Fidler_2k

possible solution for map playtime balance

Posted  Edited by Fidler_2k

Is it possible to have some sort of plugin that detects when a map goes over 6% of our total map picks such as santa? (no map has ever crossed the 8% threshold previously) Santa being at 10% of our total playtime for the server's map picks is unprecedented  and we need more variation. Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Edited by Fidler_2k

4 hours ago, Zoom said:

This is ridiculous, why don't we just remove santa since it's the map that poeple kept voting for??:lenny:

Bring back the point system, make special maps like santa cost 99999 points to nominate, bam done. Also implement random maps to be nominated without user interaction, we have too many maps unplayed

Not really a troll post, zoom and shiki are just being smarta**es. But back to my original post; There are a handful of people that nominate the same maps (including me) and those are the only maps that are usually picked. So yes people are voting for the maps they want, but out of those handful of nominations they are always force fed. I'm not saying i have a solution, but maybe maps that we play too much could have a longer refresh time for nomination?

Edited by Fidler_2k

10 hours ago, Fidler_2k said:

Not really a troll post, zoom and shiki are just being smarta**es. But back to my original post; There are a handful of people that nominate the same maps (including me) and those are the only maps that are usually picked. So yes people are voting for the maps they want, but out of those handful of nominations they are always force fed. I'm not saying i have a solution, but maybe maps that we play too much could have a longer refresh time for nomination?

I don't know.

I feel like part of the reason that santa is played so much is that we haven't really beaten all of it.

The problem with ZE, that I've noticed, is that the amount of new maps we get has slowed down quite a bit. The solution to playing the same few maps over and over again is to make more challenging ZE maps that take a while to beat.

So I suspect that Magmadrake will become something that's played rather frequently. It's going to be a real challenge from what it seems.

"Be good people"

Try hard maps like santa are mostly played during late afternoon or night time when the team is good. Other normal maps are still played during other time of the day on the server. I don't see any problem with that and we have a good nomination system on the server. If you like the next map u stay if you don't just leave and do something else. Just because you usually play around that time and people voted for the maps that you don't like doesn't mean we should go play jurrasic park when we have a team that can potentially beat santa

Posted  Edited by foreX
2 hours ago, Zoom said:

when we have a team that can potentially beat santa

LOL! :klappa: 

Didn't Kim Kardashian increase the counter before a map could be re-nominated earlier in the year. There was a post on the old forums on the same issue regarding Frostdrake. That's the easy fix.

Otherwise, why don't YOU offer to write the plugin yourself? You're learning to code anyway. It'd be a nice side project for your portfolio and if you pitch in enough I promise you'll finally get a reserved slot. Two birds, one stone.

edit: While you're at it Fidler, you should write a new plugin for the points system too. I think Mapedores has a nice one that you could use for an example. Happy coding!

Edited by foreX

4 hours ago, Zoom said:

Try hard maps like santa are mostly played during late afternoon or night time when the team is good. Other normal maps are still played during other time of the day on the server. I don't see any problem with that and we have a good nomination system on the server. If you like the next map u stay if you don't just leave and do something else. Just because you usually play around that time and people voted for the maps that you don't like doesn't mean we should go play jurrasic park when we have a team that can potentially beat santa

I wasn't talking about when i play, look at the stats, it's all the time lol. The frequency in which we play Santa is higher than any other map has ever been (yes even higher than Gris, Wanderers, etc.)

3 hours ago, Crusty said:

Basically this topic just says, I hate playing tryhard maps, lets just nominate all the easiest maps and only play them.

I like playing tryhard maps, but not the same one over and over again (server plays it at all times)

Posted  Edited by Crusty

@Fidler_2k I completely agree and I will talk to Delta about this. I mean the only thing I say to do is change it from every 15 maps to 20 or 25.

Edited by Crusty

etLqFFt.gif

Achievements

2 hours ago, foreX said:

LOL! :klappa: 

Didn't Kim Kardashian increase the counter before a map could be re-nominated earlier in the year. There was a post on the old forums on the same issue regarding Frostdrake. That's the easy fix.

