Dominic

Rank Legend

When clicking through the ranks on the rank legend at the bottom of the page, it seems there's information left out. I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but it'd make it a lot easier to navigate if it showed the entire roster of each rank despite other factors. 

For instance, Roy is not shown when you click on Technical Administrator, I assume because he's classified as a Founder. Bae is not shown when you click on the GFX Team, I assume because they're already listed under Event Coordinator. And when you click Writer, it currently shows no one. There's many more instances where I've seen someone holding a certain rank and when I click on it on the legend, they're not there. So it seems that you aren't shown in multiple locations despite holding multiple ranks, from what I can tell. It'd be useful if it showed everyone who holds that rank when you click on it, including the Team Leader. Not only for convenience, but it'll also remedy some of the teams looking understaffed upon first glance from a newcomer. It's also just generally more transparent that way.

It appears that it's not like this on the Staff page, but that page is not as easily located and doesn't show all of the ranks.

That just how it be; changing how IPS group search functions to search and display ALL groups, instead of just PRIMARY groups would require arcane knowledge (probably a shit load of fuckery too...). IMAGINE if Invision Community just provided settings for these things, life would be great.

I'll let this sit out until my brain is big enough or a developer comes along that wants to take up these sort of tasks (just like https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/22451-recruiter/ (not to say I've been forum manager for three years, like that thread has been up for three years)).

Thanks, nonetheless. 

P.S.

A new staff directory is coming (btw, https://gflclan.com/staff/ is the staff directory). This should render the group search useless and I can probably make the group legend at the bottom route to the staff directory instead of using IPS group search. (As you correctly identified, IPS group search only displays users primary groups, the staff page displays primary and secondary).

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, Liloz01 said:

That just how it be; changing how IPS group search functions to search and display ALL groups, instead of just PRIMARY groups would require arcane knowledge (probably a shit load of fuckery too...). IMAGINE if Invision Community just provided settings for these things, life would be great.

I'll let this sit out until my brain is big enough or a developer comes along that wants to take up these sort of tasks (just like https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/22451-recruiter/ (not to say I've been forum manager for three years, like that thread has been up for three years)).

Thanks, nonetheless. 

P.S.

A new staff directory is coming (btw, https://gflclan.com/staff/ is the staff directory). This should render the group search useless and I can probably make the group legend at the bottom route to the staff directory instead of using IPS group search. (As you correctly identified, IPS group search only displays users primary groups, the staff page displays primary and secondary).

Hey @Liloz01 ,

The IPB admins already confirmed they don't want native search to support searching secondary groups as those groups were largely not meant to be public 😞

You can probably improve the search by having HTML anchors just above each group section in your staff directory (generating a unique ID for each anchor via PHP) and directly hyperlinking the staff directory link as part of the ranks in the legend. This way, when people click on the rank in the legend, they are brought to the page and scrolled down to where the team is on the page. Still not perfect, but it's something.

Here's an example (template of staff directory):

{{if \count( $members )}}
		{{if !$staffID}}
			{{$staffID = 1;}}
		{{endif}}
		<a name="{expression="'staffDirectoryTeam' . $staffID"}"></a>
		{{$staffID++;}}
		<section class='ipsBox cStaffDirectory'>
			<h2 class='ipsType_sectionTitle ipsType_reset'>{$group->_title}</h2>
			<div class='ipsPad_half'>
				{template="$group->template" app="core" group="staffdirectory" location="front" params="$members"}
			</div>
		</section>
		<br>
	{{endif}}

You'll have to figure out which team corresponds to which ID, but I doubt you'll be changing up the staff directory often.

Example link: gflclan.com/staff#staffDirectoryTeam1

Wish I could've gotten the link to be something cleaner like /staff#directors, but converting the group title to something without spaces was surprisingly buggy. `str_replace` doesn't work with the template plugin for expressions. LMK if you get it to work on your end. I tried <a name="{expression="str_replace(' ', '', $group->_title)"}"></a>, but the output was still $group->_title.

Hope this helps 🙂 

@fantastic Unfortunate that for a base price of $200/year you aren't allowed, and won't be allowed to natively switch on secondary groups displaying in search results... lol.

More importantly, thanks for the idea, I like it as a temporary band-aid for some groups on the rank legend. I fiddled around a bit with preg_replace("/\s+/", "", $group->_title) and other (rather stupid) things to try and get the whitespaces removed on the group titles but could not. Very odd, but not a deal breaker. 

Here's what I ended up with for the theme hook on \IPS\Theme\class_core_front_staffdirectory:

{{if !isset($staffID)}}
  {{$staffID = 1;}}
{{endif}}
<section class='ipsBox cStaffDirectory'>
  <a name="{expression="'staffGroup' . $staffID"}"></a>
    {{$staffID++;}}
  <h2 class='ipsType_sectionTitle ipsType_reset'>{$group->_title}</h2>
  <div class='ipsPad_half'>
    {template="$group->template" app="core" group="staffdirectory" location="front" params="$members"}
  </div>
</section>

I will implement this change... soonTM. Need to change the "Group Name Indicator" at the bottom of the "Who's Online" widget first.. which is not something I can do by myself.

Thanks again!

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: