Nick

Community Representatives - Will it be you?

Just as a heads up, I'm not sponsoring anyone for a couple of days, so please don't drown my DMs in sponsorship requests.

EDIT: DMs are open again, in case people are wondering.

Pt5iuHl.png

I won't take a photo—I'll tell it through words.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Knives

I would like to nominate someone for the Community Representatives role, if this person is interested in being considered.

This is someone that is a stellar role model, respectful to others, genuine and kind. They are sensitive and rational, and have always been fair to everyone. They are also open-minded in times of conflict. They have other people's backs when help is needed, and would never back-stab anyone. They are also a trusted member in GFL as a server admin.

For this role, I nominate Peach.

I can't think of a more deserving member here. He's a great guy that would represent GFL very well.

Edited by Knives

Good luck to whoever applies! I wish you luck and hopefully you'll be able to work alongside with the others and the community itself! 

pfs.gif.0454852536d8143a5e368e9f7a24a8a4.gif

credits to @Clavers

Achievements

2 hours ago, Knives said:

I would like to nominate someone for the Community Representatives role, if this person is interested in being considered.

This is someone that is a stellar role model, respectful to others, genuine and kind. They are sensitive and rational, and have always been fair to everyone. They are also open-minded in times of conflict. They have other people's backs when help is needed, and would never back-stab anyone. They are also a trusted member in GFL as a server admin.

For this role, I nominate Peach.

I can't think of a more deserving member here. He's a great guy that would represent GFL very well.

Hi @Knives! If possible, could you @ the person you're trying to nominate? I think it's great you've got someone that you trust so much you'd like to get them involved with this. They'd need to put an application in for themselves, as well as get sponsors. 

Good luck to everyone who applies!

I think trying to pull in members is not a terrible idea and is a very noble one; it's great to see admission that's a new idea that's being worked out, which is okay, but the questions I'm asking will hopefully trigger some dialogue.  I do hope it works.

I don't understand why you have Staff positions that are not Council, but they cannot apply for Community Representative.  If they wish to apply and people are interested in voting for them, then why not?  Without the opportunity or potential to become Community Representative...  that makes those positions worse than being a Member almost similar to being a visitor the website without an account.  Even the US Vice President can vote during tie breakers in the Senate.  Plus eliminating that rule is less details to hassle just make things easy and tune only if you have to.

How will you hold people accountable for not fulfilling the 6 months?  Even for non- Community Representative positions we don't seem to hold people responsible nor accountable for their brief time and broken promises (6 months seems quite long); if anything: leaving before being unable to deliver on those promises are have more positive outcomes compared to directly failing in the past, and so we've seen people repeatedly request their former roles and leave again.  I don't think "You will never be able to apply again" is going to do the trick.  We've made plenty of threats like that and it has almost never stood.

Great effort to get community members into Staff discussions.  Another good idea that wouldn't require too much effort is to get Staff into the community.  I'm talking about actually posting (often) on the greater forums in the public eye, pushing hidden discussions out to the public eventually "declassifying" them; also, if they play any games on GFL, then they should play.  Not everybody can be Oz behind the curtains that's just no fun and this makes people feel like the team is full of non-caring robots behind the scenes who only care about the colour on their forum name and a few permissions they'd like to abuse every once in a while.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

You bring up some great points, @Joshy. The idea behind disallowing select groups was that DLs are already getting a few Council spots through Division Representatives. However, one might argue that's unfair to TAs. A minor change could be to only disallow DLs, but then again I think I'd personally prefer just letting anyone apply at that point (as you said) since that's more fair and simple. Definitely something I'll keep in mind for the future.

I don't think people who fail to do their duties should be punished per say. I believe the punishment will come on its own. People will hopefully notice (or we'll have some transparency™) that someone has failed to live up to the responsibility before and thus be more hesitant to vote for them again. Council can keep going without the CRs, but it would be a shame to lose the unique perspectives, so I hope people will keep that in mind when they cast their vote.

I agree that it'd be nice to see more staff playing and interacting with the community. It would definitely make it easier for us to grasp the things we make decisions about. I am trying my best with the time I have to interact as much as possible, and I believe most of staff is. 😄 I also hope that our public Council meetings will help with "declassifying" decisions and allow people to be more engaged in GFL.

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!

• Pyros locked and unlocked this topic
  • Pyros locked this topic