Beaker

Stress and Anxiety

Posted  Edited by Beaker

How does stress and anxiety affect you physically and/ or mentally?

Edited by Beaker

It mostly makes me feel trapped and nervous, like I should be working on something but I can't quite figure out what it is. And if it gets too bad I just start worrying about everything, like random unrelated things i.e. "does aspartame cause cancer". Physically nothing happens, my appetite might fluctuate but I usually will eat less because I worry about my weight as well.

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

I have a very obsessive nature when it comes to my interests, so stress is almost always present in the things that I enjoy doing that don't actively improve my situation in life. Working is fine because I have time set specifically to make money and improve my financial situation. Doing school work and research is fine because I know that when I succeed in my classes I get financial support and learn more about the world. But my obsessive nature leads to procrastination in a very unhealthy way, as whenever I am enjoying something I lose any will to stop doing it and begin harmfully procrastinating. This causes the most enjoyable things in my life to become very stressful, so whenever I do get time off I repeatedly check to see if there's anything left to do before I dive into my video game addiction.

This forum stuff is weird but here I am.

Short answer: I don't.

LR1921G.thumb.jpg.cbfe2034265e32a9d364fb6220bae741.jpg

oksALf1.png

Achievements

I usually just get angry and do black tar heroin.

img

Thanks to @Auralanity for the amazing signature

Get down on myself and try to be better, I just look forward and try to help others. Management of time, having a schedule and all that shit helps you avoid it. 

607704345_LachSig2.png.da1092f8afdddd17e6220848a572495f.png

Signature done by @AceOfSpadesMM 

Honestly I don't think I suffer from either of those, or maybe I just don't recognize the feeling/symptoms of it.  I have always had a kind of "fuck it" mentality.  I don't stress over what I cannot control, but I have had a relatively easy life compared to some others.

I guess on actual stressful work days (busy, and risky subjects being addressed at work) I used to resolve it by eating some good food and sleeping.  I recently took up streaming and have a few good viewers that I talk things out with on the daily while playing games so I think that helps as well.

Depression is something that I deal with pretty privately and try not to let it affect others around me. Sometimes I lash out because my tolerance is pretty low, then I feel worse because of it.

Anxiety has been something I managed to achieve in 2016 after a car accident. I would say 100% speedrun anxiety, but its manageable. I second guess myself and worry that I'm not conveying the right thing, but mostly I just ignore myself and fully display that I'm a dumbass. 

Business Kirby

GMOD sourced
IT Certified professional. Advanced Python, C# - Intermediate LUA, GLUA - Proficient/General PHP, HTML, XML 
Steam: Kirby / Discord: Kirby#6049  ----- "Business Kirby doing Business Things."
kirby.jpeg.93aacd3d4bf0975a7efef979ba0d243c.jpeg

Just makes me panic and overthink about the smallest things. 

jitticus

3 hours ago, Business Kirby said:

Depression is something that I deal with pretty privately and try not to let it affect others around me. Sometimes I lash out because my tolerance is pretty low, then I feel worse because of it.

This is definitely something I relate to as well, but I usually open up to close friends about it, so it's not completely private for me (I can't imagine what it's like solely dealing with that and I'm sorry you're going through it 😕). It's weird because I've lashed out in the past a couple times at people and in the heat of the moment I thought they deserved it (and who knows, maybe they did), but afterwards I felt so much worse from it and my mind started telling me I was a shitty person, etc. You would think it'd make you feel better since some people I know have stated it's nice getting that frustration out, but I feel ten times worse whenever I do even if the other person deserved it 😞 I'm not sure if you can relate on that level, but figured I'd just share that.

3 hours ago, Business Kirby said:

Anxiety has been something I managed to achieve in 2016 after a car accident. I would say 100% speedrun anxiety, but its manageable. I second guess myself and worry that I'm not conveying the right thing, but mostly I just ignore myself and fully display that I'm a dumbass. 

