Rhysin_

Minigames Gamemode Suggestion

Posted  Edited by BlazingArson

I know GFL is probably more focused on the EU expansion i've seen mentioned before than more gmod gamemodes, but I'm gonna suggest this anyway.
Minigames is a pretty fun gamemode I've played a few times, and I'd like to be able to play it with the GFL community.
It's not a very popular gamemode, but I think it has a lot of potential.
The specific version of the gamemode I'm talking about is this edited version: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1471687594&searchtext=Minigames
It has a few upgrades from the og gamemode 
I also found this map pack for it: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2175123226&
I've played on the creator of the edited gamemodes server a bit and it's pretty fun and works well.
The maps aren't perfect but the ones i've played on work.
It's like a bunch of gamemodes crammed into each other
A problem ive had is gamemodes not being explained before they start
but other than that it's worked well for me
I'm very bad at suggesting things
But yeah
minigame server pls : D

Edited by BlazingArson

1023626940_forumsignature.thumb.png.6378b8a403e329b9a4bf21267af67896.png
Made by @Clavers

I like MG.

I know it's a type of mode that often struggles with population.  Any comments about that?  I personally don't think all gamemodes have to be high pop to do well or offer it's value, but curious if you've seen differently elsewhere or if you feel like the culture for a GMOD version would be different.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

1 minute ago, Joshy said:

I like MG.

I know it's a type of mode that often struggles with population.  Any comments about that?  I personally don't think all gamemodes have to be high pop to do well or offer it's value, but curious if you've seen differently elsewhere or if you feel like the culture for a GMOD version would be different.

You're right, MG is typically low population, and on GMod there's only one active server out of like 2 servers that exist. Though I feel like, given a little push, this server could be pretty popular. The solo active server seems to at least get half population on average (12/24), and the ping I get on there is crazy high, so I'm pretty sure its not hosted in America, where a lot of gmod players are. The one active server is also not very well managed, doesn't have any "pulls" in the pointshop, and just other things that contribute to it not being super popular. I think a well managed server on this gamemode could be decently popular.

Made by @Clavers

Any chance you could recommend a few maps?  I have no say on these things just want to try to help your suggestion 🙂 

MG sounds like a good events related thing too.  I bet you could host a few events?

Just now, Joshy said:

Any chance you could recommend a few maps?  I have no say on these things just want to try to help your suggestion 🙂 

MG sounds like a good events related thing too.  I bet you could host a few events?

Most of the ones in the map pack I put in my suggestion are good maps, however some are echos of each other.
my favorite on that map pack so far is mg_lt_galaxy_v5
though the maps are hard to pick out by name.
(There's also this 2nd map pack I just found https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2175133714)

I wasn't even thinking about events, but that could be a good idea. Though, most of the maps are an assortment of minigames put into one map, some have a vote system to choose the round, others choose at random, some are just one minigame, which can be a drag if its a bad one. I probably could go through some of the maps and see if there are some that would make for good events.

Made by @Clavers

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I'm going to move this to where other Suggestions are made and added the gmod tag for clarify.  Dang!  I left a link to the old place by accident too 😞 checkbox by default is usually off, but it was there and noticed while it was loading after I clicked.  Whoops!

Edited by Joshy

1 hour ago, Joshy said:

I'm going to move this to where other Suggestions are made and added the gmod tag for clarify.  Dang!  I left a link to the old place by accident too 😞 checkbox by default is usually off, but it was there and noticed while it was loading after I clicked.  Whoops!

Smart. Only put it in the gmod section cause I saw a different gamemode suggestion there.

Made by @Clavers

Even when there were active servers back in 2014, the gamemode was more a place for friends to hang out and have a few rounds of fun, and now that there's no real active servers it's just a forgotten legend. I feel there will be no point as it won't be able to hold a playerbase

Achievements

1 minute ago, Duck. said:

Even when there were active servers back in 2014, the gamemode was more a place for friends to hang out and have a few rounds of fun, and now that there's no real active servers it's just a forgotten legend. I feel there will be no point as it won't be able to hold a playerbase

I'm confused because the gamemode was made in 2016 (edited version I'm suggesting in 2018). I believe with a little push it could get a decent playerbase, nothing fantastic but it could do better than the servers we've had to close (murder, nzombies). 

