Akris

New Servers/Divisions Suggestions

By the title it is quite simple what I am proposing. I will break it off into sections so it is easier to read.

PVK 2 (Pirates Vikings and Knights)

Yes I may somewhat bias about this game because I loved it so much. I was a past manager for this server and it was one of GFL's top servers (population not donations.) The server seemed to dip in population after I was no longer manager (not blaming other managers) but it wasn't handled like it was supposed to. To populate that server it is quite simple. The server is very easy to maintain and control. The only issues that pop up is an occasional spammer or foreign player that speaks another language.

Spoiler

63de44c2682bb0ead8cf0c0b5984b919.png

If you look at the steam chart you may say "wow no one plays this game.' It is true that the players peak around 40-60 daily and that is not a lot, but it makes it easier to populate your server. If you get you and some friends (or manager and his staff team) players will see the server has some people on and will join. This causes a domino effect and next thing you know it the servers at 32/32. 

Label: Low risk, High reward

Elaboration: Opening this server will cost little to nothing, with this being the case it opens up the potential of drawing in more money they it does to run it. The server is also very easy to manage and takes little deving. 

Fistful of Frags

This I do not know too much about, but we used to have a server before but it had no manager, no staff team, and no one with the heart or balls to populate it. This I believe could easily become a successful server if given the right team. 

Spoiler

f237ce964c1d0fa6d7cb671c3e455e21.png

As you can see the servers are somewhat close to PVK. This means it can populate just like PVK can. The only problem is we need an active team. We don't need a staff team thats on there for a title. We need a staff team that is there because they love the game and they love the server.

Label Low risk, High reward

This has the same potential as PVK in my personal opinion. 

Minecraft

Good ole minecraft. One of the most popular games out. GFL has tried and tried again for a minecraft division. There was one common problem with that and it seems like a problem with most dying servers. WE NEED A DEDICATED TEAM! I understand how hard it will be to get a dedicated server that is populated and profitable. It is not going to be easy, but the reward is too much to pass up on. You guys may want to sounds humble and act like GFL isn't that big, but it is. It is one of the most popular gaming communities out there. If we can start a minecraft server that has a dedicated population just imagine the increase in profits, new members, and so much more.

Label: High Risk, Higher Reward

There are other possible games to branch out into, but these are the 3 that I recommend doing. If you have any questions or concerns about the suggestions I would love to explain my side and hear yours! 

Visit GameTracker.com for the latest game server information!

[Former] PVK Manager  Anarchy Admin 

12 hours ago, Akris said:

Fistful of Frags

This I do not know too much about, but we used to have a server before but it had no manager, no staff team, and no one with the heart or balls to populate it. This I believe could easily become a successful server if given the right team. 

Reveal hidden contents

As you can see the servers are somewhat close to PVK. This means it can populate just like PVK can. The only problem is we need an active team. We don't need a staff team thats on there for a title. We need a staff team that is there because they love the game and they love the server.

Label Low risk, High reward

This has the same potential as PVK in my personal opinion. 

Developer of the game blacklisted GFL cus anycast and some drama with some other owners/players getting mad about it

Our server was always full until that time... can't really go back there 😛

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

4 minutes ago, Liloz01 said:

Developer of the game blacklisted GFL cus anycast and some drama with some other owners/players getting mad about it

Our server was always full until that time... can't really go back there 😛

That's alright! We'll just move on to another hl2 mod! How about Dystopi- no wait tried that. Oh how about Zombie Panic! Sour- no wait we did that as well. The Hidden: Source?

With my shitposting out of the way. There's other possible games. Like Day of Defeat: Source,  Counter-Strike 1.6 (that is if it's still active and popular, the last time I checked that was 2-3 years ago lol), Killing Floor, or return to CoD4. We can look into all of these if we or they really want to. But one at a time I suppose.

As for minecraft..

12 hours ago, Akris said:

Minecraft

Good ole minecraft. One of the most popular games out. GFL has tried and tried again for a minecraft division. There was one common problem with that and it seems like a problem with most dying servers. WE NEED A DEDICATED TEAM! I understand how hard it will be to get a dedicated server that is populated and profitable. It is not going to be easy, but the reward is too much to pass up on. You guys may want to sounds humble and act like GFL isn't that big, but it is. It is one of the most popular gaming communities out there. If we can start a minecraft server that has a dedicated population just imagine the increase in profits, new members, and so much more.

Label: High Risk, Higher Reward

Imo there's really no high risk to it. It's easy and simple and just gotta do it right which shouldn't be hard (as I say this when we tried having a minecraft server multiple times).

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

Edit

Well turns out I wrote a lot for Minecraft either way. I'll just make it its own section, but I can't contribute to the game play itself since I rarely play MC and not a huge fan of the game itself personally.

