AlphaOwl

Discord - Restrict non-GFL bots to #bot-commands

Hopefully this is pretty self explanatory. I think that all discord bots that aren’t designated specifically for GFL (like Gamer (!u) for example) should be only allowed to type in #bot-commands. Often you get members spamming the commands in role-specific general chats or off-topics, which clutters up the feed and can make someone lose their train of thought if typing something. In general it’s been a consistent issue for a while, and what’s the point of having a bot-commands chat when barely anyone uses it when they can go spam up other chats? I exempt GFL bots specifically because generally they have a purpose to contribute to the server, but commands like !!!slut or !!!crime get annoying fast (and maybe not suited for the younger demographic of the community). Hopefully these perms could be set up pretty easily.

P.S. I’m not too sure if this has been removed or not, but supposedly there is a bot that sends nsfw content through commands (I’m not sure as well). Additionally, there’s another discord bot that could send Reddit posts of nsfw content as well. Hopefully these are fixed as well. 

I feel like the off topic channels are a good spot for bot commands as people usually stick to one spot on the Discords (Rotation Chat for me, for instance) and technically, bot commands are off topic hehe. In General chats though, it's becoming an issue, and I'd like to see that stopped, especially when the people doing it have been warned by Flying beforehand to stop.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Ben - Edit Reason: spelling error

Hi, this was brought up internally, and just to show transparency, we'll be taking action if anyone decides to spam the bot commands in server respective channels (e.g., #ttt-rot-general or #ttt-anarchy-general or #general if not server-specific), they will be punished appropriately, citing rule 3 (Channel Topics) or rule 1 (spamming).

Edited by Ben
spelling error

76561198043643390.png

Is there no way to restrict their ability to view channels to only the other channels, thereby making them ineffective on main channels? Isn't it as simple as just restricting their ability to access channels that aren't #bot-commands, no?

This forum stuff is weird but here I am.

6 hours ago, BestKevin said:

So the proposed solution is not to filter the bots down to a channel, but to punish people who use them outside of those channels?

From what I have spoken to people about it seems to be the more practical of the two. Many of the bots do a variety of things so most of them need to be able to access all channels. Even if we did restrict certain bots to certain channels, it would introduce a second bot role which will make the set up a mess. I would also like to note that this is only a gmod discord issue and a few people are the repeat offenders of this new rule.

b_560_95_1.png

I honestly don't understand why there isn't just a bot-command channel for every sub-server in the discord? Like, every single one has an off-topic, why not also bot-command? Are we avoiding clunkiness? Because it's already pretty clunky. 

Posted  Edited by flying4ssassin
17 hours ago, NOT Karkles said:

I honestly don't understand why there isn't just a bot-command channel for every sub-server in the discord? Like, every single one has an off-topic, why not also bot-command? Are we avoiding clunkiness? Because it's already pretty clunky. 

i mean we could also just rename the off topic channels to bot commands since that is what they are for anyway and general is rarely about the actual game.

For now I changed the channel description for off topic to:image.thumb.png.627c0213a65fc5e566165f907ede3115.png

Edited by flying4ssassin

b_560_95_1.png