Serenity

If we return back to rotation...

A lot of you have brought back up the topic of rotation after a few weeks of us reverting back. After having some time to try out 24/7 B5 again, some of you would like if we returned back to rotating maps for the foreseeable future. If we were to do this, we wanted to gauge some opinions on how it should be done. For example, would you guys prefer if we went back to an automatic map cycle or an RTV kind of thing? Also what maps do you enjoy and which ones do you dislike. 

State your opinions down below.

Achievements

I think having a map vote/RTV system is best, with a map pool consisting of all the maps that were running from before the switch to 24/7 b5. Use the first couple weeks to determine which maps get voted for the most and streamline the list accordingly.

once in a lifetime.gif

Honestly I wouldn't mind something like a 4-5 ish map rotation because b5 is fun and all but just staying on the same thing gets boring, making less players want to play. 

Posted  Edited by Roger Gunshot

A rotation of 4-8 maps would work best, potentially with a map vote function at a round before the maps actually change to vote on which map to go to. You'd be unable to vote for the map that it was a change prior, so it would force you to change to a new map regardless. As for the !rtv function, add it for supporter+ only, and implement a 2-3 round cooldown from the time when one person does an !rtv to the time another person can do an !rtv. I feel like a more randomized rotation of maps would be better as opposed to a set in stone rotation. Potential maps could be:

B5, obviously

Terminal

Community Pool

Haven

Minecraft City

Redux/Fish and Ships

HOWEVER, I'm still not convinced that the drop in players has something to do with whether we're B5 only or an MC rotational server. We're at the point where midterms are going on, finals aren't too far away, and people are likely focusing on those rather than playing TTT. Prior to the switch to rotational, we had a higher average player count on B5 only than we did on the rotations. When we switched to the rotation, we were originally told that it would be temporary to test it out, and then it just never changed. So, at this point, we need to make a decision that we will either STAY as a B5 only server, or STAY as an MC rotation server. Nobody is ever going to be happy regardless of what happens, but switching back and forth between rotation/B5/rotation/B5 is not the answer in my opinion. We've gotta pick one and stick with it. Both have their issues, obviously. B5 is just a single map and it can get boring after a while. However, it worked for years and years and had a steady playerbase and several regulars that were lost once it switched to rotation. Rotation seemed to attract more toxicity from what I saw and dealt with than B5 did. It did give us another group of regulars that people are concerned about losing as well.

At the end of the day, I believe B5 to be the better option in the long run because like I said earlier, I'm still not convinced that external factors are not playing a larger role than thought, but I'm not gonna complain or anything about the server becoming rotation. I honestly don't care that much about whether or not we stay on B5 or go back to rotation. Whatever happens though it HAS to be permanent. Not everyone is going to be happy regardless of what happens, so we'll just have to stick to our guns about whatever is decided.

TLDR: It's impossible to make everyone happy, whatever is decided has to be permanent, don't bitch if you don't get your way.

Edited by Roger Gunshot

image.thumb.png.2ef4bb5d1eba87658f3aa07bcdc16760.png

Signature by @Auralanity

Posted  Edited by flying4ssassin
33 minutes ago, Klordix said:

🤮

Anyway my answer to the question asked is that yes I feel like we should return to rotation with RTV which I have been saying for the past few months of rotation. I agree with Roger about the !rtv being limited to being started by supporters+, but not really the maps. I feel that right now we should be focusing on whether to change and if it is decided that we should then we should worry about the particular maps (even though the ones before the switch smacked).

Edited by flying4ssassin

b_560_95_1.png

Posted  Edited by Serenity
1 hour ago, Roger Gunshot said:

So, at this point, we need to make a decision that we will either STAY as a B5 only server, or STAY as an MC rotation server.

I agree, I don't think it's very fair to judge if 24/7 B5 is working on not due to the server not popping the past 2 or 3 days. Though overall it didn’t increase our average player count as much as I wanted it too. This thread was kind of for, if Loke and I decide that we want to officially stick to rotation from here on out, we would get some feedback on how we would go about it. I 100% agree that if a switch is made or kept we will not be changing again. At this point anymore changes could hurt the server and we don't want that.

Edited by Serenity

Achievements

Adding a rtv to rotational map pool would be nice, I literally enjoy any map that is playable for me, I really like mc nuke town 0.0 if you’d consider adding that map, I enjoyed mc office but others didn’t, inno motel is a classic, can’t go wrong 

Map cycle. If we do !rtv, only certain maps will be spammed played and if other people like less popular maps, they'll never get to play it. If there is a rotation, then people will know when their favorite maps come up and can play then.

I think that many things work for years, but eventually times change. Horses worked for years and now we fly in planes.

We should bring the rotation back as a map cycle to start out. RTV should be discussed down the line, should be separate change if happens.