Minecraft

I'm not going to comment on the MC game play part due to the above. However, I will mention the posts I made here and here. If it were to be tried again, it needs promising managers and a hell of a game plan in my opinion. I also want to make clear it is surely possible to succeed in MC as well, but it needs dedicated managers and if the game plan is great, I doubt GFL will shy away from it (at least I hope we don't). I'll also make sure it runs on a machine that'll handle it fine if we do try it again (e.g. won't run into the issues we ran into before). We did have a lot of performance issues due to the Anycast network from it and that can be blamed on me. A year ago or so I was not nearly as experienced in writing packet processing/filtering software as I am now but since then I've made huge strides and now writing (D)DoS mitigation/protection software for the hosting company GFL uses (which is why I've been so busy, that's my job now 😛).

Fistful Of Frags

@Liloz01 already pointed this out, but we had to disable A2S_INFO caching for FoF (and for understandable/completely valid reasons, I just want to make that clear). The thread on this may be found below.

Afterwards, both of our servers immediately died (unfortunately, these aren't the only servers that would die if A2S_INFO caching was disabled). Beforehand, both servers were the top two servers in FoF and from what I remember, there was at least one server not emptying out during the nights. They were full pretty much the entire day and we received A LOT of unique players since the game was free-to-play which was very nice. The game had a huge spike in popularity when videogamedunkey (also my favorite YouTuber) made a video as seen below.

The game play wasn't on our server (sadly, it would have made my month if it did! But it's okay, I still love videogamedunkey to death), but it definitely helped ours. Also probably helped I added "#TeamDunkey" in the host name when it happened and kept it in there until our servers died lol.

Anyways, it is a low risk since we aren't paying for individual servers, so it can't hurt just spinning the servers back up again without the A2S_INFO caching, but I wouldn't expect much results. Especially when our servers died immediately after being the top two servers for a year and a half lol.

Pirates, Vikings, & Knights II

GFL used to have the #1 PVKII server years ago (probably in 2015/2016 and you'd be surprised by how many games we've been number one in by me just throwing random servers up back in the day and idling lmao). My approach with it at that time was playing 24/7 Island and having vanilla game play (keeping things simple at least was key in games like these). I would idle (sometimes with my laptop as well so it had two players) and that would populate the server. I did this for around two months until the server sustained population itself and it went strong for a good while if I recall correctly. The key in my opinion is not to over-complicate it. When the last PVKII server was out, I noticed we weren't playing as popular maps and while the game play may have been more entertaining/better, unfortunately, you just have to do what's popular in order to get population in some games. That's just how it is sometimes.

With that said, my community server tracking website indicates PVKII has seen a downfall as well throughout the years and you can see that here.

Idling is something I also feel is completely overlooked at times. I feel if we had more people idling on our servers, we could see more population, especially in games that have less servers to players ratios.

However, as you said, it's a low risk and high award and I am a huge supporter of popping up random servers, especially in these types of games (GFL wouldn't be where it is now without me doing it). I'm in full support of it, but keep in mind what I said above. I really would recommend a basic 24/7 Island server and trying idling on it with two people. There's a chance it won't populate, but that's what worked for us back years ago. Obviously times have changed though, so we'll have to see.

I may be making a post soon (probably this weekend) giving suggestions on our CS:GO division since I saw some things. I'm going to try being as constructive as possible and I'm not calling anyone out obviously. I just have some suggestions that I think will help and I also want to get updates on some things. I was going to make it last weekend, but a week ago something came up with work and I've been mostly busy since then (and when not busy, tired as hell, so not working on GFL as much, doesn't help we had that situation the other day where I nuked our servers and I haven't had much of a break from that).

Thank you for making this post by the way @Akris! I love seeing stuff like this and I hope the above helps. I'm just speaking based off of my experience, but as I stated, times have changed and I've also had many game modes that have failed. A lot of things are a hit and miss. You just don't know how things will go until you try it and give it your all.

P.S. Sorry if I missed anything, I rushed this post because I am tired and in a lot of back pain at the moment (plus I've been writing way too much today lol).

Posted  Edited by Akris
13 hours ago, Roy said:

I really would recommend a basic 24/7 Island server and trying idling on it with two people. There's a chance it won't populate, but that's what worked for us back years ago.

Coming from personal experience I completely agree. It is the only gamemode that would work. I would put my entire reputation on the fact it will populate given the right team!

(also if you open PVK and FoF I would love a DM about it. Would love to help populate.)

Edited by Akris

18 hours ago, Roy said:

However, as you said, it's a low risk and high award and I am a huge supporter of popping up random servers, especially in these types of games (GFL wouldn't be where it is now without me doing it). I'm in full support of it, but keep in mind what I said above. I really would recommend a basic 24/7 Island server and trying idling on it with two people. There's a chance it won't populate, but that's what worked for us back years ago. Obviously times have changed though, so we'll have to see.

Same here, DM me if this actually happens. 

I did change up the server and did a map rotation just to see how it would work. The new map with the moving ship did attract some people, but it was short lived. I think 24/7 island is the best solution. 

jitticus

32 minutes ago, TheJitFace said:

Same here, DM me if this actually happens. 

I did change up the server and did a map rotation

I disliked that (no offense I understand why) but 24/7 is the only one that draws in the players

Posted  Edited by TheJitFace
3 minutes ago, Akris said:

I disliked that (no offense I understand why) but 24/7 is the only one that draws in the players

Nah I gotchu, looking back, it did mess up the population. 

Edited by TheJitFace

jitticus