I also relate to this I believe. I hate driving and I even sold my car earlier this year because I haven't really used it since COVID (I rarely drove or went out of my apartment anyways). I was never in a car accident, but I came close to one in probably 2016/2017 where it was my fault (I went to make a left turn at a two-way stop and didn't see someone coming from over a hill, thankfully they stopped in time). This only made it a lot worse because whenever I'm driving, I'm constantly fearing I'm not doing something right or I'm not going at the correct time (ESPECIALLY all-way stops).

It's weird because my girlfriend LOVES driving/cars and she has stated she wants to drive me everywhere we go since she only trusts herself driving and she doesn't want to get car sickness. So I guess that was one very fortunate part about our relationship.

20 hours ago, Duc2000 said:

It mostly makes me feel trapped and nervous, like I should be working on something but I can't quite figure out what it is. And if it gets too bad I just start worrying about everything, like random unrelated things i.e. "does aspartame cause cancer". Physically nothing happens, my appetite might fluctuate but I usually will eat less because I worry about my weight as well.

Earlier this year I went through a rough patch where I was drinking a heavily amount of alcohol. I was basically abusing it (drinking one - two bottles of red wine per night probably 3 - 4 days out of the week). This caused a lot of health issues and as some of you know, alcohol only makes your anxiety worse long-term. This is when I developed strong-ish health anxiety. Thankfully I haven't drank in two months (I don't plan on again to be honest), but that health anxiety still lingers, especially since I've been getting bad chest pain the past six months almost daily. I also weigh myself daily and get terrified when I feel I'm too overweight or gain a couple pounds (I'm 5'8 and in the 200 - 210lbs range, so I am overweight). I then start questioning if I'll develop cancer early on or randomly stop breathing that night. It's such a shitty feeling, especially since I lived alone for 3 and a half years so I knew nobody would be able to save me if I did have a problem (thankfully I won't be alone as much anymore when I get back home from my family for the holidays, but damn it still sucked and still sucks to this day since I constantly worry).

I'm sorry you go through that though 😞

I know a lot of you don't know me or well, don't know me on a personal level anyways, but if you ever need someone to talk to, you can always reach out to me on Discord (I "deleted" my old account I used primarily for GFL, but I have a new one now @ christian_#5073). I'm sorry for making these posts long or if I didn't understand something I tried relating to.

GitHub!

GFLClan.com | Browser.TF | Game Server Statistics | SUAS | GitLab

Twitter | Steam | FaceBook | YouTube | BattleLog | AlliedMods

GFL's Founder and old owner from 2011 to 2021

5 hours ago, Roy said:

Earlier this year I went through a rough patch where I was drinking a heavily amount of alcohol. I was basically abusing it (drinking one - two bottles of red wine per night probably 3 - 4 days out of the week). This caused a lot of health issues and as some of you know, alcohol only makes your anxiety worse long-term. This is when I developed strong-ish health anxiety. Thankfully I haven't drank in two months (I don't plan on again to be honest), but that health anxiety still lingers, especially since I've been getting bad chest pain the past six months almost daily. I also weigh myself daily and get terrified when I feel I'm too overweight or gain a couple pounds (I'm 5'8 and in the 200 - 210lbs range, so I am overweight). I then start questioning if I'll develop cancer early on or randomly stop breathing that night. It's such a shitty feeling, especially since I lived alone for 3 and a half years so I knew nobody would be able to save me if I did have a problem (thankfully I won't be alone as much anymore when I get back home from my family for the holidays, but damn it still sucked and still sucks to this day since I constantly worry).

Yeah body/health is such a big stressor to me, worrying about how what I do now will affect how I look/feel/how healthy I am in the future (i.e. balding or cancer or just generally looking old). It feels so stupid sometimes. Evolution ignored the fact that we age and fall apart, since you can reproduce before that happens, and as a result we (or at least, I) can't cope with the fact that it does. Why do I exist if I can't exist the way I want to exist?

Idk just really hits me sometimes. I'm trying a new med soon so I'll see how it works. I tried therapy a couple of times, but it's not for me. It's always too hard to say everything I want to say how I want to say it.

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

When I feel stressed/anxious I mostly feel physical symptoms, there's some emotional/cognitive strain too but it's overwhelmingly physical. My stomach starts to ache, I get a headache, I shake my leg, my mouth gets dry, my ears start to ring, sometimes if it's very bad I throw up, my heart rate increases, my muscles tense up to where I can't really even move properly, can't sleep... list goes on.

