mikeyfanaccount

Repurposing CSGO Division's Servers

Posted  Edited by mikeyfanaccount - Edit Reason: GANGING

Kinda just building on my older post from January 1, the CSGO division, except for movement oriented game modes, is pretty much dying or just not retaining the player base they used to. Looking at BHOP #2 for example, over the last month, there has been an average of 3 players at any time (according to game tracker). It just my personal opinion, but i think taking that server and repurposing it for another game mode, like deagles only or maybe retakes etc, would help encourage players to stick around the community longer. 

Basically, why keep a server that averages 3 players on a specific gamemode when we could use it to try to different gamemodes and possibly even expand our community through those outlets as well.

oh yeah and if this isnt viable due to lack of resources or time then it is what it is lmao

Edited by mikeyfanaccount
GANGING

Repurposing a server is a lot of work and odds are the new server might be lucky if it has an average of 3 players at any time on a good day.

It's not to say that it can't and shouldn't be done, but someone would really have to want to do it and have those specific servers.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I understand that nothing is guaranteed to work or be successful, but how would we ever actually know without trying? I feel like taking these risks is alot more beneficial then upkeeping and paying for a practically dead server. (atleast compared to other bhop servers)

I mean hell i would develop the server myself I just don't want to sell my soul away to the dev team yet, so all i can do is ask.

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I think everyone agrees with your endgame.  It's without a doubt a good idea.  It's getting there that's the hard part.  I'm not sure if your join date 2020 is accurate, but if it is, then you missed out on the times when we would always try new servers pretty much every new month although I do admit it was kind of a fun mess to try.  I still like trying to new things, but just pointing out it's a lot of work.

I didn't do a thorough search, but here's an example of where cuts were made to concentrate on bread and butter servers.

You're right: It never hurts to ask.  Maybe if other people are sharing agreement openly it might encourage the opening of specific servers.  Something else that does work is exactly as you said it... pretty much sell your soul and get one of those servers started.  Shaky background and applying for something like Discord Mod or Public Relations Team?  Good luck!  (I wish that weren't true because I do want people to have a chance to prove themselves if they want to try).  Want to start a new No Clip Bullet Bill and Goomba Stomp Server on CS:GO and you're okay with making some of the plugins on your own?  Welcome to Server Manager here's complete access to SourceBans 🙂 I know I'm exaggerating and it's a totally fake example, but I feel like I've seen similar things happen.  I don't think it worked on the first try, but it eventually got there.  If you want to make it happen, then you can certainly try too!

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I do agree mostly dead servers should be removed if they have rarely any player/community base. Though, I just want to clarify on one thing, we aren't paying on a per game server basis. This means we aren't paying for the game server itself if it stays up (we only did this in the early 2011/2012 years of GFL or when we host servers in games that require slot fees such as Battlefield 3 and 4). We pay for the dedicated servers themselves along with the Anycast network it is hosted on. Technically, the server is using a certain amount of RAM and disk space if they're existing and/or online. However, the dedicated servers we purchase typically come with more than enough RAM and disk space.

I was pushing to kill off more dead servers in mid-2016 because of the previous events GFL was going through at the time (after the huge series of negative events, we had only ~$200 in our PayPal balance and owed $1000+ that month, so I was cutting down on game servers in order to cut some dedicated servers we had to save expenses).

I believe the biggest reasons of others going against expanding include not a having qualified/dedicated potential server manager and lack of staff. The latter reason is kind of iffy in my opinion because in order to expand, you're most likely need to start a server with not much staff. I've never cared about the starting staff team needing to be great with new servers in the past and eventually things would always work out. Plus, it helped populate the server a bit when we used to put "Recruiting Staff" in the host name (of course we'd receive the power hungry individuals, but it still helped with population). The staff team would smoothen out within the first one - two weeks of active population from my experience.

Anyways, I believe the best way to go about expanding and replacing servers is write out the idea on a new game mode and also which server we'd replace. Explain how/why it would most likely succeed and what makes it better than other game servers running the game mode (if any). Try to make us believe it has a great chance of working out basically. We've had MANY failed expansions and I was the lead in a majority of them (for those that knew me back when I was the front-end leader of GFL knew I constantly wanted to expand). It got to the point where people were constantly calling me insane, etc. because it felt like I was trying the same thing over and over again (I guess in some cases, I was, but I was trying to change approaches each time). Also, try to get others interested and get an idle team (make sure to mention this if you do decide to write an idea out). I still feel like idling is something completely overlooked nowadays since that's what I did with others to help populate GFL servers back in the starting days.

Unfortunately, populating game servers are very difficult compared to years ago in my opinion. I could write a book about it, but for something like CS:GO, just read my two Reddit threads from 2015/2016 here and here. With that said, there is a lot more competitiveness in game servers nowadays in terms of features and whatnot. One of our biggest factors for success back in the day was the loosen rules and staff team we had. However, I don't think that'd play any difference nowadays due to the footprint many other servers have in the game along with their features, etc.

If we're going to be getting into a game mode that has many servers already, we'd definitely need a dedicated manager and technical maintainer.

I'm sorry for the long post, but I hope the advice or w/e helps.

In my opinion populating a server is very easy. Get a group of friends and play and invite ur steam friends. People will see a small base of players and slowly join. Only problem is you need patience. You also need a dedicated team of staff willing to help populate and better the server.

Visit GameTracker.com for the latest game server information!

[Former] PVK Manager  Anarchy Admin 

• 1 month later...

Closing and moving this since its been idle for a long time without much of an "official" response, apologies.

All I can say is our first priority right now is working towards getting our flagship servers to a far more stable state than where we are right now, before outright expanding into new horizons. Lots to come, though! Lots of things in the pipeline that will be seen as we move forward with them. Feel free to shoot me a message asking what I'm up to with the division, more than happy to provide status updates on whats happening behind the scenes.

Discord: Infra#0001 | Steam: /id/infra- | GitHub: /1zc

Executive Director & CS:GO Division Leader          

Server Manager of CS:GO KZ

image_10.png