SS PigeonShit

It make no sense

Posted  Edited by SS PigeonShit

So why are players no longer allowed to have the badge symbol next to their names because it falls under admin impersonation but former staff are still allowed to keep their staff-only items (headcrab, banhammer, etc.)? That makes next to no sense. I asked @Harakoni and he just blurted out, "Didn't ask" over his mic in his usual conceited, pretentious tone so that got nowhere ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

spacer.png

Edited by SS PigeonShit

Posted  Edited by Zexired - Edit Reason: Harakoni explained it pretty well imo

Same reason players can't have the Admin tag next to their name, it's a blatant indicator of their staff status, the Shield linecon is also a clear and universal indicator of staff. The Banhammer weapon & headcrab hat are more of a status symbol than anything. Shows contribution, per-say.

Why can former VIP's still access the Playermodels, hats and masks they bought?
Why can members still wear Halloween/Christmas event items after Halloween & Christmas?
Why can people wear their event items that they won after an event is over?

Edited by Zexired
Harakoni explained it pretty well imo

On a lot of other servers the Admin Shield is for ONLY ADMINS because it shows who is admin who is not. For newer players who do not know who are admins and who are not, they will most likely not know the command !showadmins. So it is very confusing to people. There is no argument for why VIPs should have access to it

Posted  Edited by DragoonMCL

Eh, I sort of agree with Pigeon. If you wanted to make sure if any active Admins are on, then you could just create an Automatic Chat Message (ACM) that says "To see if any Admins are In-Game, then type !showadmins." It's a pretty simple idea, and it would stop worries about people trying to impersonate an Admin. The Shield is more of a cosmetic for me. Just because it shows that players are Admins on some servers (This isn't the case for most other GFL Gmod Servers, [I mean that they allow it, from what I know] at least, to my knowledge) doesn't mean that it has to be like that for ALL servers. I believe that you should either give VIP's each and every single Icon, or just remove the feature entirely, just like TTT MC did. You know, because there is no argument for why VIP's should have it, but it's the same thing for Staff Members. There's no need for them to have the shield if they just keep their default tag, and if there was an ACM that notified players about the !showadmins command in order to prevent people from abusing it, then... Everything would be perfect.

TL;DR: It's redundant to have access to a feature like *this*, which allows people to break the rules. Reinforcing my earlier opinion, you should either allow tag icons, or you should remove tag icons.

Edited by DragoonMCL

[Signature]

Achievements

3 hours ago, SiraidOwO said:

On a lot of other servers the Admin Shield is for ONLY ADMINS because it shows who is admin who is not. For newer players who do not know who are admins and who are not, they will most likely not know the command !showadmins. So it is very confusing to people. There is no argument for why VIPs should have access to it

But even that logic is flawed because 1) it requires admins to have to type in chat to prove they are admins and in the case of someone like MBS who is afk for hours at a time, can't/won't respond, and 2) !showadmins is updated like, once a year and it's currently incorrect anyways so that's not much help either.

1 hour ago, DragoonMCL said:

It's redundant to have access to a feature that allows people to break the rules. Reinforcing my earlier opinion, you should either allow tag icons, or you should remove tag icons.

The easiest solution would be to restrict shields from being usable, which is what I've been working on these past few days along with making the entire !tags addon better. That'd be far easier and makes more sense than any other solutions on this thread.

qnix.png.4b4cea59155ffb8a165ce00aa720ca5b.png
20190420010737_1.jpg.d63dd580a9f25a35e1c6bbf07f89e211.jpg
20180814170309_1.jpg.d18aa44d9132ed1a95d71307b194aed3.jpg20180720003140_1.jpg.4a88b6abb1b8009435e9233f07868cce.jpg20180810195200_1.jpg.46f21405349b2517c45d1309332acd87.jpg 

b_560x95.png

5 hours ago, Zexired said:

Why can former VIP's still access the Playermodels, hats and masks they bought?
Why can members still wear Halloween/Christmas event items after Halloween & Christmas?
Why can people wear their event items that they won after an event is over?

The VIP stuff at least I have the same argument that if you're no longer VIP, you should no longer have access to it, discourages donations to remain VIP. But that being said, that may just be an HNS thing because I know a few other GFL servers do take your cosmetics away when you're no longer VIP, but that's only 2 or 3 of them.

1 hour ago, Fafy said:

The easiest solution would be to restrict shields from being usable, which is what I've been working on these past few days along with making the entire !tags addon better. That'd be far easier and makes more sense than any other solutions on this thread.

I think that it was stupid to even stop allowing people to use Shields, then. Just tell the people with Shields "Hey, you're going to get your access from the Shields removed because we said so, have fun."

Edited by DragoonMCL

[Signature]

Achievements

"Wait so we can no longer modify our tags to use an icon called 'Admin Shield' as a VIP perk, which is used on the vast majority of Gmod servers to indicate a status of a moderation or administrative role which as a result makes it the most widely known indication of a staff member, and as a result people will think us feature abusing VIPs are an admin allowing us to fuck around with them which has definitely not already happened on HnS, even though we use the shield to indicate admin status of all administrative roles and thus abusing the tags system to have us equip the shield would cause confusion between annoying VIPs and actual Staff?"
"Yes"
"But that makes no sense because no actual reason!111!1!!!!1!"

