Roy

My Thoughts On GFL (More Informal)

Just now, Aurora said:

this post is really long

I WENT ALL OUT IN WHICH INCLUDED ME ROASTING THE FUCK OUT OF MYSELF AND IM HAPPY ABOUT IT

9 minutes ago, Joshy said:

I removed the video because I was worried about private matters, but was told that it would be allowed and so I re-added it.  Sorry.

It's okay! I was just trying to attack myself and nobody else really. Just wanted to show everyone what my flaws are and show I'm not this flawless figure some people make me out to be.

Posted  Edited by Duc2000

legitimately some of the best ideas I've seen in a while. someone should put this guy in charge

Edited by Duc2000

“I was so good at being a kid, and so terrible at being whatever I was now.”
― John Green, Turtles All the Way Down

Achievements

3 hours ago, RivalRevival said:

Can confirm the mic spam. 

You know me, I firmly believe gfl needs a thanos reboot, but I like the way you say it instead. 

I enjoy a good thanos reboot. Bring out the bot.

Average HL2RP Enjoyer.

Achievements

11 hours ago, Roy said:

If you want an example of this, you can watch a recorded demotion a long time ago with an old Division Leader named Violator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7IYDqfsE8E&ab_channel=ViolatorChicka

In the chat box: 

Spoiler

<15:52:19> You poked "Rick" with message: touch my penis

I started dying laughing as soon as I noticed that, and lost focus in the video lmao. Also, Butterking and Iron Gator... those names bring back so many good memories.

You really do make a lot of good points though, in this very, obnoxiously long, post. It's almost as if you ran it and know what you're talking about :lenny:

GFX1.thumb.png.c5c5371c03240785be325143d4584c4a.png

(Signature credit to @Clavers)

2 minutes ago, DaPainWayne said:

In the chat box: 

Hide contents

<15:52:19> You poked "Rick" with message: touch my penis

I started dying laughing as soon as I noticed that, and lost focus in the video lmao. Also, Butterking and Iron Gator... those names bring back so many good memories.

You really do make a lot of good points though, in this very, obnoxiously long, post. It's almost as if you ran it and know what you're talking about :lenny:

Thank you! And shaking my head @Rick xD

I'm not meaning to make you feel worse and I appreciate that you are taking the blame for it, but I suspect tunnel vision will kick in for a lot of readers and they're going to skim through parts until they see what they like.

The suggestions you are making are things that I really like too and you are far from the first person to suggest it (reference in server admins).  That being said: I think a lot of decisions were seeded and nurtured, and the challenges we see today have very deep roots.  Whenever anyone challenged it or said otherwise in 2016 I felt like they were quickly labeled as "toxic" or with a "bad attitude", and they were voted off the island.  Everything that was done had a message that was loud and clear, and it was very much different from the suggestions you're making today.

Had we done things different say for example a word never became against the rules, then nobody would bat an eye if it were used today.  Now that we have things in place there's a lot of pressure to act on it when things pop up on the radar and we have to make decisions that usually makes someone unhappy.  If we don't act on it then the person complaining or reporting it will be very much unhappy and will complain about us not fulfilling our roles as staff; similarly: the person being reported and punished for it is unhappy, and will say staff is being too hard on them maybe even personally biased towards them.  Because someone will always complain... we do have to do some political maneuvering to ensure we don't step on any landmines.

I don't think the revamps work well.  We've done lots of them and with many different groups including moderation.  I think because of the culture that has been nurtured the teams eventually converge back to their old ways.

On the bright side is that when I worked in customer service I could definitely point out which customers were upset.  They stick out like  sore thumb.  How about the happy customers who had rose pedals and red carpet treatment?  I don't know what it is, but these customers care less to say anything at all.  You need a very holistic view of your performance... sore thumb isn't a good measure, and GFL has always had one really big sore thumb no matter what we do.  It's not to say that I don't care and wont try to improve, but I wont lose any sleep at night thinking about it.

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

I do agree with CR. To me, it is pointless because, as you said, it's a popularity contest. With the constant campaigning from CR candidates and their friends, I don't see how a community vote is a viable way to introduce someone new to the fold. I'd like to see CR introduce some form of anonymity, with a clause stating that you can't identify yourself as a CR candidate to others and if you do you'll be disqualified from running, the posts will be anonymous so we can judge them based off the content of their... content, I guess, and that way, when push comes to shove, we have new faces, but we only know them based on what their posts say and what they can do for the community.

