phoenix_

Timer Taking Forever to Load

Heyo,

I've been noticing that on the server that on some maps the timer takes a significant time to load. It can range from anywhere of 30-60 seconds into the map. Unfortunately, I can't find any sort of pattern in terms of the maps that this happens on, it seems very sporadic. Back when I was a manager on another bhop server, we had this issue and it was due to two plugins on the server "conflicting" each other, to put it in simple terms. Do you know why this issue is occurring? Thanks for any info in advance.

Do you know if this has always been a problem or did you start noticing it happening recently?

I believe we've had this same issue with SourceMod timers in the past and it's usually due to the timers themselves not being properly optimized. Not sure if it's the same case, though.

Other than that, I doubt it's anything network-related since I bumped the TCP rate limit up by 4 times recently (and haven't heard of any issues beforehand as well). So unless if the route from our web server to the closest POP is getting screwed (which I just checked and it's fine), I don't believe it's network-related at least (if this was the case, all of our game servers would be seeing issues as well).

Anyways, I'll let the Server Manager(s) and other TAs look into this. Hopefully the above information is helpful to them.

This isn't due to plugins unfortunately. I have done a lot of testing with removing any and all plugins and trying to get the timer to load. Having 0 plugins vs 10 is the same load time. This problem has to do with the optimization of the timer and databases. CSGO Surf unfortunately goes through the same thing. I appreciate your feedback and we will keep looking into solutions.

This is a me thing for the most part. Nothing network related, everything database related. I've been busy with my job, but I have some plans to do optimizations for surf that, if successful, will translate over to bhop as well. Stay tuned.

7 hours ago, Roy said:

Do you know if this has always been a problem or did you start noticing it happening recently?

I believe we've had this same issue with SourceMod timers in the past and it's usually due to the timers themselves not being properly optimized. Not sure if it's the same case, though.

Other than that, I doubt it's anything network-related since I bumped the TCP rate limit up by 4 times recently (and haven't heard of any issues beforehand as well). So unless if the route from our web server to the closest POP is getting screwed (which I just checked and it's fine), I don't believe it's network-related at least (if this was the case, all of our game servers would be seeing issues as well).

Anyways, I'll let the Server Manager(s) and other TAs look into this. Hopefully the above information is helpful to them.

Though ash said he'll try and make improvements in the near future, I felt I should still answer. I honestly only joined GFL about a month-month and a half ago and this problem began popping up a few weeks ago, generally during high pops. It's no secret that SM timers aren't perfect, and I definitely can attest to that from experience. 

1 hour ago, Ash said:

This is a me thing for the most part. Nothing network related, everything database related. I've been busy with my job, but I have some plans to do optimizations for surf that, if successful, will translate over to bhop as well. Stay tuned.

Sounds great, thanks for the update. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, Ash said:

again

Posted  Edited by ekren
On 9/10/2020 at 5:28 AM, phoenix_ said:

It can range from anywhere of 30-60 seconds into the map

sometimes it can take 3+ minutes to load
and profile/ records/ sourcebans can take 10+ minutes to load

Edited by ekren

• 1 month later...