MutedMike

Making a Minecraft Division for GFLClan (take 2)

I dunno how I feel about working on a new server when the one I'm currently working on (and getting paid for) is still in its first few months of play. But if people are doing it I'll happily help.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

I have been thinking about an Minecraft division recently and as others have said there are numerous hurdles to overcome.

The primary one has been mentioned and that is having a strong team to set it up and manage is granularly until it can stand on its own. The people in charge of it will need to be able to be involved with it as much as possible and hopefully be well versed in the backend of running a complicated minigame Minecraft server. Bungeecord is great and all, but it is not very efficient since in the end it is an interconnect between a bunch of smaller servers running on the same machine. If you have 6 minigame lobbies and lets say a survival and a creative you will be hard pressed to run them all well simultaneously without a machine that we currently own being used exclusively for running the MC network.

There is also the mentioned issue of advertising and uniqueness. Advertising an MC server is much different than most of the other games GFL currently has running. There is no ingame server browser so people need to go on a variety of sites to find the servers. You mentioned this but since there are so many of them it is difficult to get people to vote or whatever to get the server up there. Even if the server is in the top 10 so it is highly visible it is then what we do that is different. There are hundreds of minigame and factions servers which are all basically the same thing on different seeds or with different specific minigames. So it is then the question of what will be on the servers to make them unique enough to get people to try the server let alone stay on it and potentially spend money on it. If the plan is to make custom plugins and shit that is possible but it takes a lot of time to make a completely custom gamemode like on Hypixel or Shotbow.

There is the third issue of GFL having a history of failed Minecraft servers. As Roy said, you will need to be able to convince him that this time it will be worth the effort of making. I would be all for it and would consider doing some light dev work and moderate it, but I am not the person that needs convincing.

b_560_95_1.png

Okay, so, the thing is, with multiverse core you don't need to bungee everything together.

Bungee= multiple servers acting as a single continuous gameplay experience
multiverse = single server acting as multiple worlds

Multiverse is better for small servers because it means resources are shared between all worlds (say, separate mingames) in a single jvm. If you have fewer than 150 players at peak, a single large server is probably cheaper and more efficient than a bunch of bungeed together seperate server.

I would, just because of scale of the network, suggest advertising *within* gfl, not spending time on external advertising. We already have more than enough players to fill a small-medium survival server just by word of mouth.

And, like with all my clients, I recommend making a survival server with some minigames, not a pure minigames server. Minigame servers have a ton of competition and require a massive amount of configuration and dev time, and it's very difficult to do something that larger networks don't do better.

THIS SIGNATURE IS INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

4 minutes ago, Token SomethingOrOther said:

I would, just because of scale of the network, suggest advertising *within* gfl, not spending time on external advertising. We already have more than enough players to fill a small-medium survival server just by word of mouth.

I mean that is true, but there is the issue with most of the people in GFL only playing on GFL servers in a game or two. And the issue is that there is not much overlap in CS or GMod or Rust players and your everyday Minecraft player.

b_560_95_1.png