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Avi - Edit Reason: Wording clarification
20 minutes ago, Duck. said:

I do agree with CR. To me, it is pointless because, as you said, it's a popularity contest. With the constant campaigning from CR candidates and their friends, I don't see how a community vote is a viable way to introduce someone new to the fold. I'd like to see CR introduce some form of anonymity, with a clause stating that you can't identify yourself as a CR candidate to others and if you do you'll be disqualified from running, the posts will be anonymous so we can judge them based off the content of their... content, I guess, and that way, when push comes to shove, we have new faces, but we only know them based on what their posts say and what they can do for the community.

You know, I've seen this method actually work well in the real world; an organization I was a part of in school used this method. Nominees would fill out an application of questions they would respond to in short paragraphs. All identifiers were removed to prevent identifying the applicant (i.e. an example to relate to here if I were to say I am a server admin of Rotation, the identifying "rotation" part would be removed to make it harder to identify who I am). All members would read each application that were numbered instead of the person's name, and then select the people they felt would fit the role based on the number of slots we needed to fill. I actually like this idea and think it could make selections more about what a candidate could bring to the table instead of bringing their name.

Edited by Avi
Wording clarification

Posted  Edited by Rick

I agree with a lot you said here. Although my view is partially because im an old fuck and nostalgia im not here to bash on current GFL because current GFL is doing pretty good however obviously I agree with everything @Roy says about the GFL Politics. I think the system itself is a bit overboard for a gaming community and although its implementation to prevent true favourtism or the "popularity contest" it became the exact same thing. 

tbh half the people here are just around to play games and fuck around not get all fancy with literal crap. 

oh and there was a lot we did wrong back in the day but we learn from our mistakes and improve and that was the fun of it. 

Edited by Rick

Achievements

Posted  Edited by Nick

Trying my best to stay out of GFL politics since I have wasted too much of my life already on it through the years, haha, but I cannot help myself.

Firstly, I am glad that someone has finally called for the GFL Battle of the Roles 2021; I was afraid we were going to miss it! 😛

Politics & top-level leadership

Jokes aside, for a lot of people who don't know me and probably also a lot of people who do, it might come as a surprise that I am not a big fan of politics or bureaucracy. I do think gaming communities such as GFL would thrive a lot more under single-point leadership throughout the hierarchy, and I think we should strive more towards this in ranks such as SM and DL (where we somewhat often have multiple people with decision-making authority; I will talk a little more about this further down).

However, for quite some time GFL's owner has not been directly leading GFL. This is not to talk bad about you @Roy; I wouldn't wish the full responsibility of GFL on my worst enemy! With the owner and leadership being split up, bureaucracy was needed in order to somehow split the decision-making authority. Now I am very biased about this since I had a big part in the design, but I think Council is a very good solution to this specific problem. It is without a doubt as @Joshy also mentioned deeply rooted in earlier practices: in each iteration of the ranks being redone, a group of people in power had to agree on how to split the power (often among themselves, haha) which can only lead to bureaucracy. I fear it would only be possible to break this chain if we started completely over.

To simplify the top-level, I believe the owner and the leader of the entire community must be the same person, and that requires an insane amount of dedication and motivation; the kind I think you can only get from being excited about a new community you just started (e.g. Roy and SoJa in the early years). It would be nice, but I simply do not find it feasible at this point in GFL.

Simplification of hierarchy

I don't think I see a problem with our hierarchy at the moment; except at the top where it gets quite complicated due to the above. I think Teams is an important part of GFL which we need to focus more on building up to achieve our goals (I will talk a little more about this further down). I really wish I had some good ideas for this; I think the main issue I had as a TL was breaking the cycle of distrust. Some teams have historically not performed super well and thus have gotten a bad reputation which results in less requests from the rest of the community. It might be worthwhile to do a workshop for discussing improvements.

Trusting higher ranks

It is very nice that @Roy brings up trusting the people above you in the hierarchy to make changes to your server or similar; it is a big issue in GFL. In my time as staff, I have had to resolve many conflicts regarding an SM or a DL feeling stepped on... also felt stepped on myself which I did not handle particularly well. What I have always recommended is that the parties make an agreement on what they expect and so on where it is described e.g. when a DL can step in and fix a bug and so on. It does not have to be a super formal thing.

The important part is that trust and respect should go both ways. I don't believe we should force a mentality where you just have to "suck it up" if your superior changes something; ideally, no one should feel stepped on and everyone should be confident in what the other party is doing. This is hard, if not impossible, to do perfectly, but communication is key!

Give more people chances

I wholeheartedly agree that we should give more people chances in role such as SM and DL. I have for a long time been concerned about the requirements for these types of roles since we often require someone to be good at everything from staff management to the technical stuff. I apologize to people who had read this rant a million times before, haha.

I think it is vital that we built up a more reliant and trusted development team and TA rooster who will, as the names imply, be responsible for development and technical administration for all servers. Thus an SM or DL will have more time to focus on staff management, expansion, and so on. As mentioned earlier, I am not a fan of having multiple SMs, and the most common distinction between two co-managers is a technical and non-technical manager; this could hopefully eliminate the need for a technical manager.

