Beaker

Diffusing Situations on Discord

Posted  Edited by Joshy

Thanks for posting this!  Really off to a great start 🙂 work in progress is okay to make.

edit:

I edit the topic name removing "for Moderation" because everyone can use this.

I recommend adding some quoted examples like (totally fake and lazy example here)

Aggressor: "I am going to say something really bad here"

Victim: "Oh no"

Aggressor: "REALLY BAD REALLY BAD REALLY BAD"

Other: "I like pudding"

Aggressor: "bad things bad things"

Diffuser: "Can you take this to DMs?"

A list of key words and identifiers are a good idea too.  Words that really escalate the situation can be negative like "no" and "can't", and anything that has the appearance of threatening or blaming them.  Using long and robotic sentences might not be good too.  Someone who's in a bad mood isn't going to respond too kindly to something "No bickering.  You are in violation of Rule 2 and will receive a warning if you continue."  Yikes.  Some good words that can be used are like "can" and even point the way can help.  "You can make an appeal here <insert link here>"

Some other things to watch out for is to see when things can be resolved by not adding fuel to the fire.  Sometimes people vent.  I think I could live with those 1-2 liners of an upset person.  I feel like I've seen in the past (maybe not here) where a little frustration gets blown out of proportion- probably would have been okay or better off saying nothing, and nobody would have received a warn or ban.

What's a better way of taking something to the DMs?  Telling them in the channel "Hey!  Take it to the DMs" or sending them a friend request and hear them out.  Just because you add them doesn't mean you have to keep them there forever.  You also don't have to just take if they are being rude in DM (neither should you feed the trolls because you might get your fingers bitten).

Something I forgot to mention or I don't see in the guide... blocking!  Wow!  What a great tool. I saw someone use this other day and they really handled their situation very well.  Here's an example situation I literally saw the other day.  I think it was handled really well.  Moderators might have to intervene, but this could have very easily been way worse especially because it was targeted towards someone.

uIGQjzv.png

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

• Joshy changed the title to Diffusing Situations on Discord

I wanted to add a quick note that we have a channel designed for this specifically (enabled on Main and GMod), usually used to explain their behavior and/or if they brought private matters into the Discord as attempt to defuse or politely ask them to cut it off. 

76561198043643390.png

sig-improved-silver.png

5 minutes ago, Ben said:

I wanted to add a quick note that we have a channel designed for this specifically (enabled on Main and GMod), usually used to explain their behavior and/or if they brought private matters into the Discord as attempt to defuse or politely ask them to cut it off. 

Timeout channel, right?  I think that's great.  I need to add that to the flow of things.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

So what if I said "your mom" and liloz hits me with a "your mother" and then I said "you smell like poopoo"

how you gonna diffuse that?

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

Just now, VilhjalmrF said:

"go to your room!"

24 minutes ago, VilhjalmrF said:

So what if I said "your mom" and liloz hits me with a "your mother" and then I said "you smell like poopoo"

Shower!

2 hours ago, Bue. said:

"go to your room!"

how about I say no

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

2 hours ago, VilhjalmrF said:

"your mother" and then I said "you smell like poopoo"

Simply reply with "Your mother spells like poopoo"

Visit GameTracker.com for the latest game server information!

[Former] PVK Manager  Anarchy Admin