Why are people like this. 

5 hours ago, SS PigeonShit said:

But even that logic is flawed because 1) it requires admins to have to type in chat to prove they are admins and in the case of someone like MBS who is afk for hours at a time, can't/won't respond, and 2) !showadmins is updated like, once a year and it's currently incorrect anyways so that's not much help either.

!showadmins cant be updated it shows the admins currently on the server

7 hours ago, DragoonMCL said:

Eh, I sort of agree with Pigeon. If you wanted to make sure if any active Admins are on, then you could just create an Automatic Chat Message (ACM) that says "To see if any Admins are In-Game, then type !showadmins." It's a pretty simple idea, and it would stop worries about people trying to impersonate an Admin. The Shield is more of a cosmetic for me. Just because it shows that players are Admins on some servers (This isn't the case for most other GFL Gmod Servers, [I mean that they allow it, from what I know] at least, to my knowledge) doesn't mean that it has to be like that for ALL servers. I believe that you should either give VIP's each and every single Icon, or just remove the feature entirely, just like TTT MC did. You know, because there is no argument for why VIP's should have it, but it's the same thing for Staff Members. There's no need for them to have the shield if they just keep their default tag, and if there was an ACM that notified players about the !showadmins command in order to prevent people from abusing it, then... Everything would be perfect.

TL;DR: It's redundant to have access to a feature that allows people to break the rules. Reinforcing my earlier opinion, you should either allow tag icons, or you should remove tag icons.

when you say have feature that allows people to break rules, there are MANY that do the same thing, for example unstuck, you can easily use unstuck do get into a spot you cannot get to without unstuck. but then there are times you need unstuck if there are no on online to slay or bring you. So saying that didnt really help

40 minutes ago, SiraidOwO said:

!showadmins cant be updated it shows the admins currently on the server

Maybe I'm confusing my commands but I'm pretty sure !showadmins opens a link to the forums and shows all of the current staff of that particular server, online or otherwise.

1 hour ago, Harakoni said:

an icon called 'Admin Shield' as a VIP perk, which is used on the vast majority of Gmod servers to indicate a status of a moderation or administrative role which as a result makes it the most widely known indication of a staff member

I understand that, but how hard is it to ask:

"Hey, are you an admin?"

"No"

"But you have the badge icon"

"Yeah, that's just an icon"

"Understandable"

Especially when you consider that staff don't have to use that icon. They can change it to whatever they like. So it's not even a reliable indicator of staff when staff don't have to use it. And I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just saying if the reason for this being done is not to stop admin impersonation but rather but help people better identify who is staff, it's being done poorly. At least IMO it was much better when admins had an indicator next to their name in the player menu/tab. That way they don't need to type in chat to show they are staff.

Edited by SS PigeonShit

1 minute ago, SS PigeonShit said:

I understand that, but how hard is it to ask:

"Hey, are you an admin?"

"No"

"But you have the badge icon"

"Yeah, that's just an icon"

"Understandable"

Especially when you consider that staff don't have to use that icon. They can change it to whatever they like. So it's not even a reliable indicator of staff when staff don't have to use it.

"Hey, are you an admin? You got a badge on your tag"
"Yes" - Not an admin
"Can I do X thing that is against the rules and ruins player experience"
"Yes" - Again, not an admin

I believe it is a reliable indicator of staff, if an admin doesn't change it, it defaults to the shield icon.

qnix.png.4b4cea59155ffb8a165ce00aa720ca5b.png
20190420010737_1.jpg.d63dd580a9f25a35e1c6bbf07f89e211.jpg
20180814170309_1.jpg.d18aa44d9132ed1a95d71307b194aed3.jpg20180720003140_1.jpg.4a88b6abb1b8009435e9233f07868cce.jpg20180810195200_1.jpg.46f21405349b2517c45d1309332acd87.jpg 

b_560x95.png

Yeah, but... Just make a goddamn ACM that tells people "Type !showadmins if you don't want to be duped by a rule-breaking loser", and everything will be better.

Note: This doesn't JUST talk about the thing for the Shield. In fact, I'm actually trying to recommend something that limits impersonation.

Edit: Before anyone types anything more, I'm just going to stop talking about the Shield thing. I've already expressed my opinion, but I don't want to cause any debates, and in all honesty, it's better if we all just stop right here before this could get out of hand with back and forth replies, or, rather, one-way replies on this post.

Edited by DragoonMCL

[Signature]

Achievements

1 hour ago, Fafy said:

"Hey, are you an admin? You got a badge on your tag"
"Yes" - Not an admin

"Hey, are you an admin? *does not have a badge at all*"
"Yes" - Not an admin

It still goes back to that if this is truly being done to curb admin impersonation/help point out staff, there are far better ways to do the latter at least. Far far better.

Edited by SS PigeonShit