blacklabelled

Lag?

Posted  Edited by blacklabelled

Odd one, I'm showing a 31 ping in lobby. When I join server I'm showing 150+ and experiencing lag. Usually I get around 30-40 in game on GFL. tried multiple PCs. Ran a speedtest to a NY server on speedtest.net - pinging around 50, 250+mbps down - eliminates a routing issue on the east coast (I'm Toronto). Other servers on CS:S in game showing pings similar to lobby.

GFL seems to be the only server I'm having this problem on tonight. Any suggestions? I'm not sure how where to move forward to troubleshoot the issue. I suspect a server restart would fix, but I'm also seeing alot of the Regs get decent pings at the time of writing this.

FYI: My custom rate settings have not changed, so I do not suspect them to be an issue

image.thumb.png.a3473b488132395158f24feba7454827.png

*Update, pings looking a little high across the board. SS attached

GFL Surf server, joined as a test. Lobby showing 35 ping, in game showing 75. Didn't check server location, but perhaps my ISP is having some routing issues, or GFL sever provider having some issues? 

Not sure, a little stumped. Going to game and deal with lag, hopefully resolves itself in short term. Will report back tomorrow if problem persists

Edited by blacklabelled

As for the latency shown in the server browser being lower than in-game, this is due to A2S_INFO caching we have enabled on our Anycast network for each POP server. I explain what A2S_INFO caching is in the Google Doc I made here along with this post on the website. I'm not expecting anybody to agree with why we have it enabled and I completely understand why, but it's the choice I made when making the network as I explained in the Google Doc.

I just wanted to clear that out since I'm sure you're confused as to why in-game you're seeing higher latency than the server browser. You're basically receiving the latency from you to the closest POP server within the in-game server browser.

Anyways, you said you were located in Toronto and our CS:S Dust2 server is hosted within NYC. Therefore, you should still have lower latency in-game anyways (probably around 30 - 40ms). I believe the issue here is either the route from the POP server to our NYC machine (since the POP server forwards game server traffic to the game server machine itself in NYC) or the route from the game server machine to you since as of right now, we send traffic from our game server machines back directly to the client (which is inconsistent and can either cause potentially better latency or worse latency since it'd be going back a different route within a different network, but it's the only option we have right now until I develop the new packet processing/filtering software which will be done in the near future).

Are you using a VPN to connect to the website? If not, I can perform trace routes and MTRs from the NYC machine to your public IPv4 address if this is the case along with testing from the POP you're routing through to the NYC machine. Otherwise, would you be able to DM me your public IPv4 address you can retrieve from here? Additionally, can you confirm which POP you route through by performing either a trace route or MTR to any IP on our Anycast network (92.119.148.0/24, so you can use the CS:S Dust2 IP which is 92.119.148.87)? I made a tutorial on how to do this which can be found below and please provide the results to me through DM if possible.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/15/2021 at 5:00 AM, IGOR85 said:

i noticed it says my ping is high but when I play theres no lag! I'm confused I read above still confused.

that means you move in pictures for the other players