I'm fairly good at controlling the emotional/cognitive side of things but physical... nah. Haven't got a hold of that yet.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:35 PM, Duc2000 said:

Yeah body/health is such a big stressor to me, worrying about how what I do now will affect how I look/feel/how healthy I am in the future (i.e. balding or cancer or just generally looking old). It feels so stupid sometimes. Evolution ignored the fact that we age and fall apart, since you can reproduce before that happens, and as a result we (or at least, I) can't cope with the fact that it does. Why do I exist if I can't exist the way I want to exist?

Idk just really hits me sometimes. I'm trying a new med soon so I'll see how it works. I tried therapy a couple of times, but it's not for me. It's always too hard to say everything I want to say how I want to say it.

Yeah that sucks 😕  It seems like your thoughts are worse than mine in regards to health anxiety and I'm sorry you have those thoughts 😞 I usually just worry that I'll die at any point early on and won't be able to do what I wanted to do (along with the death itself hurting people I love) or loved ones will die (I have a VERY STRONG fear of losing loved ones). Sometimes I do get rare thoughts where I think of things outside of human understanding/this world (it's hard to explain, but such a shitty feeling), and then it makes me feel depressed because I feel I'm not going to make a big enough impact on this world in my lifetime. 

I hope the meds help! I started Lexapro a couple months back and went from 10mg to 20mg daily. Still not sure how it's making me feel yet because when I started it, I won't lie I was still drinking and Lexapro made my depression 10x worse while drinking (which I'm thankful for because that ultimately led to my huge breakdown and me finally getting away from alcohol). I still get into bad mind states, but I'm ultimately doing better than what I was a few months ago. So it's a win in my opinion. Just I feel like Lexapro should be making me feel better than this. So I may try something new in the future (I've heard Zoloft does well). I've heard trying to find the right med is such a pain in the ass and takes a while to find due to everybody's brain chemistry being different 😞 I also need to find out how to get rid of my dreams because for the past 6 - 7 months, every single dream I have is uncomfortable or a nightmare and it's all based around my childhood/high school which makes it worse.

1 hour ago, Liloz01 said:

When I feel stressed/anxeious I mostly feel physical symptoms, there's some emotional/cognitive strain too but it's overwhelmingly physical. My stomach starts to ache, I get a headache, I shake my leg, my mouth gets dry, my ears start to ring, sometimes if it's very bad I throw up, my heart rate increases, my muscles tense up to where I can't really even move properly, can't sleep... list goes on.

I'm fairly good at controlling the emotional/cognitive side of things but physical... nah. Haven't got a hold of that yet.

I'm not sure if it'd help, but I started taking some blood pressure medicine called Propranolol (since my blood pressure is always high when I go to the doctors, but always normal when I'm home when I test it) and it's supposed to help with the physical sides of anxiety/stress. To my understanding, it blocks receptors that release stress hormones.

By slowing down your heart rate, Propranolol can tackle the physical symptoms of anxiety and help you to feel calmer. Propranolol also inhibits the effects of the stress hormone noradrenaline, which further combats these physical anxiety symptoms.

I got the above from here.

It's truly interesting reading into how certain medications work on your body. Especially anything brain-related and what things like alcohol literally do to your brain structure along with how it imbalances certain chemicals which result in more anxiety/depression long-term (I've definitely been impacted by this). Honestly, I may try studying the brain somehow due to how interesting it is to me xD

any-study-you-do-on-your-brain-is-just-y

GitHub!

GFLClan.com | Browser.TF | Game Server Statistics | SUAS | GitLab

Twitter | Steam | FaceBook | YouTube | BattleLog | AlliedMods

GFL's Founder and old owner from 2011 to 2021

I think its both physical and mental for me, in the sense that, it makes me worry about stuff to the point that I become scared about doing things, especially with the added curse of social anxiety. Hell, even typing this is making me anxious, christ above.

Its hard to explain, sorry.

✨ it helped turned me into an alcoholic ✨

┍━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┑

spacer.png

┕━━—━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━┙