BestKevin

Server Specifications

If possible, a section here would be nice for people to see what the servers are running off of in terms of technical specifications.

This suggestion comes from a lack of information regarding the Garry's Mod servers on why certain things are not possible, some state it's due to the server it is hosted on and others say it is not, and this would clear things up in that regard.

I know most people will not know what they are looking at, and I hear that this info might be on the website somewhere, but I cannot find it myself and I actually put some effort into finding it.

Doesn't need to be in a lot of detail, and I am sure they can pin it on discord if they feel the need.

Thanks,

Best Kevin

A dedicated page is being worked on for server specifications as well as status.

For the time being you can view all server specifications here: https://gflclan.com/forums/forum/204-updates/. There are threads about what servers we have, from who, and what we pay. I understand it's a little bit shit, but the information is there. The threads about our hardware generally have "Machine" or "GSx" in the title.

However, the hardware that the server is using does not tell the whole story for performance. I mean, our CS:GO ZE Server runs off of a Windows server using a fuckin' 4+ year old Xeon and it runs fine at 64/64 players consistently (though they do plan to upgrade to a 10900k and Linux soonTM: https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/67733-csgo-ze-linux-incoming/).

This topic is often fairly frustrating because when some people find out what hardware we have, they see "11900k" or "10900k" and are like: "that's like the best thing you can buy why cant you just add all this stuff to the server!?"... well... the CPU alone does not tell the whole story you also have to consider:

• We have an Anycast network which takes a toll on all servers. (This should be solved soon enough).
  • The RAM type, timing and frequency as it plays a huge part in server performance. (Most hosts don't even let you know what RAM specs you have, only capacity! I'm trying to ensure our RAM specs are good from now on because I believe it plays a huge part... no more DDR4 2666 CL18 garbage!!!).
  • The plugin(s) (software) optimisation.
  • The software the server is running off of.
  • The Manager might just not like the thing that users want added, so they don't add it. Something being added might have nothing to do with performance but it just being used as a scapegoat.

There's more points on a server-to-server basis but meh, you get the point; hardware that the server is running off of isn't the whole story but if you are interested you can still view the forum linked above and find the relevant threads.

Contact me here or on Discord @Liloz01#9857

For help with anything Forum related: 

22 minutes ago, Liloz01 said:

I mean, our CS:GO ZE Server runs off of a Windows server using a fuckin' 4+ year old Xeon and it runs fine at 64/64 players consistently

Only thing I have to add is that actually it was recently upgraded to a Linux server using a E-2288G (so only 2 - 3 years old haha).

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

17 hours ago, Liloz01 said:

A dedicated page is being worked on for server specifications as well as status.

For the time being you can view all server specifications here: https://gflclan.com/forums/forum/204-updates/. There are threads about what servers we have, from who, and what we pay. I understand it's a little bit shit, but the information is there. The threads about our hardware generally have "Machine" or "GSx" in the title.

However, the hardware that the server is using does not tell the whole story for performance. I mean, our CS:GO ZE Server runs off of a Windows server using a fuckin' 4+ year old Xeon and it runs fine at 64/64 players consistently (though they do plan to upgrade to a 10900k and Linux soonTM: https://gflclan.com/forums/topic/67733-csgo-ze-linux-incoming/).

This topic is often fairly frustrating because when some people find out what hardware we have, they see "11900k" or "10900k" and are like: "that's like the best thing you can buy why cant you just add all this stuff to the server!?"... well... the CPU alone does not tell the whole story you also have to consider:

• We have an Anycast network which takes a toll on all servers. (This should be solved soon enough).
  • The RAM type, timing and frequency as it plays a huge part in server performance. (Most hosts don't even let you know what RAM specs you have, only capacity! I'm trying to ensure our RAM specs are good from now on because I believe it plays a huge part... no more DDR4 2666 CL18 garbage!!!).
  • The plugin(s) (software) optimisation.
  • The software the server is running off of.
  • The Manager might just not like the thing that users want added, so they don't add it. Something being added might have nothing to do with performance but it just being used as a scapegoat.

There's more points on a server-to-server basis but meh, you get the point; hardware that the server is running off of isn't the whole story but if you are interested you can still view the forum linked above and find the relevant threads.

Yeah I understand that, the server specifications don't tell the whole story but if the technical specs were listed it would at least put off the possibility of it being hardware related.  

Then again it could open up other avenues of people blaming code or other "things" for the performance issues, honestly this is mostly my own curiosity.  I think the issue I am presenting here is more of a communication issue, some staff are speaking on things they don't truly know or understand, and it would take someone like yourself or similar to set it straight.  

For instance, myself being told that the server is on 66 tick rate because it got merged onto the "old box" with another server, they said they "had their chance at 100 tick" and once popularity dropped it went to another server.  This kind of information is partially off-putting to some people and possibly horribly incorrect.

It is also a non-issue for me, I think the server runs fine and it could be as simple as playermodel hitbox issues for the players complaining about it, but I figured I would bring it up after a discussion with Joshy on Discord (I had difficulty actually finding any posts on the forums pertaining to hardware).  It would be nice if the SM's and Admins had a common understanding of what the issue is, and they can present it to the players as they see fit.  

I think there are a good handful of people who would be interested or curious of this information and it's reasonable enough to share 🙂 I look forward to seeing the page when/if it becomes available.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152