My dream map rotation:

- ttt_minecraft_b5
- ttt_minecraftmotel_b2u
- ttt_minecraftcity_v4f_r2_xn
- ttt_mc_community_pool_b3
- ttt_mc_nuketown_b1
- ttt_mc_dolls_bdcraft_gfl_v2
- ttt_mc_67thway
- ttt_drybonesvillage

I expressed before the change that in 2019, this server was dead every single night. I predicted that it would happen again, and it has. I don't believe this to be due to exams, or a short term issue. I was waiting before speaking up to let the numbers speak for themselves, but they basically have since the beginning tbh.

As someone who was an outsider, visiting many gmod servers, this one felt the best and that's why I joined. I tried b5 24/7 many times since first joining GFL, and I never stayed for a reason. It was boring playing on a single map. I can play for 10 hours straight with multiple maps, but that's impossible on b5 24/7.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Calebevb - Edit Reason: cause ur gay

Personally I wont play it anymore if it is rotation. However you should add a voting system to the game after every map so then if the people playing at the moment dont have to play maps they dont like.

Edit: you should also add the !rtv command like how rage suggested

Edited by Calebevb
cause ur gay

Enchantment table.PNG

Just want to reiterate that a having a rotation or a static map doesn't dictate what kills or populates a server entirely. If you open the server browser and sort by players, garnet is currently full at 40/40 players while being a 24/7 b5 server with little to no custom addons and a relatively bare pointshop. Whichever way the decision goes it will not have any affect on the player count long term. It's been proven time and time again that a map pool change won't revive a server.

I dont really care either way, but to others point whatever is picked should be final. Constantly changing back and forth does no good either. 

One small note that if we do go to rotation an rtv would mean only 3 of the however many maps are chosen will get played at most. So unless yall are incredibly confident every player will want to vote for every map in the pool just make it a static rotation pls.

Achievements

1 hour ago, Pingu said:

One small note that if we do go to rotation an rtv would mean only 3 of the however many maps are chosen will get played at most. So unless yall are incredibly confident every player will want to vote for every map in the pool just make it a static rotation pls.

I mean is this an issue? If the people on the server only want to play 3 out of the however many maps that is up to them. I would prefer that than having people leave because they don't like a map like what supposedly happened with drybones.

b_560_95_1.png

Office 24/7 or riot

Personally I would prefer to have a rotational map system with the ability to !rtv if players want. If players constantly rtv and it ends up only 3 out of however many maps are actually played than that will just tell us that we should look into finding maps that more people like.

Posted  Edited by olliemas

Right, I'mma be frank. 

The server pop going down is definitely somewhat related to the switch to 24/7 b5 in my opinion. There are a number of people who enjoy playing just b5, but what you guys aren't accounting for is the number of people who will not play a server because there is only one map on it, or for the people who now don't want to play because they dislike b5. For example, there have been many occasions where I have looked to play a server other than vanilla, with rot being dead most of the time and anarchy being an entirely different world I find mc to be my only option, and I instead just don't join because I know that I will have to play b5. The thing about switching to 24/7 b5 and comparing it to other servers which are constantly populated on 24/7 b5 is that isn't an accurate comparison. There are factually fewer people who would regularly come back to just play one map, but those people do exist. Those people, however, are already loyal to other servers, there isn't an endless stream of new players who only want to play one map. I've never got the negativity around a rotation/ rtv system as the majority wins in this situation and you can just not play a map if the people like it but you don't, the point is there are options in this case.

Another example: A lot of people like rooftops, I hate rooftops, I never join vanilla when rooftops is being played but the majority of people enjoy it, by switching to 24/7 rooftops we would just cut out a portion of the player base like me whereas the people that weren't going to join because it's rotation already aren't joining. A rotation server switching to 24/7 one map only cuts out more people than it brings unless you're willing to keep it that way for a long period of time and essentially start from scratch building a new regular player base. 

All I'm saying is there has been an extreme drop off in players since the switch, and you can attribute it to other factors too but there doesn't need to be this tribal nature about the decisions made. If you switch to an rtv/ rotation system then the players get to play what the players want to play, that's the most important thing.

Edit: Don't think I articulated this perfectly but hopefully someone understands what I've written haha

Edited by olliemas

We have decided to return back to rotation for the foreseeable future. If you log onto the server, you will see there is now a map-vote system that contains about 20 maps to pick from. Also players can now use !rtv (rock the vote) to vote for an early map-vote to be initiated. Lastly, Supporters and above now have access to the !nominate command that allows them to pick a map of their choice to be included in the next map vote.

@Loke and I hope you enjoy the changes. If you have any further questions or feedback you can put it in the #ttt-mc-feedback channel in the GMod Discord.

Achievements