The classic argument I hear when I bring this up is that some servers require a dedicated developer or something like that; this model would not prohibit that since the development team could allow a developer to primarily work on a specific server and for TA we already got divisional TAs.

This was also the main train of thought, when Division Representatives was designed for Council: I wanted a Council where DLs had a say, but without immensely inflating the requirements for being a DL (i.e. they'd also become part of Council), thus the compromise Well-Established Division was born as a way to give long-living divisions representation without discouraging the creation of new, experimental divisions with their own DL who likely should not be held to the same standards as a DL of a more well-established division.

All in all, use our teams, TAs, and so on more to simplify requirements for roles such as SM and DL, and in turn be more willing to let new people have a go at it.

I think I got around to say everything I wanted... plus a little more.

If I had more time, I would have written you a shorter letter.

Edited by Nick

Wanna know what I am up to? Take a look at my personal Trello board or my cards on the Development Trello board!

1 hour ago, Nick said:

it might come as a surprise that I am not a big fan of politics or bureaucracy.

hmm

71CFA5EE-923C-4740-ACF4-508B753C9AD7.png.92a0d40c0fa7773f71fea2453f581d16.png

(signature made by @Kaylode)

Previously known as Xy.

Twitter ❤️Ko-Fi ❤️Github

IMG_0248.jpg

ben_mixed_opinions.png

Posted  Edited by flying4ssassin
8 hours ago, Joshy said:

GFL has always had one really big sore thumb no matter what we do.  It's not to say that I don't care and wont try to improve, but I wont lose any sleep at night thinking about it.

I think part of the issue is that the people who are the sore thumbs are the ones who since if you are enjoying a game server and have no issues you don't really need to talk admins and stuff.

7 hours ago, Duck. said:

This would work, but are CR's even really needed? Like imma be honest, they don't do much and council doesn't do much. I think part of the issue I and others have had with it is that you get a shiny title and you get to be in council, but at the end of the day you can do most of the things you want to do as a CR without being a CR.

I guess what I am trying to say is, instead of trying fix a broken system, just get rid of it and quite honestly sorta dissolve council into a public meeting of directors, DLs, and maybe TLs. Of course council shit will still need to get done, but the directors are there to deal with that since they are directors for a reason. (Also before anyone mentions it, I am not salty about being removed from council since their reasoning was completely valid and quite honestly I would have done the same).

I think something that is not really mentioned here is that part of the reason why GFL politics suck is that people do not know what the role actually do. I saw this a lot during the last CR race where a lot of people had absolutely no clue what CR was and then when they had it explained still did not understand it that well. Another example I have seen is with people expecting DLs and people to be directly involved and micromanage stuff since they see the fancy color and the cool title. I think most the GFL politics issues cannot easily be solved (other than yeeted everyone involved but that is not really a solution, it is more of avoidance) and that a lot of it could be solved by just explaining more of the inner workings of GFL more and be upfront about stuff like, "yes favoritism does exist when choosing for certain roles but that is because he know the person and believe they are capable to do the task and while there are other capable they have not really shown that are". That wording is kinda shit but I think it gets my point across. I tried doing this while I was SM for TTT MC and it sorta worked but it never really did anything since the server died and only caused problems no matter what was done (this is part of the reason why I resigned from it).

Anyway this is a great post and is basically what I had no clue how to put into words lol

Edited by flying4ssassin

b_560_95_1.png

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

Issue with anonymous voting is that sometimes I have to know the exact person I am voting for. I understand the purpose of anomynity as it "levels the playing field".  But there could be candidates that have left a bad taste in my mouth, or that I would know wouldnt be that good at performing CR things. It also allows me to research the candidates name and history.

Take American presidential candidates for example. Candidate " bitch ima cow" and " suck my nuts". Candidate "bitch im a cow" has had long history of advocating for poopsocks. The "suck my nuts"  guy has had a long history of being anti poop sock. I am in which in favor of poop socks. The candidate "suck my nuts" also eats puppies for breakfast in which i find egregious. Especially if I am given the candidates name, I can research more about them. Like I never knew "bitch im a cow" killed Osama Bin Laden, pretty cool!

I also dont know how cr anoymous questions would look like. My bet is that most of them will look pretty similiar and it would be harder to discern who to pick for. Then it would become a game of ini mini mini mo. unless if the questions are executed well.

But Beaker, this is cringe! You basically admit here theres people who you'll never vote for if you knew they were participating, hence favoritism and bias. That's the point of the anonymity, to remove any preconception of those issues.

I'm also keen for the dissolution of CR though, doesn't seem like a worthwhile role much.

Achievements