John Jeez Man

Let's make squad great again.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/Squad/

"Squad is a tactical FPS that provides authentic combat experiences through teamwork, constant communication, and gameplay. It bridges the large gap between arcade shooter and military simulation with 100 player battles, combined arms combat, base building, and a great integrated VoIP..."

Squad is a really great game that "provides authentic combat experiences through teamwork, constant communication and gameplay". We had a good running squad server before and I don't know what happened to that tbh but, it went well from what I seen and I don't see why we can't get it starting back up again. I was hyped to join it figuring out there was a squad server that we had and I reinstalled it to only find that... we don't have the squad server anymore... If you like shooter games, this is the GAME FOR YOU! There are great communities out there and we can be one of them with them as well. Don't see any downfall for this being a server we add again, it was great before, it can be great again. :) 

Server Manager of Squad.

be2e3ce9254c6a1d33fee472ec4323a3.png

I play squad a few times a week. I have been trying to connect to the GFL squad server since like november/decemberish and haven't gotten it to work once. I've contacted multiple admins, whined to division leaders, and even whined at Aurora. Noone actually involved in the squad server ever replyed to me and I've yet to find *anyone* who has actually played on the supposed GFL squad server. @John Jeez Man

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

1 hour ago, Token SomethingOrOther said:

I play squad a few times a week. I have been trying to connect to the GFL squad server since like november/decemberish and haven't gotten it to work once. I've contacted multiple admins, whined to division leaders, and even whined at Aurora. Noone actually involved in the squad server ever replyed to me and I've yet to find *anyone* who has actually played on the supposed GFL squad server. @John Jeez Man

Firstly, I apologize for the extreme delay on resolving this issue. Unfortunately, our Squad division didn't take off like I was hoping when launched, but I don't believe nearly enough work was put into the server itself and that's my fault. I was trying to get it started and then I was going to let the server manager handle it from there. Unfortunately, the person who was assigned to the server recently resigned.

Anyways, as for the issue regarding connecting to the server. I'm not sure if I was informed on this or not (if I was, I apologize). I looked at our DMs on Discord and we've never chatted before. But somebody may have told me about it and forgot. Anyways, something like this would need to be resolved by me since I have in-depth knowledge of our Anycast infrastructure (I am the only person maintaining it at the moment).

This should be resolved now and I just got finished pushing the fix to all of our NA-based POP servers (the rest should be working already).

The Problem (In-Depth)

There were two problems with the server. The most obvious one was it wasn't updated. I updated the server a few days ago, but players still had issues connecting and I finally had time to test it myself. I confirmed I wasn't able to connect as well. When I would connect, it'd state I'm joining the queue, but then said the server failed to respond to a query.

Our Anycast network is kind of all over the place at the moment as in, our NA-based POP servers run a different version of packet processing/filtering software at the moment than our Europe and Asia POP servers. I know I got Squad to work with our Europe/Asia POP servers, but I completely missed something with our NA POP servers (which is weird because when we launched Squad, I know I could connect without issues, but perhaps Squad updates changed the packet structure).

When you first connect to a Squad server, a packet similar to this is sent to the server:

23:58:47.597911  In xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx ethertype 802.1Q (0x8100), length 104: vlan 1, p 0, ethertype IPv4, (tos 0x0, ttl 128, id 30090, offset 0, flags [DF], proto UDP (17), length 84)
    x.x.x.x.51052 > 92.119.148.115.39799: [udp sum ok] UDP, length 56
        0x0000:  0000 0001 0006 0c9d 92c1 b5ed 0000 8100  ................
        0x0010:  0001 0800 4500 0054 758a 4000 8011 8a20  ....E..Tu.@.....
        0x0020:  0a01 0003 5c77 9473 c76c 9b77 0040 4fd7  ....\w.s.l.w.@O.
        0x0030:  0001 0024 6d50 4a55 746c 3156 6646 5244  ...$mPJUtl1VfFRD
        0x0040:  4d6b 4b4b 0006 0020 5558 5074 3559 7056  MkKK....UXPt5YpV
        0x0050:  7548 7752 756b 4b44 587a 7039 596e 496d  uHwRukKDXzp9YnIm
        0x0060:  355a 376d 5970 7841                      5Z7mYpxA

Note - If you are trying to find my source IPv4 address from the hexadecimals, you'll only parse my LAN IP address which I don't care about 😛

We have strict port whitelisting on our NA POPs and these (probably handshake) packets were destined for a random destination port each time. Therefore, they were being filtered by our packet processing software. After whitelisting these type of packets and applying the fix to the POP server I routed through, I was able to connect to the Squad server again from the official server browser list. Afterwards, I applied the fix to the rest of the POP servers.

You should be able to connect to the server now. If you aren't able to, please let me know either here or on Discord (cdeacon#6401 is my tag).

2 hours ago, Aurora said:

squad became so great that roy took down gfl in solving the problem

I honestly wanted to say you were wrong so bad.