastructure. However, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to do this given they're a very big company. We would need the ACLs removed since we currently don't have a POP server in the any locations OVH supports. Otherwise, we'd be looking at an additional 10 - 20ms latency being added to the network depending on the POP the OVH machine routes to. If we could get an OVH machine, that'd be awesome though since OVH is one of the most stable hosting providers I've ever used.

Would be nice if we could colocate somewhere too. However, I don't trust myself to build a production server and overclock it since I haven't done that before.

Thanks!

I've ordered the machine from the Texas hosting provider after reviewing the benchmark results. We're going to be offloading servers from GS12 (probably all Rust servers) and ensure to keep the server at <50% load so we'll get the best clock speeds possible.

It is likely we'll have this machine setup by tonight. ACLs are already removed for this hosting provider since we have GS08 and GS09 with them.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Xy said:

GS12 be like: YEPjwq2.png

I wonder why servers on that machine are suffering from performance issues :shrug:

Also, I'm going to talk to our staff to ensure machine load is monitored before putting servers on future machines. We've had a big spike in Rust population recently which is why we're seeing such high load.

Thanks.

Hidden
1 minute ago, Skittlez said:

We've had a big spike in Rust population recently which is why we're seeing such high load.

I'm sorry 😥

I'll make sure we will do better in the future.. by growing to the largest Rust community ever seen! 😄 Thank you so much for this. ❤️ 

1 minute ago, Skittlez said:

I'm sorry 😥

IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT! HOW DARE YOU MANAGE SERVERS THAT HAVE A BIG SPIKE IN POPULATION!