Joshy

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) launched

Posted  Edited by Joshy

I thought this was a piece of cool news, but I didn't watch the launch because I found out too last minute and it was launched on a holiday.  A little sad they didn't leave a copy of the launch video directly on the website (or it's not clear to me): https://www.jwst.nasa.gov/content/webbLaunch/countdown.html but links to their social media sharing pictures are pretty cool.

Errmm.. I don't think anyone will watch the 2 hour videos unless they want to look it up.  Probably low chance of getting the spark notes version of the launch only 10 minutes looked at too, but I'll share it anyways.  Not too bad.

Some other cool and short video.

If you're curious of it more technical details then this is the video NASA points to on the website.

The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is suppose to be a follow up to another famous telescope called Hubble Space Telescope.  It's used for astronomy.  Anyone in astronomy will be pretty well aware of it and a lot of images you've seen in your astronomy textbooks probably came from it. 

I've seen the JWST with my own eyes while they were testing it at NASA Johnson Space Center in Texas.  Posted a small pic here where you can see a person working on it.  I was quite fond of that work and got a commemorative pin.  A lot of people at a later place I worked at talked heavy smack about the project especially due to the delays and budget (which were massive), and they thought the pin I was wearing was a phased array antenna... it's really the iconic golden mirrors on the JWST.

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152

Posted  Edited by Joshy
On 12/26/2021 at 5:53 AM, Waylon Smithers said:

Wow what a cool telescope! Bit of a waste of money since I got mine dirt cheap!

(Photo for reference (MY TELESCOPE!))

Untitleddesign-2020-12-09T121459.742.jpg?v=1607476528

It's made its first discovery!  Hrm that's strange it looks the same in all directions

gMVpwn9.jpg

Edited by Joshy

PoorWDm.png?width=360&height=152