Otherwise, why don't YOU offer to write the plugin yourself? You're learning to code anyway. It'd be a nice side project for your portfolio and if you pitch in enough I promise you'll finally get a reserved slot. Two birds, one stone.

edit: While you're at it Fidler, you should write a new plugin for the points system too. I think Mapedores has a nice one that you could use for an example. Happy coding!

Like I said I don't exactly have a solution, this was more of a thread for suggestions and feedback. We play one map (as a percentage of all maps picked) more than we have for any other map in the past. I agree with Pull that the reasoning behind this may be because the rate of new maps being released is slower but don't think just because it is voted for all the time means that a majority truly wants to play it over other tryhard maps. (handful of people nominate the same maps, pick the best of all options, etc).

Edited by Fidler_2k

And one more point, when i bring this up every argument seems to be based off of personal opinion. I look at the percentage and it stands out as too high (and like I said it is the highest that any map has ever been which is a fact not an opinion) and the argument usually is: "Well people want that map if it's played so much" or "You want to play easy maps and not tryhard maps." I think there are about 10 people that nominate their personal favorite maps each time and no one else gets the chance (or knows how) to nominate the maps they want to play. So you present a crowd of mostly non-regulars with a list of force fed maps that the regular nomination-hogging players pick and of course they will select Santa every single time (or some other frequently played map such as Wanderers). I know I'm not excluded from this group because I always nominate "shit" maps such as heli or escape the eye but I think this argument goes for all. 

Edited by Fidler_2k

If map cooldown is at 15 already it should be impossible for a map to be played 10% of the time unless the server restarts. Increasing cooldown won't help because the server will continue to crash and free up all the maps to be nominated.

2 hours ago, DUSTY said:

If map cooldown is at 15 already it should be impossible for a map to be played 10% of the time unless the server restarts. Increasing cooldown won't help because the server will continue to crash and free up all the maps to be nominated.

It is possible, because with maps like santa, we frequently do max extends. With a lot of other maps, we either rtv early or just play it for the 20 minutes.

Posted  Edited by foreX

We play santa so much because people want to play santa. There are tons of casuals who want to play specific maps during the few hours of free time they have after work or school.  I PERSONALLY don't see the problem with the playtime as long as the server stays full because people enjoy it.

The server is bound to crash because of all the maps & plugins, but don't underestimate the amount of maps that get RTV'd before 15 minutes throughout the day. Many well made maps get RTV'd because they're constantly and quickly losing. 

Another suggestion for a fix would be to limit nominations to VIP only. You'd cut down on sh*t nominations thus increasing nominations being randomized. It'd possibly inspire more people to buy VIP. 

Edited by foreX

Back then when we tried to beat frostdrake we play it every night during the summer because people want to beat it. There are times that server really likes one map and that's what drives people to play on GFL.  You are trying to create a "perfect" map playtime distribution that every map's played equally in term of playtime. That's just not gonna happen unless you make a plugin that kicks maps that have higher playtime off the nomination list, and then you lose most of the regulars so goodluck winning tryhard maps.:lenny:

3 hours ago, foreX said:

We play santa so much because people want to play santa. There are tons of casuals who want to play specific maps during the few hours of free time they have after work or school.  I PERSONALLY don't see the problem with the playtime as long as the server stays full because people enjoy it.

The server is bound to crash because of all the maps & plugins, but don't underestimate the amount of maps that get RTV'd before 15 minutes throughout the day. Many well made maps get RTV'd because they're constantly and quickly losing. 

Another suggestion for a fix would be to limit nominations to VIP only. You'd cut down on sh*t nominations thus increasing nominations being randomized. It'd possibly inspire more people to buy VIP. 

You are going full dictator here forex. It's fine for other people to nominate maps, but I personally vouch for:

- Nomination limit, should be 3 only. The other 2 maps should be randomly chosen

- Have a 2 minutes delay before you can nominate a map so that other people can have a chance to nominate too

- Force people to play 60 minutes straight so that they can nominate maps

3rd opinion is heavily inspired from PSE, which I see is perfectly fine