Sgt. Squiddy

The Casual's "Get Good" at TTT Rant

I originally wrote this on the GFL Gmod Discord.

There are at least 3 players within Rotation that have top-tier aim, being able to kill more than half the server on T rounds. Whenever someone like me (with bad aim) tries to kill them, it usually ends with my head being blown to bits in the time it takes for me to even land one body shot.

A few months back I tried something called AimLab to help with my aim, but it just made me accept that I have slow reflexes even at this stage in my life. I wish I knew how to consistently land shots like that, but I always stopped short of asking one of them to teach me how to aim.

Whenever I ask how to improve, I'm met with the chorus of "get good". Every time I hear that mantra, I lose more and more sanity. I keep preventing myself from committing mass RDM or revenge RDM in these instances. I recall one round where I bought a Traitor Pass to get revenge on someone who 1-tapped me with a Deagle, but still found myself bound by the same fate of a Deagle shot to the head.

I'm getting sick of the tryhards on the server who treat the game like it's the CS:GO ESL Finals or something. I try to find enjoyment in this game, but the guys who know how to shoot sap that out of the game for me.

Sincerely,

A filthy casual

Stay squiggly, my friends.

[Former] Admin: GFL Prop Hunt

Regular: TTT Rotation

Posted  Edited by Dinomoto

Get good teehee

okay but seriously, its just a game, as soon as you stop caring about how good people are at it, the more you'll have fun. Just my feelings, oh and...I forgot what else...oh the sanity part, it should be gone.

Edited by Dinomoto

As one of those three people (I'm assuming), I'd be glad to help ya out and give you some pointers if you want to add me. I honestly just suggest knifing us or just getting close to us and mowing us down with a famas or something, reflexes don't really mean much if we don't have a reason that we can kill you for before you fill us up with bullets lol. At the end of the day though if it's upsetting you this much you should take a break, or play the game a different way. See how many C4 you can plant in a round, place a radio and annoy the hell out of people with it until they find it, spend an inno round trying to not get caught while holding an unIDed body (maybe not while staff are on ;D), there is loads more you can do in the game even if you're not going to the "CS"GO ESL Finals" lmao.

At any rate, I'm sorry if myself or any of the other server "tryhards" have frustrated you. Best of luck!

Honestly for me, I'd say I'm fairly decent on TTT, but then again I'm like below average in most other competitive FPS games, so maybe it's just a place for me to go to knowing that I'm good. 🤷‍♂️ 

I agree with Mystaldi and Dino though, I've learned to never take the game super seriously (whether it be playing or having to interact with the community), and it honestly makes the game so much fun. People find TTT enjoying not just because of the gamemode itself, but rather the interactions they bring out with people. I for one especially love RP on the server (ironically, I don't like to touch DarkRP or other derivatives). Just make sure to not break any rules though! 

In terms of getting better, I honestly never use AimLab, but simply just that I've built my shooter skills overtime. I'd say the games that helped me the most with this were probably TF2 and CS:GO, with me dedicating about 5000+ hours in between both games. Of course, we all don't have that time (especially if you're trying to get better at the game), but it helped me understand quick fundamental thinking and shooting for TTT. Honestly though, a lot of well placed and coordinated traitor traps/setups can get a good advantage over a good player, especially C4s and Diamond Swords. In terms of gunplay, FAMAS is for sure an easy start out. Literally considered the best weapon on the server IMO. Couple others next may be Mac 10 and then MP5. Once you get yourself a good rhythm for the fast spraying guns, you can either learn how to use some of the slower firing guns (M16 is EXTREMELY good if you know how to hit heads), or the sniper rifles (SG 550 is a pretty fast fire rate and allows you to practice shots without having to worry about too much delay). Throw the Deagle into the mix somewhere inbetween, and you become quite a killing machine. (Shotguns used to be pretty meta and a go to for me in the past, although lately they have felt like shit.)

Additionally, it's good to learn how to evade bullets. Crouch jump spam (albeit the most broken tactic) is good to use to avoid anything, and learning how to strafe and bhop also helps with evasive maneuvers.

Hopefully that's my list of tips that you can take a look at to learn how to improve at TTT, or to enjoy it better!

Posted  Edited by Pingu

Being "good" is not all about just having above average aim. A lot of it comes from how you position yourself on the map to react to situations. Anyone can have great aim but if you die to jihads every other round it's pointless. It seems stupid but having the higher ground on somebody if they challenge you is a huge benefit. That's why you'll see good players rarely on the ground floor unless they have to be. Having the higher ground means you get to decide when or when not you want to re-engage a fight with somebody/some people. It also means you aren't out in the open for everyone to shoot at you whenever they feel like it. If someone does shoot you, since there are many less places you can be shot from, you should be able to figure out about where it came from and be very suspicious of anyone who is around that area who might be holding the weapon that did that damage. 

Obviously this can't be applied to every map on the rotation but it can for some. There's a lot more to positioning yourself then simply being on a higher ground but it will get you better results regardless. 

But to the point of Alpha, there is no shortcut to being able to consistently land good shots. I've personally sunk in around 6000 hours into gmod and about 2200 in CS but I still get slapped around by the real sweats in CS. AimLab can certainly help but you have to be persistant with it. One day of use isn't going to change anything. As someone who has done a good bit of research into how to perfect your aim, what you really want to be trying to improve is your "Tracking." There are AimLab tasks generated specifically for honing this skill and they aren't easy by any means, but if you consistently do those even a little every day you will notice you are getting better. Doing other tasks will certainly help as well but being able to place your cursor around head level is crucially the first step to good aim. 

Sidenote for AimLab: Please Please Please if you haven't already sync your GMod sensativity with the AimLab one. To do this I think you go to controls but you can select which game you want the sensativity to come from and GMod is an option so I highly recommend using those. Then obviously set it to the same sens as what you play in GMod. If you did already good on ya, but if not pls do.

Hope I could help and good luck trying to beat the nerds

Edited by Pingu

Achievements

I'm glad you're all here. I just wanted to vent my frustration and not take it out on anyone or anything like my desk or my keyboard. I can't thank you enough for the advice.

But seriously, pounding your fist onto your desk is not fun.

Stay squiggly, my friends.

[Former] Admin: GFL Prop Hunt

Regular: TTT Rotation