Made by @Clavers

Posted  Edited by Duck.
6 minutes ago, BlazingArson said:

I'm confused because the gamemode was made in 2016 (edited version I'm suggesting in 2018). I believe with a little push it could get a decent playerbase, nothing fantastic but it could do better than the servers we've had to close (murder, nzombies). 

Might've been 2016 idk I've been at this gmod thing for years so the years just blend

Edit: Wait I'm not crazy, the original minigames was 2013

Edited by Duck.

Achievements

18 minutes ago, Duck. said:

Might've been 2016 idk I've been at this gmod thing for years so the years just blend

That looks like a ton of fun!!

1 hour ago, Duck. said:

Ah ok, earliest one i saw was 2016 but i didnt look very hard. 

Made by @Clavers

Speaking from experience on communities that expanded to practically dead gamemodes (imo), sadly the activity you would see is purely from members of the community playing for a short period when the server is new, before the server just straight up dies. This has two effects, a) you get a dead server in < 1 month and b) other servers lose regular members whilst being on the new server.

From memory I played a few rounds of minigames and whilst it's fun, it's certainly not an active gamemode. I doubt a server would attract new people from outside the community but could be different circumstances in America, so can't be certain.

(But this is just my 2 cents on the matter and who tf am I so feel free to ignore)

That being said it would be cool to have as like an event server that is open for a short time every so often as opposed to being on all the time

20 minutes ago, feldma said:

Speaking from experience on communities that expanded to practically dead gamemodes (imo), sadly the activity you would see is purely from members of the community playing for a short period when the server is new, before the server just straight up dies. This has two effects, a) you get a dead server in < 1 month and b) other servers lose regular members whilst being on the new server.

From memory I played a few rounds of minigames and whilst it's fun, it's certainly not an active gamemode. I doubt a server would attract new people from outside the community but could be different circumstances in America, so can't be certain.

(But this is just my 2 cents on the matter and who tf am I so feel free to ignore)

That being said it would be cool to have as like an event server that is open for a short time every so often as opposed to being on all the time

I personally really don't think that it'd just die. As I've been saying it really just needs a push and some announcements and the server could hold a decent population. The gamemode is only dead because noone knows it exists, it's a really good gamemode with a few minor bugs (like the guns not having recoil). Maybe this is just my undying love for Minigame gamemodes speaking, but I have a hard time seeing this just die if it's managed well.
I see the concern but I genuinely think it could do decently if done right.

Made by @Clavers

Sure, given enough advertising within the community it would probably hold a steady population (I'd argue only for a short time, but that's just in my view).

The issue with niche servers like this is that the entire playerbase comes purely from members already part of the community, which means the community won't experience any growth because of it. Naturally that's not an issue for the players (just management), but that's the area I worked in so I apologise lol

I have no issues with the gamemode and agree it's fun, it's just a matter of whether it'll contribute to the community. Naturally if a lot of people actually want it then its good, but if it's more management having to actively promote it to try and keep it somewhat active then it's likely not overall that good of a server to permanently have.

Posted  Edited by BlazingArson

Understandable, and valid viewpoint.
We recently lost Murder and nZombies, one of those being replaced with GMod Among Us, so I don't think it'd really hurt to give Minigames a shot at replacing the other. However, Idk what it costs the community to set up a whole new server, so take that with a grain of salt.
I've said what I wanted, and understand the population concerns, I'll not be making more replies unless asked to.

Edited by BlazingArson

Made by @Clavers

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Another sales pitch or approach might not necessarily if it can attract more members into the community, but how much happier it might make current community members.  It might enhance their experience here and make them more willing to tolerate some things they might not like from time to time (it happens) or maybe they'll be want to more involved.  There can be an indirect benefit 🙂 I think it's worth championing for this if you think you would really like it as well as a few other members.  Of course: You would want the enjoyment and benefits to be a long lasting effect and not a one or two time hit.

edit:

I recommend if you've brought this up to 2-3 friends if they might like the idea try to get them to post on here saying they'd like it and would play the game.  I don't know why, but a lot of people are reluctant to post...  kind of defeats the purpose of the forums.  Encourage them to share their idea or join you.  I think you can do it.  If a few more people post saying they like the idea it might show some promise to the leadership.

Edited by Joshy

• 6 months later...

This is a fantastic idea and I'll bring it up to yog right away 

what the fuck are you looking at? I don't do GFL anymore besides the discord

• 2 weeks later...