Ben

[Feedback] Moderation Rules and Punishment Guidelines

• 2 months later...
Posted  Edited by Joshy - Edit Reason: Clarifying that doesn't have to be exact to example

I would like to propose rescaling some of the rules.

I feel like some rules can quickly earn a person a permanent ban and especially if they are caught in the moment.  When I say caught in the moment I feel like people are able to come back too soon while the problem is still fresh, and so the fire is still burning and they are likely to repeat the problem.  Say for instance someone gets a mute for minor spam... odds are they aren't going to learn from their lesson after a 4h mute.  They quickly get a 4h or 12h, which is a tiny cooldown period; then for all practical purposes it's forever...  I feel like it can too quickly escalate to a permanent ban.

mDjutvp.png

I think the problem is that the cooldown period is too short, and so these 4h or 12h punishments are not serving their purpose; the person is unlikely to reform.  I would rather frontload the larger punishments and scale it out.  This way the person has a better chance to improve and a permanent ban doesn't have to be based on a small period or possibly one really bad day.

CUdnDXC.png

My thoughts on permanent bans are consistent too.  I've made comments here, and even a thread on it before too.  I'm personally okay with banning someone once per year if they are a trouble maker (I mean if it's something illegal or horribly gross, then fine make it permanent without question).

edit:

It doesn't have to be scaled exactly to the example above.  The bottom line here is that I would like to add at least one more intermediate steps to some of the rules that have a short cooldown period before leading to permanent ban.

edit:

This didn't get enough support through the Senior Moderator team so it'll be considered a rejected idea for now.

Edited by Joshy
Clarifying that doesn't have to be exact to example

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

• 1 month later...
Posted  Edited by Joshy

Minor update to the "spamming" in the forum rules.  Added:

Misusing or abusing the report feature will be considered as spam.

Noted with the team that if a more severe rule is broken while misusing the report feature to follow the more severe guidelines.

edit:

Additional update to spamming on Discord rules now uses verbiage to include screamer or scare mp4 videos.

Edited by Joshy

• 3 weeks later...

Restriction in punishment guidelines is no longer a thing, will instead be punished with mute. See Rule 6, minor punishment as example. 

76561198043643390.png

• 3 months later...

A new Discord rule have been added. The change is being rolled out throughout the Discord slowly. Refer in the thread: link

For the lazy: 

10. Moderators have the final say:

Listen to the Moderators, they have the final say. If they ask you to stop, then stop. Failure to do so will follow with a mute.

For Punishment on Advertising:

12 hour mute

76561198043643390.png

• 3 weeks later...

I think you bring up a good point and a tricky scenario.  It would be hard to give a generalized answer and so context and history would really matter.

The generalized answer not considering specific scenarios is that the purpose of this rule isn't meant to be a punishment... it's more so to get the situation under control, and to discourage people from interfering with that.  That being said it doesn't mean that we'll eliminate the punishment (otherwise it wouldn't be very good at discouraging people from doing it).  More often than not this rule is going to be benefitting the community, but there's no denying that all of the rules will have a few challenges to work with (and a lot of hypotheticals); however: if a statement is so civil, then why the high risk of it sparking more fighting?  That would be hard for me to understand although I have open ears through the proper channels- namely an appeal.  If you were to receive a mute that you disagreed with, then you could make an appeal and we could discuss why your case didn't fall into the generalized category.